Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Came face to face with a possible burglar, definite meth-head

now that i have some time ill share this story that happened about a week or two ago.

Background: a string of burglaries took place around my home last year by criminals posing as hunters asking for permission to hunt the land that would knock on doors and if no one answered, would rob the home.

Story: i came in from hunting that morning (bow season, WMU 5C) and was alone in the house all day, as the rest of my family had plans. i was at my computer when i heard my doorbell and knocks at my door. i thought it was a ups guy or something and ignored it. more, louder knocking. i walked out of the second floor room i was in and looked out the front window. there was an old, black pickup truck in my driveway i had never seen and wasnt my neighbors', and since i live off of a private road, to even access my driveway you need to tresspass.

we have legitimate hunters ask for permission to hunt our land or track wounded deer through our property sometimes so i assumed that might be what the guy wanted. however, i went and strapped on my .45 in a crossbreed quikclip just in case, pulled my shirt over it, and went to the door.

i looked at the guy through a window by the door before opening it. he had on a camo sweatshirt and blue jeans, no weapon visible, but looked like a sketchy homeless guy (dirty, disheveled). i cracked open the door and he seemed suprised that someone answered. i asked if i could help him and he sorta went "uhh, um, well i was just huntin aroun here and, are you the property owner?" the guy's speech was messed up, and if you google image "meth head" im sure his face will come up.

"yeah"

"hmm, yeah, wull i was jus huntin aroun here and does someone hunt here?"

"i hunt here"

"Ok, wull i was jus huntin aroun here and thought id stop by and say hi and... good luck with the season!"

"Um... ok... thanks?"

The guy turns and gets back in his truck and drives off and i watch to make sure he leaves the neighborhood.

now maybe this was just a strung out hunter, but it was VERY sketchy, and he never asked permission to hunt my land.

this is a perfect reason to buy a pistol, because otherwise i would have had to answer the door with a shotgun, etc. or gun-less, and meeting every new person at my door that may or may not be a threat with a long gun is a little off-putting in my opinion.

anyways, never heard from the guy again.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Came face to face with a possible burglar, definite meth-head

interesting. so some random guy shows up at your door, to ask if you hunt on YOUR LAND, and then wishes you a happy hunting season?

people these days...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

I've run into a few of them up near Centralia in the woods. There is NO mistaking a meth-head! You run into one and you instantly know it. As you are aware, they aren't any fun to have around either. It left me with a 'skin-crawling' feeling, like I could catch something from them just from being in close proximity.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Came face to face with a possible burglar, definite meth-head

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    There is NO mistaking a meth-head! You run into one and you instantly know it.
    Explain, please.

(Lancaster County)

I think you did the right thing, and I think it was suspicious, the only thing I would have done different was to make a note of the plate of the truck. Then I probably would have contacted the local PD and ask for the investigating officer of the previous burglaries and tell them what happened. It's leads like that, that help police solve crimes.

If the guy was just a nobody, then no harm, no foul, but it would give the police something to follow up with.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    Explain, please.

What's to explain? Google it. 'Meth head', 'meth mouth', 'meth addiction', etc. They're easy to identify.

OP, you were right to be cautious. The guy was obviously up to no good. I would have called the police for sure.
    Last edited by DC2.2GSR; December 12th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs down Re: Came face to face with a possible burglar, definite meth-head

Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    What's to explain? Google it. 'Meth head', 'meth mouth', 'meth addiction', etc. They're easy to identify.
    So much for making conversation here, eh?

Thanks for the useless post, pal.

(Bucks County)

Explain, please.

Easy: Pock-marked skin from constantly scratching at 'things' crawling on them, heads bobbing around like a chicken pecking, hollow, deep set eyes, the whole hyper-nervous aura. Like I said, it ain't difficult to spot one. You'll know it when you see one.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    Easy: Pock-marked skin from constantly scratching at 'things' crawling on them, heads bobbing around like a chicken pecking, hollow, deep set eyes, the whole hyper-nervous aura. Like I said, it ain't difficult to spot one. You'll know it when you see one.
    I'm still confused, which one here is a meth head?

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

So much for making conversation here, eh?

Thanks for the useless post, pal.
    If we're talking about useless posts, I'd say two words and a 'confused' smiley tops anything this thread will see.

I can't imagine I'm the only one that looked at your scant post and took it as you being 'that guy' and trying to start a politically correct "How do you know he was on meth? Lets not accuse the guy of being a drug addict without knowing his situation" conversation... which is completely ridiculous.

If I'm wrong, and I easily could be, maybe your post and future posts would be easier to interpret with more than a couple of words.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast