Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Field Work vs. Carry

Ok. Here are some circumstances.

1. The person has a legally owned handgun.

2. The person has a legally valid PA LTCF.

3. The person performs a majority of their work in private homes; less often at private businesses and rarely but sometimes in large urban office buildings or city/state/federal buildings.

4. The person drives a company vehical for this job.

5. The person can leave directly from their home and can return to their home at the end of the day.

What are the carry options both legally and job related?
    Last edited by dragonofpa; November 21st, 2007 at 11:31 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Field Work vs. Carry

The answer to all of your questions are here:

http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm

And of course your Employee Job Manual
    Ruger P345 (45ACP)
    Colt Trooper (.357 Mag)
    CZ 40 P (40S&W)
    CZ 100 (9 MM)
    TZ 75 (9MM)
    Bersa Thunder 380 (.380)
    Ruger Mark II (.22)
    Heritage Arms Rough Rider (.22)
    (2)Phoenix Arms HP22 (.22)

(Allegheny County)

Does your company require you to be armed? If you are carrying for your own defense and not as a job requirement, then I see no issue or did I miss something?

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Does your company require you to be armed? If you are carrying for your own defense and not as a job requirement, then I see no issue or did I miss something?

Hawk,
    The company doesn't require a weapon (they may even prohibit it), but what is considered a place of business when the place of business is a vehical and then various homes, businesses, etc.

The Car/Truck/Van your company provides you is Company Property. If you use your own car, but they pay milage, the time you charge for milage is considered their "time" and can be considered Company time, and property. The only thing in your post that really matters is are you allowed to carry in a company car per company policy.
    If you HAD to have a gun, then you would fall under security work, and the act 235 would fall in, but seeing you are asking this, then it becomes obvious there is no "Shall carry" clause even if what you do might be "security". Perhaps an unarmed security, carryer, or insurane type investigator.

The person performs a majority of their work in private homes; less often at private businesses and rarely but sometimes in large urban office buildings or city/state/federal buildings
    seems to imply it is a sales or customer service/repair type job.
    You might work in a place like I do where there are "unwritten" rules that you need to find out about. Many places have no official "rule" book and the employee is expected to act proper based on what the company's beliefs are. IE: The Geek squad. Every person driving a Geek Squad car, will wear Black pants and a white shirt and tie...
    Leaves very little room for concealing a gun.
    Further more they state the socks and shoes you can wear. meaning, apart from your briefs, they decide what you can wear. they may not say can not wear a gun, but based on the rules and beliefs of the company, they can argue that if they expected you to wear a gun, it would be in the uniform requiremnets.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    The company doesn't require a weapon (they may even prohibit it), but what is considered a place of business when the place of business is a vehical and then various homes, businesses, etc.
    I understand now.
    It's my unprofessional understanding that you are within your rights to carry according to your LTCF. However, in PA your employer can prohibit you (by company policy) from carrying a firearm while working for them regardless of "where" you are working. The most they can do is fire you if you are caught. If you want to carry while working you need to clarify the company policy via HR.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Lackawanna County)

I don't think you cannot carry in all local, state or federal buildings. You may have a problem there!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonofpa View Post
    Ok. Here are some circumstances.

1. The person has a legally owned handgun.

2. The person has a legally valid PA LTCF.

3. The person performs a majority of their work in private homes; less often at private businesses and rarely but sometimes in large urban office buildings or city/state/federal buildings.

4. The person drives a company vehical for this job.

5. The person can leave directly from their home and can return to their home at the end of the day.

What are the carry options both legally and job related?

1. ok cool
    2. ok cool
    3. Private homes/business are legal so long as the resident/tenant are ok with you carrying. Also as long as your boss is ok too. City/township/borough/county buildings are ok, so long as there isn't a court in it, same with state buildings. Some Dept of State buildings are offlimits by regulation. Stay the phuck away from Federal buildings if you can while packing.
    4. ok cool... as long as your boss is ok with it.
    5. ok cool..

If your boss/company doesn't want you carrying and you do carry, get caught - you can be fired. Its a civil matter plain and simple..

If your boss/company doesn't give a rat's ass - congrats.. you just have to abide by Fed/State laws, regulations and private property rights.

If carrying it required to do your job - you need Act 235 Cert.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 21st, 2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo

(Montgomery County)

My take on this is that - for the same reasons your employer can't search your car - they can't search your pockets either.

Their take on it is going to be that "PA is an at-will" state, which means they don't need a reason to fire you.

It sucks, yes, but that's ultimately what it's going to come down to if you run afoul of them.