Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Cold Weather Shooting....

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    There is a link posted back further in the topic about where to get Weaonshield and I had seen the ammo on cabelas. Here is the link....Federal Auto Match .22

And possibly using a little but heavier bullet out of the .22 might help too. It works the same as with larger cals...Bigger bullet=more recoil unless you use less powder to offset the weight of the bullet.
    Great, thank you. Good advice on the ammo too, wonder if this semi-auto .22's are heavier than the Spitfire's I am using now?
    Last edited by LifeInPa; December 15th, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Great, thank you. Good advice on the ammo too, wonder if this semi-auto .22's are heavier than the Spitfire's I am using now?

I can't access it but go to Federals web site or google the specs of both the kinds of ammo you are using. The information should be had with just a few quick searches. Dumb blocked work interwebs...all tangled and stuff.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lawrence County)

Thanks. Just two questions, where can I purchase "Weapon Shield" and what's the product name of the .22 semi auto ammo made by Federal?

I looked over the bolt and it seems to be smooth but if I were to polish the bolt would I polish the whole bolt or just the edges? I am confused though if this was the issue (Burr's on the bolt) wouldn't I have issues all the time? As for the Weapon Shield I am going to try it once I find it. One last thing the Federal Spitfires I am using now has a higher muzzle velocity than the ammo you recommended.
    Weapon Shield is easy to find.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html

Rocketfoot is also a dealer on this forum.

In terms of polishing you want to mirror smooth anything that is making contact. You DO NOT want to redo edges or remove a lot of metal. It's usually easy to see on the bolt where the wear marks are. Reduce enough friction and you can use standard velocity ammo.

As for "CLP", that's not a name. CLP is Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant. Weapon Shield is also a CLP. What these guys are talking about is "Break Free CLP". In my experience, Weapon Shield outperforms that product.

Lycanbeendownthatroadthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    I can't access it but go to Federals web site or google the specs of both the kinds of ammo you are using. The information should be had with just a few quick searches. Dumb blocked work interwebs...all tangled and stuff.
    That's cool dude I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Weapon Shield is easy to find.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html

Rocketfoot is also a dealer on this forum.

In terms of polishing you want to mirror smooth anything that is making contact. You DO NOT want to redo edges or remove a lot of metal. It's usually easy to see on the bolt where the wear marks are. Reduce enough friction and you can use standard velocity ammo.

As for "CLP", that's not a name. CLP is Cleaner, Lubricant and Protectant. Weapon Shield is also a CLP. What these guys are talking about is "Break Free CLP". In my experience, Weapon Shield outperforms that product.

Lycanbeendownthatroadthrope
    Thanks for explaining Lycan. The Weapon Shield is a bit pricey but I am going to give it a try since I would like my rifle to be operateable in all conditions.

(Lawrence County)

That's cool dude I'll look into it.

Thanks for explaining Lycan. The Weapon Shield is a bit pricey but I am going to give it a try since I would like my rifle to be operateable in all conditions.
    Just don't overlube in cold weather. You only want a very thin film.

Lycangoodluckandreportbackthrope

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Just don't overlube in cold weather. You only want a very thin film.

Lycangoodluckandreportbackthrope
    Thanks, I think that might have been part of the issue the first winter I took my rifle out.

(Lycoming County)

ANY THOUGHTS ON USING A DRY LUBE SUCH AS A LIQUID WAX THAT SOLIDIFIES BUT YET STAYS PLIABLE..... THERE IS A COMPANY CALLED WHITE LIGHTNING THAT MAKES LUBE FOR HIGH END BICYCLE CHAINS. I USE IT ON MY $ 3000.00 MOUNTAIN RACE BIKES.........JUST A THOUGHT ....PACO

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PACO View Post
    ANY THOUGHTS ON USING A DRY LUBE SUCH AS A LIQUID WAX THAT SOLIDIFIES BUT YET STAYS PLIABLE..... THERE IS A COMPANY CALLED WHITE LIGHTNING THAT MAKES LUBE FOR HIGH END BICYCLE CHAINS. I USE IT ON MY $ 3000.00 MOUNTAIN RACE BIKES.........JUST A THOUGHT ....PACO
    I use it exclusively on mine as well, but it wont go near a gun. They serve different purposes. The most important traits of a chain seem to be their ability to shed mud and crud, or those are the ones that I have ran into.

I dont have a $3000 bike though, mine was only $2500...
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Lawrence County)

I've ran White Lightning in load tests. It's great to protect from water and it'll stick well (like motorcyle chain wax). It won't do as well under heavy loads, but you may not need that on a bicycle.

The best bicycle lube (by a long margin) that I tested at Interbike in 2005 was a product called Rock-N-Roll. It was a kerosene based lubed that was killer.

Lycanbyalongshotthrope

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345