Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Should I cut on an Interarms Tantal?

Just so that we're all on the same page, a Tantal is a Polish AK-74 variant.
    http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts2.html

Wikipedia Tantal article

What do you guys think? Should I cut the stock tang to fit an ACE Folding stock, and cut the handguard retainer to put on a Ultimak railed gas tube?

I imagine that it has some collector value, as is, but I'd also like to make it a little more modern and practical, and fun. The problem is that both modifications are pretty easy to do, but would require tools that I don't have to undo. I can get the Tantal handguard retainer and another stock tang, but I don't have a big hydraulic press, or the riveting tools, or an air hammer.

The Interarms Tantals have Polish chrome-lined barrels, not the U.S.-made barrels like the Century Arms rifles. It is a pretty nice looking rifle, for an AK anyway.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Should I cut on an Interarms Tantal?

It's a nice rifle and you shouldn't ruin the value by butchering it. there's plenty of other inexpensive ak 74 alternatives you cold play with and still retain the value of a less common rifle like a tantal with an original barrel.
    Last edited by mpi; December 9th, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    It's a nice rifle and you shouldn't ruin the value by butchering it. there's plenty of other inexpensive ak 74 alternatives you cold play with and still retain the value of a less common rifle like a tantal with an original barrel.
    That was my thought. I wasn't sure if I was kidding myself about it's value though. I see SAR-2s listed for $600, which isn't much less that what I paid for the Tantal after the '08 election when AK prices went sky-high.

(Allegheny County)

while it's not an ultra rarity, it's uncommon being of the ones not gunmonkey'd up by century. the tantal was a well thought of rifle before the century fiasco. I would hate to see one of those nice rifles ruined. i wish i had the cash to make an offer. if you would like to trade if for something.....
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

Personally I would not. However, if your not planning on selling it or "collecting" it; I saw go for it.

There are a lot of Tantals out there, it's not like it's a rare variant. Yes, there are less Interarms than say the century stuff and they are better, but why did you buy the gun? Did you buy it to shoot and have fun with or more as a collectors piece? If it's the former, then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Personally I would not. However, if your not planning on selling it or "collecting" it; I saw go for it.

There are a lot of Tantals out there, it's not like it's a rare variant. Yes, there are less Interarms than say the century stuff and they are better, but why did you buy the gun? Did you buy it to shoot and have fun with or more as a collectors piece? If it's the former, then go for it.
    I bought it from RGuns, who had it listed simply as "Interarms AK74", or something like that. Didn't really know what I had bought until I got it home and did a little research. It was the best deal on a '74 that I could find at the time. All things considered, it was a pretty good buy, even just for a shooter.

Without the 3-round burst, it's really not that special. The selector is too stiff for the left side safety lever to be of much use.

I guess I should stop being so sentimental (?), and just cut the damn thing.

Thanks Mojo

(Allegheny County)

would you rather have a different ak 74 variant, something with other options? something that will take an ultimak?
    MORDENTE MEUM