Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 and Starter Pistol Opinions

Hey yall, today I just wanted to get some of your opinions on 1911's and starter pistols. I've only fired a hand gun once before in my life, and that was a crappy 2 inch barreled .22lr. I want to get my own hand gun here probably sometime next year and just wanted what you guys would think would be a good semi automatic starter pistol.

Now, I bring up 1911's because I've gone to several shops and held a few guns, and so far..I really like them. I've held several glocks and other similar composite stock pistols, and knowing that it's personal preference..they felt more like plastic toys than guns to me. While the 1911 was much heavier, it felt right at home in my hands with a very solid and smooth feeling.

Obviously..most 1911's you get are going to be .45ACP. Is this round okay to start out with, or would it be better to go 9mm? I'm not a small guy, so I can take a little recoil..as long as it's not some humungous magnum round. I'll have a reloading set up by next year and I can even make my own rounds if necessary to cut costs.

I really like the Kimber offerings the best so far, but that only goes for looks and feels..I haven't fired any 1911's...yet.

thanks yall

alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: 1911 and Starter Pistol Opinions

Glocks are a great pistol, I have been shooting a majority of my life and the first real pistol I shot was a 1911 in .45 and I considerd it an easily shootable firearm. I own currently a G19, Glocks because of their light weight tend to be slightly easier to not hold on to properly and limpwrist IMO. The heavier 1911 offers again IMO a little more accuracy for the beginning shooter and less recoil again because of the weight. I know I am going to catch hell from all different angles for this one but that is just MY OPINION.

A side note, the glock only has one safety where as the 1911 has two. And you should always practice proper shooting form with any firearm not just your pistol and learning a proper hand grip and stance will help you immensely over the choice of which gun you buy.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Just my 2cents but I would start off with a 9mm pistol not a 1911. For the reason you stated above. If your just learning to shoot one of two things will happen. The recoil will be to much and give you a lot of bad habits in recoil management. Or you will eat it up and want be able to afford to feed it.

you can shoot 150 of 9mm for the cost of 100 45acp.

that being said, I have 3 1911's
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Erie County)

Alex, Find a range where you can rent a 1911 to try out.

I shot the plastics for some years, mainly Sig in 9mm and 380Auto before buying a 1911 last month. I already have over 1000 rds down the pipe, and the 45ACP is easy to shoot and very accurate, though temperamental until broken in.

Check out this forum. http://forums.1911forum.com/

-Rick

(Montgomery County)

I've had 3 handguns up until this point, a Springfield XD 45acp, Glock 26 9mm, and recently a S&W M&P 40c. I love the way these guns feel in my hands and perform. With that said, it is personal preference. You're doing the right thing by going and picking up different guns. I guess you really got to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the gun. If you plan on conceal carrying, a 1911 may be too big to hide. Although some people would disagree on that. Therefore, a sub compact or compact would be your best bet. If it's an open carry or nightstand gun, then a larger gun would suffice.

With regards to caliber, that's also personal preference. I personally like 9mm and 40 S&W. My 45acp just seemed overkill. I also look at cost. Ammo is expensive. Here's a link to show you common rounds people use. At the end of the day, pick a gun that you will use, not just one that looks cool.

http://www.officer.com/interactive/2...liber-comfort/

(Venango County)

Here is my .02 for you.

1911, great platform. Many benefits. Availability of parts, and knowledge. Ability to get conversions for .22lr, and the like.

Don't worry about .45 recoil. Honestly, the .45 is a lower velocity round, less recoil than you expect. The .45 has maybe another 2lb in recoil energy more than your standard 9mm. Factor in pistol weight, etc, and so forth. It really isn't bad at all. Less than the .40S&W.

For that matter, you can get a 1911, in 9mm. Or, if you are so inclined, .22lr.

If the 1911 feels right in your hand, and you don't have a chance to shoot one, you won't be upset with it.

My only concern with my 1911, is the price of ammo. And shortly, I will be reloading, and hopefully casting my own bullets as well.

If you aren't busy, go to the group shoot in monroeville this weekend. I won't be able to make it. But, I am sure there will be a 1911 or three there. Bring a few rounds down, and I'm sure someone will let you give it a try.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Delaware County)

If this is going to be a range gun, buy something in a full size pistol. If your planning on reloading, the 45 won't be too expensive to shoot. If you really want to lower your shooting cost get a 9mm and reload for that. Nice thing about 9mm is you can always find brass at the range\gun clubs to reload.

I just started shooting handguns 3yrs. ago. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have 3 or 4 1911s in 9mm and .45. I like steel guns!

I say, if you like 1911s, get one!
    You can always buy a smaller plastic carry gun later if you want.

Maybe one of these nice gentleman in your area will offer to let you try some of their stuff, Hmmm?
    Last edited by SauerGrapes; December 9th, 2010 at 11:00 PM.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

hey man,

here's a random suggestion... why don't you pick up a 1911 in 22lr? much like a full size counter part, but you will pay it off in ammo savings probably within the first month. You can shoot 100 rounds of 45 or about 1,000 rounds of 22 for the same price. plus the grip, trigger, feel, and practice all transfer to the bigger stuff.

I have a 22 1911 and It's one of my favorite to shoot. I always hand it to new shooters (after safety instructions of course) and they seem to love it, too. I actually compete with it in steel shoots, too!

This from a guy with 5 1911s!

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: 1911 and Starter Pistol Opinions

Some here may disagree but this is one damn nice 1911 45 and it holds 14 + 1 rounds of ammo ! If you want a Hi-Capacity 45 ACP but don't want the typical polymer frame design that seems to be the only option check this out,,,
    http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_...arge.php?id=11

I couldn't post the picture but there's the link. That is one sweet 1911 !
    It's good looking, all stainless, match grade barrel, hi-Capacity, and has all the custom features most 1911 folks like . Look at the luxurious beaver tail and ambidexterous safety levers on it, the design, trigger, and the beautiful sights on that baby ? That is a nice gun, period ! I want one of them !!
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Perry County)

Your choice of a 1911 is a good start, either in 9mm or .45ACP.

However, let me suggest a CZ 75b. Many find the grip shape and angle very shoot-able. Also, there is a .22 conversion upper available. The gun is reasonably heavy (steal frame), but somewhat more compact than a full size 1911, so it has heft to make a 9mm easy and accurate to shoot. It being somewhat smaller than a 1911 is also easier to carry concealed (at least in cool weather, both are a bear to conceal when it is 90 out).

There are so many options available don't sweat the selection, you will eventually end up with a large number of handguns so gust jump in and start the fun.

As to "starter pistols" I'd suggest you get one in .32 as the .22s often don't put out enough noise and smoke to start the FAT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast