Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Cool Looking to join near Williamsport/Muncy

Hi, I have been a member of the boards for awhile. I live in Muncy, 45 yo, hunted or went out w/ others since I was 10, not hunted for a couple of years but looking to get back into it. The primary reasons for that is 1)son decided he wasn't interested. 2)no place to hunt (other than state ground or w/in situations that I don't enjoy). So, I am trying to find a good bunch of guys to hunt with. Anyone know of any camps looking for safe, fun, responsible, hard working members please give me a yell at susquehannaretriever@comcast.net. Some of my criteria would be: w/in 1 hour of Williamsport/Muncy, have a cabin that can be used year round, responsible, ethical members that don't drink WHILE hunting. Leases would be fine as long as there is a place to stay. Appreciate it, have a good holiday. Jeff

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Looking to join near Williamsport/Muncy

Quote Originally Posted by muncylabman View Post
    Hi, I have been a member of the boards for awhile. I live in Muncy, 45 yo, hunted or went out w/ others since I was 10, not hunted for a couple of years but looking to get back into it. The primary reasons for that is 1)son decided he wasn't interested. 2)no place to hunt (other than state ground or w/in situations that I don't enjoy). So, I am trying to find a good bunch of guys to hunt with. Anyone know of any camps looking for safe, fun, responsible, hard working members please give me a yell at susquehannaretriever@comcast.net. Some of my criteria would be: w/in 1 hour of Williamsport/Muncy, have a cabin that can be used year round, responsible, ethical members that don't drink WHILE hunting. Leases would be fine as long as there is a place to stay. Appreciate it, have a good holiday. Jeff
    Good luck on your quest...Local people ALWAYS take this wrong but having lived in Erie and Warren all I can honestly say is good luck..this area out of the parts in PA ive lived is the worst as far as being a "friendly community" Pretty much if you were not born,lived,worked here all your life your a outsider and not truly "welcome" in the area...We always got invied by co workers to parties,bowling,movies,camping,BBQ's,wing night all that stuff...in 16 years in this part of PA ive been invited to id say 4 things in 16 years...back in Erie or Warren we would get invited to 4 things in a WEEK....

thats a 180 degree difference from Erie and Warren where we felt welcome and were always doing things with people either from my wifes work or my work cause the people there(from Erie and Warren) would go out of their way to make sure you felt welcome and invite you to do things.

Thats just not the case in this area after living here for 16 years we still feel like outsiders and people are still pretty clicky and invite and do things with people they know,knew growing up and from the area and kinda tend to exclude people that were not born and raised here...dont know why..but strangely enough some people at work that were from Harrisburg,Warren and North East(near Erie) said the exact same thing when we talk about the area and how "unfriendly it is to "outsiders"..so its not just me lol..like I said good luck. I dont even bother hunting in this County I over to Warren and back to New York state to hunt

I really like PA as a State and have lived in PA for over 20 years and will probably stay here..but as soon as I can get out of this area of the state the sooner the better..then we can have friends again and do things lol
    Last edited by CBennett; December 25th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Last edited by LowCapacity; August 4th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by LowCapacity View Post
    +1. I moved to eastern Lycoming Co. from Berwick when I was about 11 and didn't really notice much of a difference in people but my Grandparents lived in Unityville forever so maybe thats why. Where I'm at now, in Clinton County, is a different story...

Williamsport is full of "billy-bad-ass" white trash who always want to fight and drug dealers/straw buyers/murderers from Philly, but it was once I moved to Clinton County for my job that the differences became really apparent. People around here aren't just rude, they're downright nasty and hostile. Maybe its from the lack of prosperous jobs, everyone here still talks about Piper, Corning, and the other factories they've worked at closing... I don't know.

It seems if you like to replace your blood with Busch Light every night then you're accepted a little more but they'll still find something to hate about you. I was told by a coworker recently "You ain't from Clinton County, you ain't one of us" ..so that about sums it up.
    Lol but why is it just THIS part of PA lol...Erie was great, Warren was better yet..Harrisburg is good from what ive seen and over near Altoona and Pittsburgh people have went out of their way to make me feel at home...just VERY strange lol. In the part of NY I was raised in we made extra/special attempts to be sure that new people coming into the community felt welcome...invited them to stuff in the community and to BBQ's and parties, hunting and fishing or shooting...here it seems like they go out of their way to EXCLUDE you .

(Clinton County)

+1. I moved to eastern Lycoming Co. from Berwick when I was about 11 and didn't really notice much of a difference in people but my Grandparents lived in Unityville forever so maybe thats why. Where I'm at now, in Clinton County, is a different story...

Williamsport is full of "billy-bad-ass" white trash who always want to fight and drug dealers/straw buyers/murderers from Philly, but it was once I moved to Clinton County for my job that the differences became really apparent. People around here aren't just rude, they're downright nasty and hostile. Maybe its from the lack of prosperous jobs, everyone here still talks about Piper, Corning, and the other factories they've worked at closing... I don't know.

It seems if you like to replace your blood with Busch Light every night then you're accepted a little more but they'll still find something to hate about you. I was told by a coworker recently "You ain't from Clinton County, you ain't one of us" ..so that about sums it up.
    Just because my wife screwed up your gun while shooting it does not mean all Clinton Co people are bad. Besides she was not from clinton co. She is not one of us.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Lycoming County)

I'm sorry to say I agree with much of what you've said here... I'm originally from St. Louis and people from the midwest are much more open and friendly. We've lived here in Lycoming county since 1994, and for the most part have enjoyed our stay. But we just don't feel like it's "home" if you know what I mean. In Muncy everyone knows everyone else's business, many folks are judgmental and ill-tempered. Don't know why, it's just the way it is. Maybe it's inbreeding!

Here chewing tobacco is another food group and camouflage is a favorite color. I really don't know why there is such hostility, because the people who act proud and stuck up don't really have much to be proud about.

My wife and I are talking about moving to north or south Carolina, I've heard from a lot of people the economy there is good and people are relaxed. So we'll see...
    Great website & advertising design for reasonable prices: www.ksaag.com

(Lycoming County)

Well, I'm sorry that some feel unwelcome to our area. I am from Williamsport and will agree that there is some unresolved tensions and the like, that could be from the level of crime that we are seeing. I will admit, I am not an avid hunter but, will do it if I have a reliable companion. I know the back roads and have several hundred acres available in Tioga county during hunting seasons. My passed Uncle would not take me hunting because I was "A city slicker" . Well, I would have a thing or two to tell him if he were to be still with us.... I would LOVE to hunt with a responsible person in this area, shoot a PM or email me at; kohlerphotography@gmail.com if you are interested. I am not out to kill everything that moves or shoot irresponsibly, I just want to follow the rules, hunt and eat my harvest.