Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm

13 46.43%
  • FN PS90

15 53.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm or FN PS90?

Its for a chrismas present for my fiance. Shes left handed so either gun would fit the bill in that aspect. She has handled both and likes the ergos equally. We are planning on doing some practical shoots which sometimes shoot out to 200 yards, though that would probably only be a small portion of overall shooting. Most shooting would be within 100 yards. I have weighed the pros and cons of each and I can't make a decision. Here's what I've come up with:

CX4 Storm:

Pros:
    Ammo is way cheaper and more readily available. Already have 1,000 rnds stored.
    Different ammo options are available.
    Initial cost of gun is about half as a PS90
    Could be quieter (if using subsonic ammunition)

Cons:
    Less range than PS90. About 100 yards as opposed to 200
    20 round mags are expensive at 45 bucks
    Low capacity, mags higher than 20 rounds not currently available.
    Cannot be fitted with suppressor due to import laws.

FN PS90:

Pros:
    More range, reaches out to 200 yards no problem.
    Mags are super high capacity.
    Recoil is very low.
    Could be suppressed

Cons:
    The gun is twice as expensive as the CX4 storm
    Ammo is very expensive and not as readily availible.
    SS190 (the right ammo for the PS90) is nearly impossible to get.
    Performance of the PC "sporting" cartridge is questionable.
    The super high velocity round probably wont suppress well.

One other thing I should add. The CX4 storm that I'm considering is the one that takes the PX4 storm magazines. Its $629.00. I would prefer the beretta 92 mags as they are available in 30/32 rounders, but that version is $170 more (799.00) than the one I'm looking at.

HELP!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm or FN PS90?

I guess one thing to consider would be what you want to do with the gun.

The 5.7 is undoubtedly the superior defensive caliber. On the other hand something chambered in 9mm might be easier on the budget if the main purpose is shooting for fun.

Also it's a ton of fun to shoot steel with a long gun, which a pistol caliber carbine is great for. The 5.7 will crater most steel targets that are designed for pistol calibers. I only mention this because I love shooting steel, and have been eyeing a pistol caliber carbine for just this purpose.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    I guess one thing to consider would be what you want to do with the gun.

The 5.7 is undoubtedly the superior defensive caliber. On the other hand something chambered in 9mm might be easier on the budget if the main purpose is shooting for fun.

Also it's a ton of fun to shoot steel with a long gun, which a pistol caliber carbine is great for. The 5.7 will crater most steel targets that are designed for pistol calibers. I only mention this because I love shooting steel, and have been eyeing a pistol caliber carbine for just this purpose.
    Good point, I hadn't considered shooting at steel. I often shoot steel in my backyard with suppressed 22's, but a 9mm would be too loud for my neighborhood. We usually shoot at Wicens and I don't think they allow shooting steel. However its something to consider because shooting steel is definitely fun. The main purpose of this gun is to have fun (and train) but I DO want something that would work for defense. I know 9mm is probably not the best option, but I think it would get the job done. Look at all the MP40's, Stens, and MP5's have killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. Of course, budget is a huge factor. If I spring for the PS90, I wont be able to buy more than a couple boxes of ammo, for at least a few months until I financially recover from the plunge!

(Bucks County)

PS90 definately has the cool factor over the beretta but the PS90 also costs almost twice as much. if money is no object in terms of purchasing the PS90 and feeding it then i would go with the PS90. if you get the PS90 go with the triple rail model so you can set it up with your choice of optics.

i had a storm and should have kept it it was a fun gun to shot and i had the model that took the 92 mags. i didn't like the butthole stock on the beretta and eventhough mine was chambered in 9mm it was a tad uncomfortable to shoot because it recoiled upward punching me in the cheek everytime i fired it.

it's a tough decision but i think i'd go with the storm since it'll be cheaper to buy and feed.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    PS90 definately has the cool factor over the beretta but the PS90 also costs almost twice as much. if money is no object in terms of purchasing the PS90 and feeding it then i would go with the PS90. if you get the PS90 go with the triple rail model so you can set it up with your choice of optics.

i had a storm and should have kept it it was a fun gun to shot and i had the model that took the 92 mags. i didn't like the butthole stock on the beretta and eventhough mine was chambered in 9mm it was a tad uncomfortable to shoot because it recoiled upward punching me in the cheek everytime i fired it.

it's a tough decision but i think i'd go with the storm since it'll be cheaper to buy and feed.
    Thanks! Don't tell anyone but I'm leaning towards the CX4 anyway Money is definitely an object. If it wasn't, I'd buy two of each!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Good point, I hadn't considered shooting at steel. I often shoot steel in my backyard with suppressed 22's, but a 9mm would be too loud for my neighborhood. We usually shoot at Wicens and I don't think they allow shooting steel. However its something to consider because shooting steel is definitely fun. The main purpose of this gun is to have fun (and train) but I DO want something that would work for defense. I know 9mm is probably not the best option, but I think it would get the job done. Look at all the MP40's, Stens, and MP5's have killed hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people. Of course, budget is a huge factor. If I spring for the PS90, I wont be able to buy more than a couple boxes of ammo, for at least a few months until I financially recover from the plunge!
    there's not a thing wrong with using 9mm for self defense. i challenge anyone who says the 9mm is inferior to let me shoot them in the head with one. shot placement is vastly more important than caliber.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    The 5-7 is not very good at all.

Why not go with an AR with ambi controls? Flatter shooting out to 200 yards... Does the 5.7x28 even do well out there given that it is a PDW round? I know folks run them to 100 no problem, but I am unsure on 200.

An AR would suppress half decent, but another option would be an AR in 9mm with the same ambi lower. Mags are common and there are plenty of stock options as well.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Delaware County)

My father got me an PS90 for Christmas a few years ago. In one sentence, the novelty still has not worn off.

Awesome gun to have and my last and current girlfriends loved killing paper with them. I would say thumbs way up for the fiance. And unless this is going to be a serious defensive weapon system for her, i wouldn't worry about the difference between the 5.7 and 9mm stats/stopping power. For a range toy its a blast.
    Last edited by VinF88; December 13th, 2010 at 01:38 AM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The 5-7 is not very good at all.

Why not go with an AR with ambi controls? Flatter shooting out to 200 yards... Does the 5.7x28 even do well out there given that it is a PDW round? I know folks run them to 100 no problem, but I am unsure on 200.

An AR would suppress half decent, but another option would be an AR in 9mm with the same ambi lower. Mags are common and there are plenty of stock options as well.
    I tried to get her to like AR's, but she hates them. Hates the ergo's, hates the look, and hates the fact that I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by VinF88 View Post
    My father got me an PS90 for Christmas a few years ago. In one sentence, the novelty still has not worn off.

Awesome gun to have and my last and current girlfriends loved killing paper with them. I would say thumbs way up for the fiance. And unless this is going to be a serious defensive weapon system for her, i wouldn't worry about the difference between the 5.7 and 9mm stats/stopping power. For a range toy its a blast.
    Thanks, honestly I'm not worried about the "stopping power" too much, more so the range. Also cost, of course.

(Northampton County)

seems like the beretta is better for the uses SHE intends for... also consider it in .40sw but then the 20 round mags are not available...
    i shot the standard 9mm storm with a vertical front grip honestly its pretty dam good for the money

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast