Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default I gotta stay away from Classic Pistol (SCAR 17S)

each Christmas I like to buy myself a nice firearm as a gift to myself and I've been searching around for something nice that's a little different from what i already have. about three months ago i was window shopping at CP and saw a LNIB COLT delta elite in 10mm for 650 OTD, while paying off the delta elite CP had a LNIB Colt 6920 for $850 w/quad rail, magpul pistol grip and collapsable stock so i bought that too, wasn't looking for a 6920 but for 850 it was too good a deal to pass up.

so yesterday against my better judgement i decided to see if CP had anything new and as soon as i walk in they have a SCAR 17S in stock. i've been wanting a SCAR rifle for some time now but the prices were out of my reach so all i could do was lust after one. as soon as i handled the 17s i knew i had to have it and since i just got finished paying some bills off i figured i could afford it. CP price was the best i've seen so far at 2679 with tanners a close 2nd asking 2750 but they didn't have any in stock and the cheapest price i've seen on the internet was 2899. i really wanted a black rifle but the black ones are near impossible to find so i settled on the FDE which looks OK but i think black looks better. the rifle is really well put together and after comparing it with the bushmaster ACR i think the SCAR is superior.

some things i'm not happy about are the mags, you only get one and FN currently is not selling extra mags. i'm sure this will change in the near future because it would be insane if you couldn't buy spare mags. the upside is the mags are modified FAL mags so it may be possible to get a FAL mag to fit and function in the SCAR. the follower and feed lips on the SCAR mag is slightly different than the FAL mag and the mag catch is located on the left side similar to a ar15 mag. i've got a couple of beat up FAL mags to experiment with so I'll see what happens. the rifle comes in a plain cheapass cardboard box which is disappointing when rifles that cost 100's less come in a nice plastic or soft carry case. i know FN is probably trying to maximize profits but damn they could have at least shipped the rifle with a styrofoam insert to help protect the rifles finish from getting marred.

overall i'm satisfied wih the SCAR and CP price but i'm going to have to put a couple of guns that are gathering dust in the safe up for sale to help pay this puppy off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 5th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: I gotta stay away from Classic Pistol (SCAR 17S)

Nice gift! Way to score on that Delta Elite as well. I do most of my shooting at CP, I'm angry I missed that Delta Elite!!!! None the less, congrats!!
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Cumberland County)

Sigh... my dream rifle is either a SCAR 17s or HK 417. I'm jealous. Are they really worth the near $3k price? I've only handled one SCAR. I forget if it was a 16s or 17s, but it was black. THe guy at the shop said. "They're great guns" blah blah blah and after a few good comments on it he finished with "but they're not worth $3000". I STILL WANT ONE!
    Last edited by EvoRich; December 5th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRich View Post
    Sigh... my dream rifle is either a SCAR 17s or HK 417. I'm jealous. Are they really worth the near $3k price? I've only handled one SCAR. I forget if it was a 16s or 17s, but it was black. THe guy at the shop said. "They're great guns" blah blah blah and after a few good comments on it he finished with "but they're not worth $3000". I STILL WANT ONE!
    they are great guns from everything i've read and if the rifle had been priced any higher than the $2679 i paid i probably would have passed. the cheapest i've seen the SCAR 17 on the internet was 2899 and when i called tanners they were asking $2750 but didn't have any in stock. upon inspecting the rifle it seems to be really well built but i honestly can't say it's worth 3 grand. with that said i don't anticipate the price on them to really drop much further than what i paid. it would be interesting to know what it costs FN to manufacture the rifle and then you'd know it's true value. for now i'm satisfied but i'll have to go through my safe and see what i can get rid of to help pay the SCAR off.

(Chester County)

Wellcraft - costs of manufacturing should have little to no relationship to retail price. Retail price should be set by supply and demand.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Wellcraft - costs of manufacturing should have little to no relationship to retail price. Retail price should be set by supply and demand.

I understand supply and demand and how it relates to the price of any particular item but i disagree with you that manufacturing cost has little or no relationship to retail price. manufacturing cost has everything to do with retail price. one of the reasons many US companies have moved manufacturing overseas is because labor is cheaper which makes manufacturing costs cheaper which allows the company to be more competitive in a global market and offer their product at a lower retail price.

with all that said i have no problem with FN making as much money as they can on every product they sell because i'm a firm believer of capitalism and don't begrudge anyone from making as much money as they can so long as they aren't stealing or ripping anyone off.

(Philadelphia County)

I want one, too!!!!! Very nice.

(Montgomery County)

Nice pick up, but I fondled her first!!
    I had her in my hot sweaty hands on Thursday but decided to pass on her (too many toy purchases in the last month!!)

Congrats on your pick up and good luck with her!!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Nice gun. Good find on the Delta & 6920, too. The only used guns you find in gun shops around here are raggety Winchester 94's & Ruger Blackhawks. Well, it's not quite that bad, but I seldom see anything that I REALLY want.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Nice pick up, but I fondled her first!!
    I had her in my hot sweaty hands on Thursday but decided to pass on her (too many toy purchases in the last month!!)

Congrats on your pick up and good luck with her!!
    i wish you would've picked her up because then i'd be 2679 richer it's funny how you can see a particular gun and it immediately gets under your skin and you have to have it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast