Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Revolver/ Pistol Permit?

Hello

I live in Spring Township. I'd like a revolver or pistol for home defense. If I always leave the gun indoors do I still need a permit?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Revolver/ Pistol Permit?

you do not need any type of license or permit in Pa to own or purchase a gun. You do need a license to carry however if you plan on leaving your house with it concealed.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikem497 View Post
    Hello

I live in Spring Township. I'd like a revolver or pistol for home defense. If I always leave the gun indoors do I still need a permit?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks
    A license to carry firearms is not needed for ownership. Read the link below for great info on where you can and can't carry in PA. Let us know what handgun you choose, and welcome to the forum.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    you do not need any type of license or permit in Pa to own or purchase a gun. You do need a license to carry however if you plan on leaving your house with it concealed.
    Worded a little bit better, you need a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), or a license/permit recognized by Pennsylvania, to carry, outside of your home or place of business, if concealed, or in a car, or in a declared state of emergency, or in Philadelphia.

You do not need an LTCF to own or purchase a handgun, nor do you need an LTCF to open carry said handgun (unless you're in Philadelphia).

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Worded a little bit better, you need a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), or a license/permit recognized by Pennsylvania, to carry, outside of your home or place of business, if concealed, or in a car, or in a declared state of emergency, or in Philadelphia.

You do not need an LTCF to own or purchase a handgun, nor do you need an LTCF to open carry said handgun (unless you're in Philadelphia).
    ... or in a vehicle (even unloaded and locked in the trunk except under very limited circumstances).

(Berks County)

That being said, there really is no reason not to get a LTCF, even if you never plan on carrying it.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    That being said, there really is no reason not to get a LTCF, even if you never plan on carrying it.
    That's right. The LTCF does a lot more than let you carry your gun outside your home. Most commonly stated one is that it allows you to carry guns in your car outside those few limiting circumstances.

Sorry Chief
    your location says NewYork city. Disregard all of the above if this is really your location, these only apply to Pennsylvania

(Jefferson County)

If you live in "Spring TWP" within New York State, you will need at minimum a NY State home/residence permit to even hold the handgun at the dealer. Anyone wanting to purchase and own a handgun must have a license/permit. And to keep one in one's home a person must have a license/permit.

If you live in "Spring TWP" within New York City, you will need a NY City permit for the same as above.

If you live in a "Spring TWP" within Pennsylvania, absolutely NO permit/license is needed to purchase or own a handgun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the information. I live in Berks County. When I registered on this site I lived in NY.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast