Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Why carry a concealed handgun

Every post that I have read indicates that a person who draws his handgun regardless of the situation, faces the possibility of legal recourse even if in your eyes it was a defensive situation. What is the purpose of carrying a concealed if it is only going to get you in trouble no matter what? I understand the protection factor for self and family, but 99.9% of us will never be in that situation. So the question remains, even though we might be acting responsibly defending our loved ones, the jury might put you away for life or the other party might sue your ass off and leave you penniless. I want to get my ccl but am scared to death due to the possible repercussions of having a weapon on me. Someone has to justify to me reasons to have a ccl.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Why carry a concealed handgun

Quote Originally Posted by taurus.38 View Post
    Every post that I have read indicates that a person who draws his handgun regardless of the situation, faces the possibility of legal recourse even if in your eyes it was a defensive situation. What is the purpose of carrying a concealed if it is only going to get you in trouble no matter what? I understand the protection factor for self and family, but 99.9% of us will never be in that situation. So the question remains, even though we might be acting responsibly defending our loved ones, the jury might put you away for life or the other party might sue your ass off and leave you penniless. I want to get my ccl but am scared to death due to the possible repercussions of having a weapon on me. Someone has to justify to me reasons to have a ccl.
    Then you shouldn't get one. Carrying a lethal weapon is an awesome responsibility. If someone needs to justify it to you, then you shouldn't do it.
    Its not a toy. It can kill people or get you killed quite easily.
    Ive read here of occasions where people displayed their pistols in a non hostile manner to diffuse a situation...I guess they dont consider the fact the other guy could be a ccw as well. Seeing your gun is justification to pull out his....at the very least....
    Your gun should never come out if your not about to shoot it. That is just my opinion.

(Blair County)

And 99.9% means only .1% chance that you will have an hostile encounter? I believe the FBI stats state you have about a 1 in 5 chance of being violently assaulted in your lifetime in America, 1 in 3 for women.

(Chester County)

there are very few places in PA you can't legally carry assuming you don't cross state lines and follow fed regulations there isn't a lot to be "scared to death of"

as far as actually using your carry gun. it should be your absolute last resort.

(Delaware County)

A court battle and lawyer fees is better than death?

Is this thread serious?

OP, I don't know where you get the 99.9% chance of being a victim of a violent crime where you could use force to protect yourself, a family member, or a third person but let me assure you, your fanthom stat is was off. Seek out actual numbers from the FBI, Department of Justice, or for more local stats, the Pennsylvania State Police Crime report.

Further, Pennsylvania does not have a CCL, whatever that is. The State of Pennsylvania issues License to Carry Firearms which, under its covenant of law, allows a person to Carry a Firearm Concealed if they so desire, among many other actions allowable under the perview of LTCF.

If you would kindly search the website and the terms/words "Castle Doctrine" you might want to become politically active and write, call, email your elected State Representatives to ensure passage with would foil any criminal or living relative or estate of same from successfully suing you.

The power of research and self education is awesome, get to it!!!

CL

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post

Is this thread serious?
    Not sure, I'm looking under bridges right now, I think there's a critter about.

To the OP: If you don't feel saving your own life or potentially your families life is enough justification, then don't purchase and carry a firearm.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

I agree that if you have that much issue with carrying, you probably shouldn't or you should look really long and hard at your motivations and convictions if you decide to.

You say you're scared to death of what would result in a defensive shooting. I would speculate we all are. We (people who responsibly carry) overcome that fear with training, research, practice, understanding the laws, understanding the responsibilities that we now have, and knowing what it means to carry a firearm.

(Allegheny County)

OP, sounds like you're getting approximately the right message: using lethal force against an attacker is just about the worst thing you can do in the world. The only thing worse than that is dying. So when your choice is between death or lethal force, pick lethal force; when it's between anything else and lethal force, pick anything else. If you ever do resort to lethal force, your life as you know it is probably over. But, on the bright side, you'll be breathing. Breathing is nice.

(Allegheny County)

Adam12 - This post is not referencing yours.

Self-defense is not quite as black and white as others have insinuated in this thread. It's not a matter of either deploy a firearm or die. There are way too many possible SD scenario's and outcomes and deploying a firearm is not the only solution to them all. Matter of fact I wouldn't be a bit surprised that in the world of civilians the actual need to deploy a firearm to preserve ones life would be extremely low. Of course the law says you can deploy a firearm for less than that, but IMHO this is where people get into trouble.

As Abraham Maslow says:
    "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail".

I like to have more tools than a hammer in my tool box.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 6th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast