Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Wink Anyone belong to Mohnton?

Hey guys I'm seriously contemplating joining Mohnton but I don't know any members first hand and I've got a question or two. If anyone is a member and would be willing to talk about the club and possibly sponsor me I would appreciate it.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone belong to Mohnton?

You guys are joking, right? 116 views and no one is even willing to talk about the club? WTF?????? Maybe I DON'T want to join Mohnton after all.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I belong to Mohnton. Have been a member for about a year and I am more than willing to answer your questions. I don't know how many members here are members of Mohnton, as I have looked in the past. Let me know what questions I can help you with.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Berks County)

All I can say is I live 5min from the place. I went up over the summer to join but could not. I went into the bar while people were working and no one could help me with a membership or had info on one.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JMIS View Post
    All I can say is I live 5min from the place. I went up over the summer to join but could not. I went into the bar while people were working and no one could help me with a membership or had info on one.
    JMIS, sorry you had trouble. If you decide that you want to join, give them a call or make sure that it is actually club house hours. Members are allowed to rent the clubhouse/bar area and it may have been that an officer was not at the club when you went. One of the members should have told you that an officer wasn't there and given you the hours. At any rate, when the clubhouse is open according to the hours, an officer (usually the bartender) is always there that can help you get signed up.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Berks County)

I used to be a member there but I let my membership lapse. I didn't really care for how the range is set up. It is only 5 minutes from my house but I choose to go elsewhere to shoot rifle and pistol. I don't like how far you are required to stay from the pistol targets. I don't see myself ever shooting a pistol at 25 yards so I don't do much shooting from that distance. The rifle range has the benches below ground level and an opening in the wall to shoot through. This is so shooting over the backstop would be very difficult. There are homes somewhere behind the backstop. If you're into archery they have a nice setup. I think it is $40 to join and you need to go through an orientation. You need to watch a video and go over the range rules.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sig22940 View Post
    I used to be a member there but I let my membership lapse. I didn't really care for how the range is set up. It is only 5 minutes from my house but I choose to go elsewhere to shoot rifle and pistol. I don't like how far you are required to stay from the pistol targets. I don't see myself ever shooting a pistol at 25 yards so I don't do much shooting from that distance. The rifle range has the benches below ground level and an opening in the wall to shoot through. This is so shooting over the backstop would be very difficult. There are homes somewhere behind the backstop. If you're into archery they have a nice setup. I think it is $40 to join and you need to go through an orientation. You need to watch a video and go over the range rules.
    I agree with you about the pistol range. Enough members voiced a concern about it and they are building a closer pistol range for more practical purposes. I will say that once the closer pistol range is built I will spend much more time there. I am horrible with a pistol at 25 yds, but I am much better at 10 yds. I am not sure how long it has been since you have been a member, but the rifle range benches are not below ground level now, there is a wall with openings and you shoot through the opening; like you said, it had to be designed that way because of the homes around the property. When I joined it was $20 for the membership and $20 fee for paperwork I assume and the annual membership is $20. At anyrate, they are a pretty good group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Hey guys I'm seriously contemplating joining Mohnton but I don't know any members first hand and I've got a question or two. If anyone is a member and would be willing to talk about the club and possibly sponsor me I would appreciate it.
    Do you still need a sponsor?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by acosenza2 View Post
    I agree with you about the pistol range. Enough members voiced a concern about it and they are building a closer pistol range for more practical purposes. I will say that once the closer pistol range is built I will spend much more time there. I am horrible with a pistol at 25 yds, but I am much better at 10 yds. I am not sure how long it has been since you have been a member, but the rifle range benches are not below ground level now, there is a wall with openings and you shoot through the opening; like you said, it had to be designed that way because of the homes around the property. When I joined it was $20 for the membership and $20 fee for paperwork I assume and the annual membership is $20. At anyrate, they are a pretty good group of people.
    I do belong and do most of my shooting elsewhere because mohton is a "fire company" that cares more for socialization then shooting , they put money time and effort into the clubhouse , social activities and just happen to have a a pistol and rifle range on the premises , almost forgot they have a great air rifle range that no one uses. BTW I learned to shoot at that club and it got me into shooting but belonged there for 11 years and saw little to no change except they seem to do even less shooting there then before , do yourself a favor and join a gun range not a "fire company" Oh they have been talking about the short distance range for two years now , moved some dirt but mabye sometime in the five it will be built , Did you go to "gunstock" their outdoor car show and music fest , has nothing to do with shooting but whatever. The do however have an active bulleye team because they won't listen to me about being 50 years behind in the shooting sports. I am a very disgruntled member and if the threw me out for telling the truth I really wouldn't care , because I had to join another range to shoot anything other then a 22lr pistol at. They have no good shoots pistol or otherwise unless you want to travel back in time when NRA bullseye was the bees knees.
    Last edited by Huskyoverlord; September 2nd, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    You guys are joking, right? 116 views and no one is even willing to talk about the club? WTF?????? Maybe I DON'T want to join Mohnton after all.
    You don't unless you like to drink beer and play bingo!!! I've been pissed at that range for awhile and go up to plink with my 22lr pistol but god forbid you bring a "black rifle" on the range you be brated for having an "assault rifle". In short it is the most anti-gun club I have ever been to and probally be hard pressed to find one equally as disturbing , They are a conservation club first and foremost and was told that by the president. The only reason i'm still there is it 10 min from my house and I shoot 22lr at 25 yards with no real problem , but for the many bullseye shooters outthere it's great and that last part was dripping with sarcasim