Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Survival subforum

I'll start by acknowledging that this idea has been brought up in the past and has been shot down... However, as the loss of neg rep option and subsequent gain of said option has shown us, forum admin has an open mind and certainly has the ability to change their minds. So please hear me out and don't lock this immediately. I'd really appreciate that.

I've noticed several threads lately with the topic of survival/preparedness cropping up, and they've been pretty popular. A few points in response to the anticipated replies from admin/mods against this idea:

1) I realize this strays from the original intent of PAFOA... However, so does the lounge and the political wasteland subforum, and they are both immensely popular.

If I understand the process correctly, you sell advertising based upon membership. More Google hits equals more potential members. This could be one more feature of the sight that could encourage new members.

2) There are many survivalist/preparedness forums on the internet to find the information that I want. However, I appreciate receiving advice and suggestions from a forum that I am comfortable with and know which posters to take advice from and which ones to dismiss. I also enjoy conversing these types of issues with these posters, rather than strangers on other forums (as I've actually met quite a few users on here in person because most of us live in PA). I don't enjoy joining many forums and being just another mostly unknown name that barely knows anyone else. When reading other forums, it is difficult to determine which posters are fairly trustworthy (and post count ≠ trustworthy).

I know there is much better info to be found on sites dedicated to survival, but I like coming here as a 'one stop shop' so to speak. I know others feel the same way.

3) Inevitably, the subforum would be clogged with silly threads and juvenile topics/discussion on survival... but nearly every subforum here has that problem. I don't think a survival/preparedness subforum would be any worse. In fact, I think it would be much better than the lounge or, especially, the political wasteland subforum.

4) Although no one is stopping us from discussing these types of subjects in the lounge currently, it would be nice to consolidate them. Furthermore, if the topic is discussed already, dedicating a subforum wouldn't drastically alter the content of the forum.

Admin, especially Danp, I know you're not especially keen on this idea, but could you consider it (again)? Even if the subforum wouldn't be in the main forum subsections, it couldn't hurt too much to place it as another subforum in the lounge section, right?

Thanks for hearing me out.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Survival subforum

I second a survival "subforum".

Im a middle of the road survivalist (not exactly bomb bunker material but we can manage a significant event) and id love to connect with others in the tri-state and share ideas etc....

(Allegheny County)

I would also like to see the subforum. I've recently taken an interest in prepping so it would mean I'd spend even MORE time on PAFOA.

(Bucks County)

Tried to rep you for this, but Ima hafta wait a minute.

I agree with this idea totally with one caveat:

There should be a 200 post count minimum mandatory for someone to access the survival board. Too many of the "Survival boards" are full of Kooks and mouthbreathers who will just clutter up the entire forum with foolish gobledgook and talk of space aliens if not kept at bey.

Some of "Them" are freakin weird.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Tried to rep you for this, but Ima hafta wait a minute.

I agree with this idea totally with one caveat:

There should be a 200 post count minimum mandatory for someone to access the survival board. Too many of the "Survival boards" are full of Kooks and mouthbreathers who will just clutter up the entire forum with foolish gobledgook and talk of space aliens if not kept at bey.

Some of "Them" are freakin weird.
    Which is why it should never happen here.
    Jules

Then it would need to be moderated, JUST survivalist topics, no political/conspiracy/religious/alt-science/kooky debates. SurvivalistBoards used to have a lot of good stuff, not so much now. Hey! we could hide it a little to keep the kooks out, put it under Hunting/ outdoors-camping. I would like to just see people in Pennsylvania who are like minded. Just a thought

(Bucks County)

Well, ifin it were just amongst us and there were requirements similar to what I outlined it could be manageable.

(Clarion County)

I agree also on the survivalist sub forum..... With the way things are anymore I could use all of the suggestions I can get on what I might be missing to be prepared..

ARE YOU PREPARED?????

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Which is why it should never happen here.
    Jules
    So are you saying we couldn't keep it civil?

(Delaware County)

nineseven has a pretty good survival forum:
    http://www.neardeathexperiments.com/smf/
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast