Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Exclamation Bushnell Elite Scopes DISCONTINUED!!!

I just wanted to give you guys a heads up on some news I heard. Scott from Liberty Optics who is a Bushnell dealer has mentioned on good info that Bushnell will be discontinuing their 3200 and 4200 line of scopes as of 2011. This includes their newly released FFP mil/mil scopes that haven't been out even a year. For anybody that's actually looked through or used Bushnell Elite 3200 & 4200 scopes, they know how good of a scope they are for the money. They have GREAT clarity and brightness. If you've been waiting to pull the trigger on one of these for a hunting rifle, or one of their FFP mil/mil scopes for a tactical rifle, NOW is the time to do it. The availability of all of these scopes is soon to diminish, and there won't be anymore made. The word is that this should NOT void any of the scopes lifetime warranties, and they WILL be servicing or replacing old Bushnell Elite scopes that have problems.

As of now, no one is sure what they are going to be replaced with, and it's anyone's guess. Some people say that they will repackage some of their current scopes, or change a bit of the looks. Others are wondering if they'll have a completely new line, and change up the turrets (to be smaller and have more travel), and be a bit shorter. Most people hope that they release some other reticle options, particularly on their tactical scopes. Nobody knows what will happen with the scopes, prices, etc. I personally am worried about the glass quality suffering, because currently they have great glass for the price. Hopefully this won't be a bad thing, and just some updates, but no one knows. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, in case some people were interested in getting a Bushnell Elite scope.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes DISCONTINUED!!!

Thanks unlike some ive always had GREAT LUCK with rather inexpensive scoped those being one of the ones I like. Simmons,Bushnell Elite,Intensity optics,Swift..had GREAT luck and LONG(some over 30 years and still ticking on a slug hunting shotgun ) life..Ive never bought a scope costing over $150 and always had great luck hunting with them..never had one fail....well unless it was junk out of the box which happened 2 X in 30+ years.

(Lehigh County)

You might want to ask Scott a few more questions. I know he's a very knowledgeable guy, so he definitely has good insight (and is generally a great guy to do buisness with). From what I heard (a few weeks ago if not more), bushnell was going to discontinue the 3200 and 4200 series by name alone and merge them into a new line of "elite" scopes (with the series number dropped).

Fake edit: Found my original source (mele from sniper central): http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...ic.php?t=35523 (read down the first page for more info).

Note: still a great scope and if you have the money and need one... a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    You might want to ask Scott a few more questions. I know he's a very knowledgeable guy, so he definitely has good insight (and is generally a great guy to do buisness with). From what I heard (a few weeks ago if not more), bushnell was going to discontinue the 3200 and 4200 series by name alone and merge them into a new line of "elite" scopes (with the series number dropped).

Fake edit: Found my original source (mele from sniper central): http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...ic.php?t=35523 (read down the first page for more info).

Note: still a great scope and if you have the money and need one... a great buy.
    Scott is a very good guy to deal with, and there were quite a few questions asked of him in the thread I heard the info from. Scott is known for being no BS, and pretty much passing on only confirmed info. I trust what he says MUCH more than I do a contact at midway. The contact at midway wouldn't necessarily be in a position to know more than Scott because they're also just a scope dealer.

From what Mel said, I don't see ANYTHING about "merging" any scopes from the previous line. He didn't say anything about discontinuing the line by name alone either. I got the EXACT OPPOSITE from what he posted. He said, "Bushnell is discontinuing the entire 3200 and 4200 line of scopes and are replacing them with a new "Elite" lineup. There will be a 10x40mm replacement scope included in that lineup." (Mel) It sounds to me like they're keeping the name, and replacing all the scopes with something else. It sounds like they're coming out with a fixed 10x scope with a 40mm objective to replace the one in the lineup they're getting rid of. Still, nothing out of this looks to me like they're getting rid of it by "name alone". Looks like they're getting rid of the old scopes, and replacing them with some scopes that may have a different look, quality, features, etc. Hopefully this will be a good thing, but you never know. I think it's a good sign that lately Bushnell seems to have been trying to listen to the market, and their Elite series has always been dependable. Hopefully they'll update the reticles, and throw in some good side focus models, and leave the glass the same. It would be a real bonus if their turrets still dialed reliably, but had a bit more travel.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Scott is a very good guy to deal with, and there were quite a few questions asked of him in the thread I heard the info from. Scott is known for being no BS, and pretty much passing on only confirmed info. I trust what he says MUCH more than I do a contact at midway. The contact at midway wouldn't necessarily be in a position to know more than Scott because they're also just a scope dealer.

From what Mel said, I don't see ANYTHING about "merging" any scopes from the previous line. He didn't say anything about discontinuing the line by name alone either. I got the EXACT OPPOSITE from what he posted. He said, "Bushnell is discontinuing the entire 3200 and 4200 line of scopes and are replacing them with a new "Elite" lineup. There will be a 10x40mm replacement scope included in that lineup." (Mel) It sounds to me like they're keeping the name, and replacing all the scopes with something else. It sounds like they're coming out with a fixed 10x scope with a 40mm objective to replace the one in the lineup they're getting rid of. Still, nothing out of this looks to me like they're getting rid of it by "name alone". Looks like they're getting rid of the old scopes, and replacing them with some scopes that may have a different look, quality, features, etc. Hopefully this will be a good thing, but you never know. I think it's a good sign that lately Bushnell seems to have been trying to listen to the market, and their Elite series has always been dependable. Hopefully they'll update the reticles, and throw in some good side focus models, and leave the glass the same. It would be a real bonus if their turrets still dialed reliably, but had a bit more travel.
    Lol... actually after re-reading it again I do see where you are comming from (possibly I need to drink more coffee and read slower). Furthermore, I did find a post from Scott on SH and he is definitely saying exactly as you had said (that they will be replaced by a new line and that we don't know anything about the new line as of yet). So hopefully we do get the same glass / fit and finish with a better reticle and more travel... but now would be a great time to pick up an existing elite (they have always been great scopes)!

Sorry for creating any confusion!

(Centre County)

Flash: Just received an email from MidwayUSA.com.

Midway USA has their Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes on sale until the 16th of January. It is a closeout sale. While supplies last.

Here is the link.

Looks like some good prices.

I am thinking of the 10 x 40 fixed mildot for 153.99. Anybody have that and have constructive (positive or negative) things to say about that scope?
    Thanks.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the heads-up! I just purchased the elite 4200 4-16x40 with sidefocus for $358 shipped. A comp in a leupold or other manufacture would be atleast 650 and up.
    Last edited by lofter; January 24th, 2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: info error

(Lebanon County)

Great info Tomcat and thanks for sharing. This thread encouraged me to share the info about Vortex's viper line as well.

+1 rep inbound (Never mind, I still can't rep you again from like 6months ago)

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Flash: Just received an email from MidwayUSA.com.

Midway USA has their Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes on sale until the 16th of January. It is a closeout sale. While supplies last.

Here is the link.

Looks like some good prices.

I am thinking of the 10 x 40 fixed mildot for 153.99. Anybody have that and have constructive (positive or negative) things to say about that scope?
    Thanks.

Update: Midwayusa.com Sale has been extended through 25 January

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Update: Midwayusa.com Sale has been extended through 25 January
    Now the sale has been extended through 28 Feb.

@Tomcat088 (or anyone who can give me some honest opinions based on real experience and reason): I am reasonably familiar with Mil-Dot scopes and have read your postings. Thank you and the other posters for the educational effort you put forth.

I am seriously thinking of the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 fixed power mil-dot scope. Midway has it on sale with 1/4 MOA turrets and (for about $25.00 more, of course) with 1/10 mil turrets.

My honest introspection. I am not a daily long distance shooter. I would use this for a rifle I am planning to build, (Probably a Savage .308, but not sure yet) I am honest enough to admit that, while it would be fun to consider myself a 1000 yard master shooter, I am not. Since the longest range within convenient distance is only 200 yards, the likelihood of really long shots would be low. I could see the occasional 500-600 yard competition, and possibly some relatively long shots on deer if I go out west or south to hunt, but I don't honestly see myself as the selfmade sniper knocking off tin cans (or zombies) at ranges measured in miles.

Assumptions (submitted for "reasonable man" consideration) follow.

Assumption 1: Since I am talking about the same scope, but with different "click increments" the accuracy and precision (of the scope) should be identical (in a perfect world).

However, 1/4 MOA is a smaller angular unit of measurement than 1/10 mil. Some would see this as an advantage

Assumption 2: Using rough approximations (likely more than good enough for my personal accuracy with a rifle) given 1 click = 1/4 MOA, than there are about 14 clicks in 1 mil (actually closer to 14.4 clicks, but in ignoring the .4 clicks, I can confidently say that the resulting error of 1 tenth of one minute of angle is much smaller than any personal error that I induce simply by being behind the rifle. - so I will ignore that particular fractional amount)

Assumption 3: Based on assumption 2, the math is not so difficult with 1/4 MOA turrets. 1.5 mils off = 21 clicks, etc...

So...if you have the time and inclination to respond, I would be interested in your thoughts on my assumptions and these particular scopes?

Thank you and the other readers and responders (I am presumptuous in thinking that someone will respond. ) in advance for taking the time to read and share your thoughts.