Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Crossbow or Compound Bow

I'm going to begin archery hunting next season I owned a PSE compound bow and 3d target had to sell prior to hunting season due to financial problems at the time. I have since shot a crossbow belonging to my buddy and i'm far more accurate but then again i have limited experience. I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on which to use for my first season.
    "I would rather have my freedom and face the danger."

(Berks County)

Default Re: Crossbow or Compound Bow

I caved in and got a crossbow because I wasn't that good with a bow. I shot two really nice bucks in the past three years with it. One would have scored Pope and Young but won't count because it was taken with a crossbow. After murdering this last one at twelve yards, It's lost something and not as exciting. I even felt dirty inside like I cheated. Next year I'm going back to try and practice getting better with the bow and arrow. Maybe even use my dad's custom long bow(he just died in Febuary). Many states don't even consider crossbows sporting weapons. Taking a doe with a bow and arrow means a lot more than shooting a nice buck with a crossbow. Do yourself a favor before you cross over to the darkside. Try a regular compound bow. Taxidermist told me that crossbows increased his business 50%. I shot two practice arrows this year and put them in a 2 inch ring at twenty yards, then went hunting. Aim and shoot. no skill required.As with the introduction of early inline muzzzleloader, the game commission just wants to sell licenses.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sixstringer View Post
    I caved in and got a crossbow because I wasn't that good with a bow. I shot two really nice bucks in the past three years with it. One would have scored Pope and Young but won't count because it was taken with a crossbow. After murdering this last one at twelve yards, It's lost something and not as exciting. I even felt dirty inside like I cheated. Next year I'm going back to try and practice getting better with the bow and arrow. Maybe even use my dad's custom long bow(he just died in Febuary). Many states don't even consider crossbows sporting weapons. Taking a doe with a bow and arrow means a lot more than shooting a nice buck with a crossbow. Do yourself a favor before you cross over to the darkside. Try a regular compound bow. Taxidermist told me that crossbows increased his business 50%. I shot two practice arrows this year and put them in a 2 inch ring at twenty yards, then went hunting. Aim and shoot. no skill required.As with the introduction of early inline muzzzleloader, the game commission just wants to sell licenses.
    I'm glad you brought this up part of the doubt I had in crossbows was I would feel like I am cheating and only extending rifle season for myself. I think for just the pure challenge it will provide I think I'm going to stick with the compound but still am undecided at the moment

(Chester County)

Compound bow. Practice, practice, practice. With enough practice you can be just as accurate with a compound bow as you can a crossbow without that "fake" archery feeling.

(Delaware County)

I agree with the posts above however I still hunt with both the compound and the crossbow. Just depends on where I am hunting at the time. From my experience the crossbow (mine at least) is a more effective weapon when wanting a quick kill. If I am hunting in an area where the deer I shoot may run onto private property, a highway, into a public park, or anywhere I would rather keep it from getting to I take the crossbow. If I am in one of my stands that is hundreds of yards from anything then I hunt with the compound. I love the challenge, but I love having meat in the freezer too.

(Montgomery County)

As a neophyte to archery (I purchased a compound bow during the summer) and having zero experience with a crossbow I would say give the compound a try. Compound bows have lower draw weights yet they shoot arrows almost as fast as bolts from a crossbow.

Good and extensive practice, a high quality release, good arrows and a properly set up bow will lead to great success with archery. I have maybe 40 hours of practice in with my bow and I can shoot 2 inch groups at 20 yards until I get tired. I have already killed my first carbon arrow by shooting another into the nock.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Iraqvet, if you want, i have an almost brand new Hoyt RazorTec sitting in storage that i can not draw back. i injured my back 2 years ago and have to use a crossbow to archery hunt. if you want, i will let you borrow it to see how it shoots for you. i can set it up to fit you since i was an archery tech that worked on bows for about 9 years. if you like it, i'll sell it to ya for cheap as a thank you for serving our country.

here's the bow and setup, everything would be included, bow, sight, rest, release, 3 dozen arrows, and case:

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

That is very nice of you I would love to be able to test before purchase maybe even get some pointers from someone experienced and that is a very nice looking bow and would hate to see it go to waste

(Allegheny County)

PM on the way
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Turns out we have actually spoke before in person so that's crazy
    Last edited by IraqVeteran87; December 12th, 2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast