Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Springfield Armory GI-45 Champion: Post-Range Thoughts

I fired ammo through it, that in my experience, typically gives me trouble: Remington UMC.

So, it went like this:
    150 rounds of Remington UMC FMJ fired through three different magazines. A Wilson Combat, the stock magazine, and a Chip McCormick.
    There was one failure to feed with the Chip McCormick. Not suprising to me, as I had issues with that magazine in my Kimber. Otherwise, of the 149 other rounds, the gun went bang every time, cycled perfectly, and was a joy to shoot. The sights will take some getting used to, primarily because they're virtually not existent. But, it's typical for me to have to spend some time getting used to a gun, so I'm not worried. I was doing better and better in terms of accuracy as I continued shooting it. I didn't save, or take photos of any of the targets. Quite frankly, I didn't do that well. But again, that will come with shooting it.

I also fired 20 rounds of Glaser Pow'Rball ammo through it. All fired perfectly, and for whatever reason, I seemed to be more accurate with those rounds. My primary reason for doing so was to confirm it would feed them properly, as that's the defensive ammo I'll be carrying.

So, for an out of the box, new 1911, I am thrilled. After my experience with the Kimber (never being able to get more than 100 or so rounds through it without an issue - even after an 800+ round breakin period), I'd never go back. Is the Kimber easier to be accurate with? Yes. Does it look nicer? Yeah, maybe. Would I trust my life with the Kimber? Absolutely not. Another session or two like today, and I think the Springfield will earn a place on my hip. Great gun, and well worth the money.

Edit: I should add that for me, the weight of the gun is perfect. I like a slim, yet fairly heavy pistol, and that's what this is. The trigger isn't as crisp, nor is the travel as short as that of say a Kimber, but it's fine. To me, this gun is designed to do one thing: Shoot reliably. It seems to do that.
    Last edited by marks; December 11th, 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Additions
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Springfield Armory GI-45 Champion: Post-Range Thoughts

I had a Springfield GI I loved it had to sell it to make a payment on my hose and I plan on buying another one and yours looks like the style I will be getting. One my Springfield out of 1000 rounds I had one problem and it was a stove pipe my second shot first clip. Glad to see people are going with what they like not what cost the most like so many people do in other areas of there life.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    The trigger isn't as crisp, nor is the travel as short as that of say a Kimber, but it's fine.
    My favorite quote from someone who shoots a pistol with a crappy feel in the trigger is "it shows commitment".

My favorite 1911, not very different from yours, takes a firm pull but breaks like glass. It does not require a lot of work to make a 1911 trigger crisp.

Enjoy the pistol. My SA 1911 hates the factory mags with hollow points but the Wilson Combat have been flawless for me.

Enjoy the nice looking pistol.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Montgomery County)

Well, the gun is gone. Traded for a Springfield 1911 A-1 Range Officer.

The GI-45 was reliable as hell, but the sights were difficult, and I was consistently getting "bitten" by the thing.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith