Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Mosin 91/30 7.62x54 or Savage edge 30-06?

Having a hard time picking which rifle I want for my first serious caliber long arm. As a medical student on a limited budget the mosin plus 880 rounds or a new savage for $250 is pretty hard to choose between.

Anyone have experience with the savage edge in 30-06? Is the savage anymore accurate at 100 yards than the mosin?

Thanks guys!

(Erie County)

Default Re: Mosin 91/30 7.62x54 or Savage edge 30-06?

There is really no comparison. Accuracy is the norm from a Savage edge, a rare from a Mosin. You won't be sorry with the Edge but you probably will be disappointed with the Mosin. I've had 3 91/30s and the best one gets a 5 inch group on a good day. The Savage gets a 2" group on a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    Having a hard time picking which rifle I want for my first serious caliber long arm. As a medical student on a limited budget the mosin plus 880 rounds or a new savage for $250 is pretty hard to choose between.

Anyone have experience with the savage edge in 30-06? Is the savage anymore accurate at 100 yards than the mosin?

Thanks guys!

Are you planning on using the rifle to hunt? If you are just looking for a range gun, the Mosin Nagant will serve you well.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

There is really no comparison. I have a Nagant and I love it but its not a gun I would use to win any accuracy contest. The technology is old, the gun is heavy and the trigger basically sucks.

Zet70 - whats the purpose of the gun. If its just for target shooting I suggest a .223. A lot cheaper and not as much kick for just having fun.

(Northumberland County)

Like comparing apples and oranges. Both the M/N and Savage are good at what they were meant to do, but they were meant for drastically different purposes. One is a weapon of war while the other is a good quality entry-level rifle. If you just want a fun/range gun, then definitely consider the Mosin. They're built like tanks, cost next to nothing to shoot, and can be had for under $100 out the door. If you want true accuracy though, the Savage is the way to go. Savage has one of the best reputations for producing inexpensive, yet accurate, centerfire rifles. Also, the fit and finish on a Savage will be lightyears ahead of the average Mosin's. Another thing to consider is the overall comfort of the gun, both for carrying (if you intend to hunt with it) and for shooting. The Mosin will weigh more, comes with a metal butt-plate, and is likely to transfer more felt recoil to you.

If it were me and I had the money to put a decent scope on it (don't forget you'll need optics for the Savage), I would definitely buy the Edge. You really can't go wrong with either gun, but I know that I personally would be happier with the Savage.

(Berks County)

It would generally be for plinking/ shtf. I have an AK and other carbines and just wanted something deadly put to 100 yards that I could afford to shoot. I know the .54r packs a punch but then I saw cabelas special on the edge. Is the extra cost of the edge plus the cost of the 30-06 worth it over the mosin and a case of ammo? I realize they are completely different beasts, just wondering if I should just get the savage at that deal and hardly shoot it or the mosin and shoot it weekly.......

I figure either gun will outlast me as I know both are of good quailty, just different tolerences.

Now what if I decided on .223. Would it beat the MN as a plinker? Is the larger caliber MN worth the 5" groups over the 1" savage groups with the smaller round? I leaning towards the MN and a Carlo stock.
    Last edited by Zet70; December 13th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.

It would generally be for plinking/ shtf. I have an AK and other carbines and just wanted something deadly put to 100 yards that I could afford to shoot. I know the .54r packs a punch but then I saw cabelas special on the edge. Is the extra cost of the edge plus the cost of the 30-06 worth it over the mosin and a case of ammo? I realize they are completely different beasts, just wondering if I should just get the savage at that deal and hardly shoot it or the mosin and shoot it weekly.......

I figure either gun will outlast me as I know both are of good quailty, just different tolerences.

Now what if I decided on .223. Would it beat the MN as a plinker? Is the larger caliber MN worth the 5" groups over the 1" savage groups with the smaller round? I leaning towards the MN and a Carlo stock.
    I'd get the Mosin if your planning on shooting it a lot, I know they can do better than a 5" group as well, mine will do 3" when I'm having a good day. I have 3 Mosins a 91/30, a M44 and a 91/30 that had ben sporterized (badly) that I redid with a M38 stock

They're cheap, ammo is cheap, fun to shoot, kick like a mule, throw a 4 foot fireball and just look mean
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Bucks County)

It sounds to me that you would be better suited with the MN. It's going to have that kick you want. Ammo is pretty cheap and they are just a plain blast to shoot. I'm no expert at shooting long range but you should be able to hit clay pigeons at 100 yards without to much practice.

(Allegheny County)

Go for the Mosin. Cheaper rifle up front, cheaper ammo for shooting fun, and it's a piece of history. Plus if you want to upgrade the trigger at some point, you can do it cheaply:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...job-for-Mosins

(Allegheny County)

here's a monkey wrench in the works for you

since you have an ak for shtf
    just buy a .22lr and lots and lots of ammo for about the same price.
    you can shoot every day then.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast