Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M1A or AR10?

(Allegheny County)

Default M1A or AR10?

I'm on the fence here, I have the M1A now but the AR10 platform conforms to my other firearms in (223). Please no flames, just constructive opinions.

Thanks

Default Re: M1A or AR10?

Well, since you already have an M1A, an AR10 would be my pick. What caliber?

(Centre County)

Both are 308 Win. / 7.62x51mm (lets not get into the differences between the two here).

You can probably get better accuracy in the long run with the AR-10 due to the floated barrel setup. It will require putting more money into the M1A to get it as accurate.

The AR-10 uses a direct impingement gas system so it gets dirty back in the action, whereas the M1A/M14 uses a piston based system where the gas stays up front in the gas cylinder/piston area and vents out below. You can probably run a M1A much longer without cleaning than a AR-10.

The M1A/M14 also has what many consider the best factory iron sights ever made. There are competitions where people shoot out to 600 yards with the irons. Adding a scope requires a mount which typically costs $150-300 for a decent, sturdy one. Alternatively, you can get an M25 receiver which has an integrated mount (but cost a bit more than a M1A/M14 receiver).

The M1A/M14 has a lot of history now, but who knows, the AR-10 (XM-110) may as well in many years.

I'd say try and find one you can shoot, then make the decision if you want the AR-10.

Judging by your question, I'd say you are new to forums and I see that you are new to this one...that is quite alright, welcome. You can search here as well, this topic gets brought up quite a bit. I'd start there, see what you can find, refine your questions a bit for what you cannot find an answer to, then ask what isn't posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lancaster County)

If you're familiar with the AR platform, I'd go with the AR10.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

Kinda like you I was in the same boat. Have M1-A's and wanted something more/diffrent. Got a Armalite AR10-A4 as I wanted the full size type and It was the only type in stock a the gun shop. Both the Springfield M1A and the Armalite AR10 are verry good firearms, both with quality parts. The M1A is hard to fit a scope and it must be removed for cleaning. The AR10 will easly fit a scope on it's top rail and it can stay put during cleaning. The M1A feels and fits like a "real rifle" and the AR10 is "diffrent". Both shoot verry good with quality ammo, 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards are not uncommon. The only bad thing I can say is that the AR10 is heavy,but heavy makes it set good on sand bags and it will "put them in there" all day long. Magazines for the AR10 are a little hard/expensive to get, so I'd say get enough of them at the start. In a pinch you can cut a hole in a regular M1A magazine and it will fit the AR10 but the hold open on last shot will not work. Bottom line----get both a M1A and a AR10----It's all about shooting fun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop View Post
    The AR-10 uses a direct impingement gas system so it gets dirty back in the action, whereas the M1A/M14 uses a piston based system where the gas stays up front in the gas cylinder/piston area and vents out below. You can probably run a M1A much longer without cleaning than a AR-10.
    I think you are giving far too much credit to the M1A/M14, AR's can take far more abuse cleaning wise than they are given credit for. I think it is more than fair to say that the gun will run longer dirty than he is willing to. I will go out and get some confirmation on this one.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fullmag View Post
    I'm on the fence here, I have the M1A now but the AR10 platform conforms to my other firearms in (223). Please no flames, just constructive opinions.

Thanks
    If you can state what your looking for a little better, we should be able to provide better answers.

So it sounds like you have M1A and are looking to either:
    1) Sell the M1A and buy an AR10 type rifle
    2) Keep the M1A and add an AR10 type rifle

And your looking for opinions about the pros and cons of each platform. Is that correct?

To really answer those questions, it will really help if you can answer this question first.

1) What are you plans for the rifle? Shooting paper, Competition, Training Classes, Home Defense, Apocalypse, etc

Although, these two rifles can fulfill the same role they do have subtle differences that make one better than another for difference purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    The M1A is hard to fit a scope and it must be removed for cleaning. The AR10 will easly fit a scope on it's top rail and it can stay put during cleaning.
    The M1A/M14 can be cleaned with the scope and mount intact. It should be done upside-down, however, so solvent does not get into the gas system (gas port is on the bottom of the barrel).

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think you are giving far too much credit to the M1A/M14, AR's can take far more abuse cleaning wise than they are given credit for. I think it is more than fair to say that the gun will run longer dirty than he is willing to. I will go out and get some confirmation on this one.
    True, that's why I say probably. I would like to see a trial of 5+ of each gun, shot until they shot no more, and see which type averages the higher number of shots (the std. deviation would also be interesting as well). So, who wants to buy ammo for this?

(Bucks County)

Aren't mag changes a pain in the ass for an M1A? That's the biggest turn off for me. I think the AR platform is a bit more user friendly and modular/adaptable than an M1A. But I don't have any experience with M1A's other than fondling them at gunstores, so what do I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast