Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 38 super to 9mm?

Hey all,

As you probably figure out, I'm picking up 2 1911 lowers to do some building. One is already in 38 super and I am wondering how to work the upper to make it in 9mm. Can I just replace the barrel and extractor and be gtg? Tried a search, but can't find great info I trust.

Thanks,
    Steve

(Venango County)

Default Re: 38 super to 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Hey all,

As you probably figure out, I'm picking up 2 1911 lowers to do some building. One is already in 38 super and I am wondering how to work the upper to make it in 9mm. Can I just replace the barrel and extractor and be gtg? Tried a search, but can't find great info I trust.

Thanks,
    Steve
    As far as the frame goes, eveything 38 Super, should be good for 9mm. The ejector should be OK. The slide you use will need to be made for 9mm-38 Super. The Breechface will be correct, but you will need a 9mm specific Extractor. The firing pin should be correct. New barrel, new slide stop, guide rod, spring, spring plug, bushing.

Midway, Brownells, Shooters Connection, will all have good prices on quality parts.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks,
    Steve
    As far as the frame goes, yes. You will need a new slide stop. I would probably change the ejector as well, they are cheap and can be a problem on 9mm's. This frame sounds like it has been sitting around for a while and may have a stock or old ejector on it. Since it is frame only, you can start at scratch on the upper, which is good. You can build it the way you want vs. the way someone else wanted.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Westmoreland County)

Another thing to look at when building your part list. If you reload and can load the 9mm a little longer that spec, I would use 38 super mags. Longer rounds feed more reliable and 38 super usually have a 10 round capacity vs. 9 in most 9mm mags.

I have a very good smith that does excellent/competition proven work fast and at a very reasonable rate. PM me if you want his contact info.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Berks County)

Do you know how to fit a barrel, how to fit a slide to a frame, etc? If not, buy the parts and send them to a smith for assembly. Gary Natale at Gans Guns does fantastic work for reasonable prices and quicker than most others as well.