Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Consequences of theft reporting provision

What would be the consequences of a requirement that we report gun thefts.

1. I don't think much, if any, additional reporting from honest citizens. We already report for a variety of reasons from supporting the police, to protecting ourselves if gun used in a crime to insurance reasons.

2. I don't think any extra reporting from criminals. If a criminal gets his illegal gun stolen along with his illegal drugs I don't think he presently reports the theft, nor would he under the rendell proposal.

3. Honest citizens may get jammed up if late in reporting, did not know of theft, police lost report, etc

4. THE BIG CONSEQUENCE will be fast eddie saying we can not make the theft reporting work until all guns are in the system. We are talking GUN REGISTRATION. This in my opinion is what fast eddie really wants.

5. Later consequence will be a tax to support the system and provide jobs for fast eddies friends.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Consequences of theft reporting provision

Another good question.
    What is the BENEFIT of the legislation?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Another good question.
    What is the BENEFIT of the legislation?
    More jobs in a big government and more paperwork and red tape for honest taxpayers.

Yeah, more jobs can be a good thing.....

(Cambria County)

There is no benefit. Illegal activity surrounding giving, selling or straw purchasing firearms is already covered by current laws.
    Last edited by NineseveN; November 21st, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jack76590 View Post
    What would be the consequences of a requirement that we report gun thefts.

1. I don't think much, if any, additional reporting from honest citizens. We already report for a variety of reasons from supporting the police, to protecting ourselves if gun used in a crime to insurance reasons.

2. I don't think any extra reporting from criminals. If a criminal gets his illegal gun stolen along with his illegal drugs I don't think he presently reports the theft, nor would he under the rendell proposal.

3. Honest citizens may get jammed up if late in reporting, did not know of theft, police lost report, etc

4. THE BIG CONSEQUENCE will be fast eddie saying we can not make the theft reporting work until all guns are in the system. We are talking GUN REGISTRATION. This in my opinion is what fast eddie really wants.

5. Later consequence will be a tax to support the system and provide jobs for fast eddies friends.
    Criminals are exempt from such a law due to the 5th amendment. Only law abiding citizens seem to fall for the " giving up your rights for the betterment of all " scam the government likes to push lately. That would also include the patriot act. Pure bullsh*t.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Allegheny County)

Oh, I was using scarcasm BTW...

(Luzerne County)

The reason behind the push for reporting stolen firearms is to prevent or curtail straw purchasers from buying the guns, selling them illegally........then when they are recovered the original buyer simply says, "oh.....well that gun was stolen last week, last month......last year......and I didn't think it was important to report it".

It has nothing to do with "all guns in the system". The only gun that will be in the system is the one stolen.

Honest people would not be "jammed up" for not knowing when the theft happened. Their only requirement will be to report it when they find the weapon missing, nothing more.

I don't touch or account for every single firearm I own every day. I may not see or touch one of my firearms for months on end. My only duty is to report it when I find one missing.......which, I think is what a person should do anyway. Why in the world would you not report a firearm as being stolen?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The reason behind the push for reporting stolen firearms is to prevent or curtail straw purchasers from buying the guns, selling them illegally........then when they are recovered the original buyer simply says, "oh.....well that gun was stolen last week, last month......last year......and I didn't think it was important to report it".

It has nothing to do with "all guns in the system". The only gun that will be in the system is the one stolen.

Honest people would not be "jammed up" for not knowing when the theft happened. Their only requirement will be to report it when they find the weapon missing, nothing more.

I don't touch or account for every single firearm I own every day. I may not see or touch one of my firearms for months on end. My only duty is to report it when I find one missing.......which, I think is what a person should do anyway. Why in the world would you not report a firearm as being stolen?
    If that's the case (meaning that the law won't be abused as HB29 does not explicitly state that), then what's to stop the original buyer (criminal) from saying "I didn't even realize that was missing, it was supposed to be in a box in the attic."?

The answer is....nothing. The law does nothing. And if we really think it won't be abused, then we haven't been paying attention around here as of late with all the problems that our members have been having engaging in 100% completely legal activity and then losing their property and/or their rights. Even if only temporary, the money for lawyer fees and the stress put on such people is unacceptable, yet it happens despite what the laws actually say.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post

Sorry, Steve, I baited you

So the purpose is to help enforce another law, namely straw purchasing. First sign that a law is a bad one? If it's purpose is to enforce another law... but besides that.....

When a straw purchaser buys a gun, which is then given to the trafficker, and then sold on the street (IOW to an ineligible person) When the gun comes up in a crime and the police trace the gun back to the straw purchaser, they (straw man) can no longer say... "Oh, that was stolen a month ago!".
    SO?
    Now they just say "that gun is in my car/nightstand/_____... Oh, shoot! I didn't even know it was missing!. Must have been stolen!"

Correct answer:
    There is no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Sorry, Steve, I baited you

So the purpose is to help enforce another law, namely straw purchasing. First sign that a law is a bad one? If it's purpose is to enforce another law... but besides that.....

When a straw purchaser buys a gun, which is then given to the trafficker, and then sold on the street (IOW to an ineligible person) When the gun comes up in a crime and the police trace the gun back to the straw purchaser, they (straw man) can no longer say... "Oh, that was stolen a month ago!".
    SO?
    Now they just say "that gun is in my car/nightstand/_____... Oh, shoot! I didn't even know it was missing!. Must have been stolen!"

Correct answer:
    There is no benefit.
    im sure theres going to be a law for that too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast