Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default SIG Sauer Mosquito update

Well, it has been 1000 rounds, and I am pleased with my little .22. I have fired mostly CCI high velocity rounds through the SIG, and 200 rounds of Federal junk. Let me just say, NEVER use Federal with the Mosquito. I had FTF, FTE, FTEVERYTHING through the whole 200 rounds. With the CCI's, 800 of them mind you, I had a whoping 2 FTFs. Granted with the Federal ammo I was not using the proper spring (forgot it at home) and I will accept that the Mosquito may have functioned better with it.

I know guys think the Mosquito sucks because it is so picky with ammo and they don't want to pay the extra money for the CCI. But let us be perfectly honest with ourselves. CCI is still cheap. Maybe not Federal cheap, but $8 for 100 rounds is cheap enough, really it is.

As far as accuracy goes, the sights could be tighter, but if you take your time and focus, you can get decent groups.

The trigger on the Mosquito itself is nice and wide, but start pulling on it and it basically sucks. DA and SA are too heavy, and a trigger job would be nice.

Ergonomically, it is one of the best fitting guns I own, and being in SIG design, it is just gorgeous to gaze at, especially in those nice two tones SIG offers.

So after 1,000 rounds, I have decided that with the proper ammo this gun is a pleasure for the use it was designed for. It is a plinker, nothing more. It doesn't have the accuracy of the Smiths and Berettas, it doesn't have the reliability of the Rugers, but it does have ergonomics, looks, and fun on it's side, and in my humble opinion, is a fantastic option for the price range. Feed it right, buy at least 2-10 spare magazines and have some fun!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SIG Sauer Mosquito update

I like mine, for something that I originally wanted to have a "service pistol" trigger, it works fine. I just made a holster for it tonight actually so I can do even more with it.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Delaware County)

Weirdly enough, my mosquito preferentially chows down on CCI standard velocity - FTFs and FTEs galore with the high velocity. I almost never have a problem with standard - probably the spring that's in it.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Philadelphia County)

I could carry the Mosquito conncealed if I had the most powerful .22 ammo available and maybe 3 backup mags and feel comfortable, but why bother when I could just use other ammo that is so much more powerful?

I would imagine it is the spring as well.

(Carbon County)

Here is my Mosquito thread.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/742...-mosquito.html

I have had the same results as the OP with Federal, and American Eagle by Federal. With the spring that came installed from the factory, it does not cycle this stuff well.

It also does not like the lower velocity Remington, such as the Thunderbolt, or Cyclone.

The Remington Viper and Yellow Jackets cycle fine. A FEW Fail to Feed here and there, and I just have to finish closing the action with a little bump on the slide.

Same with the Winchester Super X 37gr, X22LHR.

With the CCI Mini-mag's I can fire off several hundred rounds without cleaning or oiling, with no problems.

Also, before I bought this, a friend an I had split 10,000 Centurion AC22SP. We got a good price, and I had planned using them in something else. But, luckily, these cycle as well as the CCI's in my Mosquito.

I have even used the Mosquito to make some clean headshot kills on small, close, groundhogs around my cabin.

So, yes, I did get extra mags, and have been very happy with my Mosquito. Once you figure out what ammo it likes, it's just a fun gun to shoot.

(Indiana County)

I purchased a Mosquito for my wife several months ago. Before she ever shot it, I lightly polished the feed ramp with rouge and a Dremel tool felt wheel, cleaned the entire pistol, then lubed it with synthetic gun oil and light lithium grease. Function was nearly perfect with CCI Mini-mags on the first trip to the range and perfect on the second. We then tried Federal and Remington ammo with horrendous results. The Mosquito digested Winchester Super-X just fine. Of course, Super-X costs as much as the CCI stuff.

Not complaining though, I purchased the Sig as a firearms training pistol and it is unmatched by any other .22 in that aspect. DA/SA trigger, de-cocker, three dot combat sights, classic magazine release position, all help a novice learn the modern auto-pistol using inexpensive (even $8 per hundred is cheaper than any reloaded center fire ammo these days) ammo. My wife prefers the Mosquito to any of her other pistols and shoots it very well to boot.

On the other hand, I do have a new .22 pistol that will happily digest any high velocity LR ammo with aplomb; the GSG 1911 .22LR . Full size 1911 copy with a nice , crisp trigger, good sights and very well made magazines. It (of course) was very accurate with CCI Mini Mags, but also shot cheap Federal, old Aguilla, and ancient slightly corroded bulk Remington too.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

(Cumberland County)

Remmington golden bullets worked o.k. in mine. I had 2 failures in 200 rounds, but that was due to the ammo. CCI's were flawless. If the firing pin hits, it should fire.
    "You're f**king up my chi."

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevjminn View Post
    Remmington golden bullets worked o.k. in mine. I had 2 failures in 200 rounds, but that was due to the ammo. CCI's were flawless. If the firing pin hits, it should fire.
    Ran out of remingtons, so wife and I bought the winchesters. we shot a whole hell of a lot better (accuracy). a few jams, misfires and ftes. but more accurate and no worse reliability than the remingtons.

What are the two springs for? we just used the one in the gun, but cant tell you which of the two are in there.
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

(Philadelphia County)

The one in the gun is for cci the one in the bag is for everything else.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    The one in the gun is for cci the one in the bag is for everything else.
    Oh so we have had the wrong spring in the gun the whole time? oops.
    Wait...
    ...we provide two slide springs
    for every pistol. The bigger bored version is
    designed for high-speed loads and is fitted in the
    pistol with delivery. The simple coiled smaller
    spring (marked white) is for standard loads and is
    supplied with the pistol.
    Last edited by TailDragger; December 14th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
    1988 Sig P226, 1988 Porsche 911, Coincidence?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast