Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Nothing to brag about...

So it seems I have actually started shooting something that can be described as a group.

Tell me what you guys think, as well as tips & tricks on how to get rid of "flyers".

THESE ARE ALL AT 15 FEET (hence the nothing to brag part!)

A - 5 Shots 45ACP
    B - 10 Shots .45ACP (thats a quarter on there for size scale)
    C - 10 Shots .45ACP
    D - 20 Shots .22LR
    E - 10 Shots .45ACP
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Default Re: Nothing to brag about...

Sometimes, we just have bad days at the range. I know my limitations...when I cannot get a good group, I normally stop...get something to eat...and perhaps come back later on. If you continue to shoot poorly...why continue to waste ammo. Just save it for the next time you go out.

I would say work on your breathing and trigger mechanics. Breathing has a lot to do with how you will shoot. More dry fire drills.

(Luzerne County)

I would say listen to Aubie...he's an..... "expert" . Also try double hearing protection (ear plugs and muffs) it helps if flinching is an issue. Practice trigger control.....squeeze the trigger slowly-the round firing should surprise you. Practice dry firing to get it down. Breathing is important, exhale slowly, exhale half and hold...whatever works for you. I'd say nice groups on your show targets Diego. nice shooting on your part.

(Washington County)

I'd be feeling good if my used targets looked like that!

Thumbs up Re: Nothing to brag about...

Aubie and the others got if pretty much right, it's all in the fundamentals, I'd say trigger control and breathing are the top two that people take for granted, and are most likely (IMHO) to cause flyers. The key to match shooting is precision, that is to say to do every thing the same, note your routine on each shot all the way from presantation to followthrough and see if your doing anything different, also take a little breather between targets to relieve eye strain and fatigue.

All for all is was good shooting, we all have flyers, but your groups were impressive, keep up the good shooting.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

Diego punches those holes with a pencil!
    good job dude
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Lebanon County)

Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

I get rid of my flyers with tape and generally tape from the outside and work in.

The more "flyers" I tape, the better I start to feel as the group magically gets smaller.

LD01,

Do you notice if a particular shot is the "flyer" ? first or last? If the flyers are the last few shots, you may be losing the concentration. Try a series of 5 shot groups and see if anything changes.

My advice

Sight alignment focusing on the front sight(you should be able to see the ridges or edges on the front sight).

Trigger control has been mentioned. Perhaps this is a bit more detailed.

Press through the trigger slowly till you get a "surprise break" Acquire another sight picture (follow through).

Keep the trigger pressed to the rear after the shot breaks. Slowly release the trigger till you feel it reset. Don't allow the trigger to travel beyond the reset point.

With your reacquired sight picture and your trigger at the reset point, slowly press the trigger again to get another surprise break with yet another sight picture.

Essentially for each shot you should have two sight pictures, two shots-three sight pictures etc,etc.

You should not be able to see the hit or hole in the target. Focus on the front sight and the same sight picture for each shot of the string. Some people see the hole in the target and shoot at the hole instead of the "sight picture" which is a clearly defined front sight centered and level with the rear sight and centered on the target spot. The rear sight and target should actually be just a bit out of focus.

Have someone who knows what to look for watch you manipulate the pistol. They may notice something that you yourself can't see or feel. Your grip might change slightly or your stance might vary with a # of shots. You may slap the trigger or jerk through the last couple shots.

All that being said, I have flyers too but I know it's something i did and many times,I know if a shot is off the mark.

Tell you what, Buy us a few hundred rounds (.40-180's for me) and we can watch each other shoot and see if we can make a determination on whats going on.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks to everybody for their comments. I have a check list of things to be aware for next time I shoot.

How scientific is the pistol correction graph, Brian?

Ive seen those before, gotta print a bunch of them to shoot at.

I guess I need to think of looking at the sight of the gun more, instead of what Im shooting at. Its weird shooting at that half blue blur 15 feet away, so I catch myself looking at the target a lot more than I should.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lebanon County)

pretty sure it's a well thought out graph.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast