Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default AK 20 round single stack mags?

Ok, I've had AK fever for the past few weeks. Figured it'd keep my AR15 company while I'm not shooting them.

I picked up a WASR10/63 (OMG it's going to blow up in my face!). I had the choice between double stack and single stack. I knowingly chose single stack knowing it can't fit regular 30 round double stack AK mags. It was $100 cheaper than the double stack. And when you're only spending just a few hundred, that's a lot of savings!

So I went with the single stack knowing if I wanted, I could dremel it to fit double stacks. But, before I do this, Is there anybody out there who makes 20 round single stack AK mags? Anyone at all? I can't find them. I've looked everywhere I know to look. I'd be perfectly happy with 20 rounds. Hell, I'm happy with 10. I bought this AK for the sake of wanting an AK, and as a fun plinking toy. I have the AR loaded with Hornady TAP if anything serious goes down.

So.... 20 round single stacks?

(Berks County)

Default Re: AK 20 round single stack mags?

No sir. Ten is max due to the import restrictions. I chose single stack because it's jersey legal. Which means it'll bring a premium if you decide to ever sell it in a restriction state. You can find the single stack ten round mags on AK forums for cheap though from guys who did convert over. So far I'm up to 5 ten rounders and three 5 rounders. You should pay less than $10 shipped for a mag.

Personally I think the mini-draganov look is way cooler than the Somali ak look

(Indiana County)

I've never seen any.

But, since you mention opening up your magwell, I assume you have some skills or are at least not afraid to hack up some parts. If so, since we live in a state that does not limit mag capacity, you might want to try making some frankenmags out of some of the cheap 10 rounders.

I used to make 30(or 32/33, whatever ended up fitting) round mags from two 20rnd FAL mags.
    With the FAL mags, I would simply strip them and using a bandsaw, cut the top off of one, the bottom off of the other, sand to a straight edge, insert a wooden block that I fitted into the mag bodies, mig weld using a spot pattern, grind welds, reassemble using the standard 20rnd spring, and low and behold, a 30 round FAL mag.
    I made a couple dozen or so of these for me and my friends before I got some South African 30 rounders.

I would assume that the same could be done with the 10's that come with the single stack guns.
    It might be a stretch to get 20 rounds into a homemade mag, but I would guess 15/16 to be easily obtainable.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I've never seen any.

But, since you mention opening up your magwell, I assume you have some skills or are at least not afraid to hack up some parts. If so, since we live in a state that does not limit mag capacity, you might want to try making some frankenmags out of some of the cheap 10 rounders.

I used to make 30(or 32/33, whatever ended up fitting) round mags from two 20rnd FAL mags.
    With the FAL mags, I would simply strip them and using a bandsaw, cut the top off of one, the bottom off of the other, sand to a straight edge, insert a wooden block that I fitted into the mag bodies, mig weld using a spot pattern, grind welds, reassemble using the standard 20rnd spring, and low and behold, a 30 round FAL mag.
    I made a couple dozen or so of these for me and my friends before I got some South African 30 rounders.

I would assume that the same could be done with the 10's that come with the single stack guns.
    It might be a stretch to get 20 rounds into a homemade mag, but I would guess 15/16 to be easily obtainable.
    I'd think somebody would make some 20 or 30 round single stacks. That sucks.

I think I'd feel better grinding out the receiver, haha.

It's hard to tell, since this is my first AK. Some people say that grinding out the opening is the only modification needed. Others say some internal work is needed as well. I'm not sure. I'm not just going to go to town without knowing for sure.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    I'd think somebody would make some 20 or 30 round single stacks. That sucks.

I think I'd feel better grinding out the receiver, haha.

It's hard to tell, since this is my first AK. Some people say that grinding out the opening is the only modification needed. Others say some internal work is needed as well. I'm not sure. I'm not just going to go to town without knowing for sure.
    I was an FFL and still work with my former partner that is a gunsmith, while I'm sure that there are a few guys out there that have opened up their single stacks with a dremel and files, I'll bet that there are more guys that have royally screwed it up.
    A local dealer bought a raftload of the single stacks on a buy from Century and my buddy did a few on the mill, it was easy going on the mill, and after seeing it done that way, I would never have the patience to do it by hand.

Anyway, good luck in your search.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I was an FFL and still work with my former partner that is a gunsmith, while I'm sure that there are a few guys out there that have opened up their single stacks with a dremel and files, I'll bet that there are more guys that have royally screwed it up.
    A local dealer bought a raftload of the single stacks on a buy from Century and my buddy did a few on the mill, it was easy going on the mill, and after seeing it done that way, I would never have the patience to do it by hand.

Anyway, good luck in your search.
    Is this something most gunsmiths could do? I'm in no hurry to do this, but it'd be nice to know if I decide to do it in the future.

I've ported and polished cylinder heads, I wouldn't think this could be TOO difficult. But, I'm still pretty new to firearms in general, and this is my first "AK" rifle.

(Bucks County)

Its cake if you lay it out and take your time.

The problem with 20-30rnd single stack mags is that they would drag the floor they would be so long. I have a 40rnd mag that is meant to go on my RPK and its almost too long.

BTW, when did the Somalis start making AK's?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Its cake if you lay it out and take your time.

The problem with 20-30rnd single stack mags is that they would drag the floor they would be so long. I have a 40rnd mag that is meant to go on my RPK and its almost too long.

BTW, when did the Somalis start making AK's?

Well yeah, that's why I was manly concerned with a 20 round because it'd probably be equal to the size of a 30 round double stack, give or take an inch. I'd be happy with 20 rounds and the "look" of the normal "banana clip" magazines that is normal with AK's.

I guess I'll just have to break out the grinder. Or if I don't have the balls to cut into, the cheapest gun I own, I'll ask around at different shops.

Is it legal? I believe the way it's sold is as a "sporting model", but I also think it has all the US made 922r compliance parts as well. It says TAPCO on the trigger, so I'm assuming. In the past, I've gotten fucked big time by assuming things whether it be with cars, girls, or life in general.

(Allegheny County)

It's easy Rich. DIY car guys have a huge edge on the average gun only type of guys. A little dremeling of a magwell is a joke compared to half the shit required to make "bolt on parts" actually bolt on. (A car)

If you really want to do it the easy way, grab a double stack AK and make an imprint of the magwell with some tape and a pencil to lay over the magwell of the single stacker. Then good a KNOWN GOOD double stack mag and start cutting.

It's a far messier job than it is difficult. If you get totally stuck, bring it over. I'd be happy to help anyone who owns an AK AND an Evo... since I'm a big fan of both.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It's easy Rich. DIY car guys have a huge edge on the average gun only type of guys. A little dremeling of a magwell is a joke compared to half the shit required to make "bolt on parts" actually bolt on. (A car)

If you really want to do it the easy way, grab a double stack AK and make an imprint of the magwell with some tape and a pencil to lay over the magwell of the single stacker. Then good a KNOWN GOOD double stack mag and start cutting.

It's a far messier job than it is difficult. If you get totally stuck, bring it over. I'd be happy to help anyone who owns an AK AND an Evo... since I'm a big fan of both.
    Haha awesome. My bro-in-law has a double stack AK, I could borrow one of his mags. So there is absolutely no internal mods that need done? About 1/2" inside the magwell, there are two "L" shaped "rails" almost exactly the same width as the magwell. Do those need modified? I'm thinking no, since there are double stack, single feed mags as opposed to AR's double stack, double feed type mags. But, I've been wrong before

I'm pretty decent with a die grinder, but like I said, firearms are still a little new to me. I'm not sure what I can and can't do without fucking them up. With cars, I know what I can cut and what I can't and what I can throw away, or what I need to keep so it runs efficiently. Like if I accidentally cut out a little bit too much of the magwell, would there just be a little bit of mag movement that could cause feed issues? Would the single stack mag then be totally useless? I'm kinda nervous

Speaking of cars, my Evo hasn't seen any love lately other than maintenance and me driving it like it should be driven. I'm at the point where bolt-on's are done and from here on, it starts getting crazy expensive. Honestly, I've just really been enjoying it the way it is, and I can't wait for snow

And thanks for the offer, I'll defiantly keep it in mind!

And since I hate threads without pictures, I figured... what the hell. So far they're getting along.

I'll have to break my DSLR and get some good pictures..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast