Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Shotgun for clay shooting

My friend wants me to shoot clays with him. I never have, but am willing to start. What gauge, barrel length, etc. is best for a beginner?

Default Re: Shotgun for clay shooting

I'd recommend a pump-action 12 gauge for your first shotgun. You can do just about anything with a pump 12 gauge, including breaking clays, bird and deer hunting, and home defense.

I'm partial to Remington 870s, although a Mossberg 500 would be fine as well. If you're a lefty, the Mossberg might suit you better due to the location of the safety. If you look around, you should be able to find a used 870 or 500 in great shape for around $200 or so. The base models start at around $300 new.

As far as barrel length, it doesn't really matter for your purposes. You can always get a different barrel later, and they are easy to swap with no gunsmithing experience or tools. For breaking clays with buddies, I'd look for one with a 26" or 28" barrel.

^^ what he said ^^

I started with a Mossberg 500, and have since upgraded to a Beretta 391. The Mossberg still gets all the calls for hunting. Got a mallard with it earlier today. You really can't go wrong with the 500 or 870 for a starting shotgun.

Also, go 12GA. It is the cheapest, most widely available, and can be found in any flavor you want.

The first few times you go, just see if you can borrow some guns, at least an o/u and a semi. Some clubs rent them or have loaners

Nothing wrong with a pump, it is often your cheaper options, but it will make doubles or triples in sporting clays and doubles in skeet more difficult and possibly less enjoyable.

A used semi such as a Remington 1100 are plentiful and less than $500. But there are many other options.

For a beginner gun consider not overanalyzing your choice.

semi is arguably the most versatile

12 or 20 gauge are both fine

barrel 26 to 30 are all ok

interchangeable chokes are preferable rather than a fixed barrel. Skeet is "easier" with open chokes because it's all less than 25yds, sporting clays shots will vary in range, so for example if you use a skeet choke for longer shots, you may just miss a few these from holes in your pattern, but you'll still have fun..

I could go on for pages and pages... maybe others will in more posts.
    Last edited by john doe; December 12th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

IMAO the best starter is a pump in 12 or 20ga. 870, 500 or a Browning BPS. They are great to learn with and you can use them for everything. Are they the best for everything, NO. But you can do everything from hunting to clays to HD. Because they are common, you can get a used one and get "things" for them, new stocks, barrels and other add on's. O/U's are best for Clays but a pump will teach you a lot.

(Venango County)

I'd say that it depends on what you want to accomplish. Is this just some buds getting together for some backyard clay throwing, or are we talking about possibly getting serious about the clay sports? If it is just for some occasional fun, then a pump will be fine. But if you possibly want to become serious about skeet or other clay sports, you will want a bulletproof semi or over under. For the least expensive options look at used Rem. 1100's and Browning Citori's. Sure there are cheaper semis and O/Us that will last a lifetime of hunting, but they simply will not hold up to the thousands of rounds a serious clay shooter goes through. As an example, my cousin has gone through 3 firing pins in his Savage 20ga that is less than a year old.

Either 12 or 20ga is fine, and I echo the comments about preferring screw in chokes.

(Bucks County)

I agree with what has been said. I started with a Rem 870 and after a while went to a Beretta 391. But I still shoot with guys who do better than me with pumps.

Sorry boys, a pump is not a good gun for sporting clays. Ever shoot sporting clays with a pump? Pretty difficult with fast simo crossers or any type of quick double targets.

Go for a nice used Browning or Beretta O/U with at least 28" barrels. Read up on the sport and just start shooting. I've been shooting sporting clays for over 25 years and have enjoyed it immensely. Just stay away from a pump, any good shooter will tell you that...

I always used my 12ga 870 Wing Master. Im not into competition or anything though, just every now and then for fun.
    [SIGPIC]

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Unc' View Post
    Sorry boys, a pump is not a good gun for sporting clays. Ever shoot sporting clays with a pump? Pretty difficult with fast simo crossers or any type of quick double targets.

Go for a nice used Browning or Beretta O/U with at least 28" barrels. Read up on the sport and just start shooting. I've been shooting sporting clays for over 25 years and have enjoyed it immensely. Just stay away from a pump, any good shooter will tell you that...
    What he said!!
    Unless this is strictly occasional fun shooting table trap or barn yard hand trap, get a good semi or O\U.
    I shot a pump for years hunting pheasants. Clay shooting is altogether different.
    12 or 20ga. will do the job.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast