Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New-ish Hunter Here...

Alright, so ive been hunting for about the last four years (im 17). i love being in the woods and the excitement that follows, but i havent really even seen any game when im out hunting. I just tried out a new spot (a 440 acre farm) and saw absolutely nothing other than a possum the other person i go with used to hunt when he was young and never got anything (My Uncle, he started back up because of me and his son is now taking an interest in hunting). But can anyone give me some tips that might improve my chances of actually getting something? Usually we walk around the edges of the fields and sometimes through the woods but rarely sit (which i think is our problem, we sometimes sit at the top of a hill and look over at the edges of the woods/fields.) is this a good thing to do? We also hunt around 8am-12. From what ive read this is when deer are more active (and dusk). But anyway is their any techniques i can do to help better my chances? Thanks again! (oh and by the way i hunt in allegheny county).
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: New-ish Hunter Here...

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Alright, so ive been hunting for about the last four years (im 17). i love being in the woods and the excitement that follows, but i havent really even seen any game when im out hunting. I just tried out a new spot (a 440 acre farm) and saw absolutely nothing other than a possum the other person i go with used to hunt when he was young and never got anything (My Uncle, he started back up because of me and his son is now taking an interest in hunting). But can anyone give me some tips that might improve my chances of actually getting something? Usually we walk around the edges of the fields and sometimes through the woods but rarely sit (which i think is our problem,.) is this a good thing to do? We also hunt around 8am-12. From what ive read this is when deer are more active (and dusk). But anyway is their any techniques i can do to help better my chances? Thanks again! (oh and by the way i hunt in allegheny county).

Usually we walk around the edges of the fields and sometimes through the woods but rarely sit.

we sometimes sit at the top of a hill and look over at the edges of the woods/fields

We also hunt around 8am-12

While these techniques aren't horrible, they are not too refined. One walking around the edges can and do kick up deer, but its probably not going to present you with a high percentage shot. After the first day, deer are really feeling the pressure of hunting, and trying to find themselves a safe place to hide, which normally means either an area that no hunting is allowed by anyone (some parks, farms that allow no one in, company owned properties) or they go to some of the thickest brier infested spots around. Those thickets, while they can hold and produce sightings of deer, they also make for some very tough shooting.

Sitting on top of a hill isn't too bad either sometimes, but once again the deer crossing the fields during gun season can be at a decent distance from you (100+ yards) and the deer that will be in the field for the most part aren't interested in the corn leftovers, they are more than likely being pushed by another hunter, so those deer aren't going to be moving too slow to cross the field. But with a seat, and a good pair of shooting sticks this method can produce deer, and some nice bucks if you're lucky. When deer are kicked up and pressured, they will panic and take the fastest route away from the threat, sometimes leading them into your sights. Another little tip, if you can over look a hill side, but be on the edge of a good thicket, that can also increase your odds, if there is a good amount of hunting pressure on or around your farm.

The time that you guys hunt is probably what I disagree with the most. All though during gun season, there isn't a real "prime time", especially after opening day. But none the less I still believe that being in you 'spot', stand or seat, prior to first light. Even though deer are in complete survival mode during rifle season, they still need to eat. Since the day is pretty much consumed with avoiding hunters, the only real time the deer can try to relax and get some food, is during the night. That's why I like being set up in my stand 20-30 mins before shooting light to try to catch them as they are coming back to their bedding area, you can get there earlier, but it can be cold and with the hour after daylight being the coldest, its a more of a preference of how long prior to shooting light you want to be in your stand.

I always hunt the woods first, sometimes I'll get bored and do a little walking around but sitting in a tree is my preference. I'll try to set up in the woods, where I have a good amount of visibility, hunting known travel routes from archery season, but I will refine my stand location to provide me with more options. I like being able to at least see a thicket that I believe would be a go to spot for pressured deer.

I try to keep in mind that while I cannot cover every good avenue that deer are going to use, I want to have good shooting lanes to at least two of : a known travel route; an entrance to a thicket/shooting lanes into the thicket itself; a field amongst a few other factors, but those three things will produce. A rifle stand/hunting location allows you many options, you do not have to split the distance right in half to try to hunt a thicket and travel route. If I have to be 20 yards from the thicket and 75 yards from the field or travel route to give me good, high percentage shooting lanes for both, take it. The shooting lanes are key to having success, you might have a great spot but all you will be is a spectator without shooting lanes.

If you can try to get out and scout your areas prior to rifle season (if you don't bow hunt) during the break around thanksgiving, try just going out one morning before daylight and sitting where you would want to be hunting, try to figure out what trails are being used in the a.m. vs. the p.m., scouting would really increase your chance for a successful 'sit and wait' hunt.

But it is one thing to read about hunting, its a whole lot better to have someone to show you in the real world, not all hunting techniques will work for everyone or everywhere. Either way good luck next year
    Last edited by Arch007er; December 12th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

The previous post is good advice! Plus 1 for the well though out and helpful post.

(Lehigh County)

People do not realize how much work goes into the harvesting of deer. Find the thickest part of your property, cut a trail to a tree so you can put a tree stand into it. Cut shooting lanes in the thick stuff also, they will use the new trail as green grass will grow on the trail and they feel safe in the "thick stuff". Get into the stand in the dark, it sucks but it has too be done. Next do not walk to your stand through open fields or food sources in the morning you will push the deer right off the property, if you have to walk out of your way 150 yards just to avoid a food source, do it. The trails made in the off season will make arrival to your stand quieter. Also a stand that produces in october may not be the stand you want to hunt in, in December, deer's pattern's change. You want to hunt from 8-12 in the morning you neighboring hunters must love you guys. Your hunt time should be more like 5:30-6:00 a.m till 12:00.

(Allegheny County)

On prime day's of rifle season (Opening Monday and both Saturdays) I would stick it out in the stand or same location if you can handle the cold without much movement all day especially if you are on public land. It can be painful at times but I've seen many deer when everyone else decides to pack it in for lunch. If I am hunting solo, I let all the other hunters push the deer to me mid day when they move around while I'm eating a sandwich in my climber.

(Philadelphia County)

I am new hunter as well. This is my third season. I am comfortable with long range shooting and I know nothing about deer habits, I can't tell where they are more likely to congregate etc. I couldn't even tell deer track until now. I just sit in a spot at the edge of a filed, which is about 500 yard wide, with pockets of brush. So far I only had luck on opening days. They seem to be completely disoriented by the presence of so many hunters and behave erratically. I don't hide in the thicket, so when they see my orange they freeze for a second even if they were running away, which is enough for me. There are many hotspots and prime spots in that area (that seasoned hunters know). I guess it takes years of experience to tell which spot is better.

(Schuylkill County)

All advice here so far is great. My advice to you is spend as much time in the woods as possible. Learn deer habits,deer signs (tracks,buck rubs,even deer shit) and their habitat. I found hunting deer is a continuous learning process. You should also read as much as you can. There is lots of good info here and in hunting magazines. One other thing to remember its all about enjoying the outdoors. Wish you well, and good luck next year.