Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 24/7

(Susquehanna County)

Default Taurus 24/7

I just purchased a Taurus PT 24/7 in 9mm through Gunbroker.com Has anyone had any experience with this model? All the reviews that I read were very positive. It compared very favorably with the equivalent Glock and XD's at a much lower price.
    My local dealer indicated there was going to be a substantial price increase in the near future.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I just purchased a Taurus PT 24/7 in 9mm through Gunbroker.com Has anyone had any experience with this model? All the reviews that I read were very positive. It compared very favorably with the equivalent Glock and XD's at a much lower price.
    My local dealer indicated there was going to be a substantial price increase in the near future.
    I've never handled or shot one, but I'd love to see a review of it once you get it and take it out to the range.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lehigh County)

Don't have a 24/7 model but I have a PT138 in .380, shoot well over 6K rounds of all kind of ammo that I can find, no problem since day one, good little gun for summer pocket carry, POA is good on my hand and POI is OK at 15', the tightest group I could do on a good day is 2" at 15' of a 10rds mag, usually 3" at same distance, it's not a target gun for sure, the trigger pull is heavy at first, get smoother but not lighter.

Default Re: Taurus 24/7

I like my Taurus 24/7 D SS LS in .40 cal its a new design and full featured gun. My past experience with Taurus autos have not been good. But I gambled on there new design buying the 2nd improved 24/7 but not the more improved in my opinion 2nd generation 24/7. The improvement was the better trigger and improved magazines. Like most Pro 24/7 it has the rail system and it holds my gun light better then my Glock 21sf pictney rail (no play once locked in is the 24/7).

It does not like target loaded under 900fps 40 cal just like the Glock and 8040 (unlike the B96 that will shoot anything) but factory spec ammo i haven't had any problems with this gun is pretty accurate, reliable, durable and solid built. It is a fighting pistol 15 rounds of 40 S&W coming with you makes this gun a great carry gun. I wouldn't rank it with the Glock or Beretta just yet but I have full confidence in this pistol. Looking at the 2nd generation 24/7 its continued to improve taking on features simliar to the Glock having choice of no manual safety or frame saftey, take down level like a Glock, trigger designed like a Glock. These pistol look more Glock like simple and effective I like my guns original features but I have to admitt my gun with those improvement would be a better design. Kind of like a cheaper Glock but I see they have drop the rounds in each magazine 10 45acp, 13 40 cal and 15 9mm.

Our 24/7 were max mags 12 45acp, 15 40 cal and 17 9mm they give us and then they take away.

I have no regrets the 24/7 made me believe in Taurus again they don't just make good revolvers.

I may buy a 24/7 2nd gen in 9mm.

Question Re: Taurus 24/7

i am intrested in the 24/7 from tauris,, and in reading the coments i keep hearing about the 2nd improved 24/7 ,, or 2nd grneration of the 24/7 can you tell me what this is, and how do i know what the improved version is

My wife's carry weapon is a newer Taurus 24/7 Pro with the Heinie sights, 17round 9mm. She loves it, she, her brother, and I all shoot it equally well at the range amidst our other handguns. I think the first two magazines she spent through it the last-round-keep-open didn't function properly, but the third magazine on she's never had any problems (and even then - all it did was closed empty - still didn't jam, etc). We've shot JHP, HP, FMJ, brass & steel and haven't had any troubles.

Compared to my Ruger P95 the barrel is about 3/4" longer (when disassembled - actual barrel length) even though the firearms are the same overall length. The feed ramp is way more highly polished than the P95 and the barrel is thicker wall also. The magazines are the same height and width, yet the Taurus holds the extra 2 rounds due to a more high compression spring. The trigger's DA/SA are really barely different, vs others where the DA can also be double-the-weight. It's got a regular slide-lock/trigger-lock safety, and if you click the safety up again it also decocks. No way to re-cock thought without spitting out a round if you're chambered though.

Taking apart is (to me) not as simple as a Glock, nor even my P95 - but it's still easy to figure out.

It came in around $380 in stainless. Only complaint is that Rugers, Glocks, etc, all came with a little easy-loader for their magazines - while the Taurus comes with the case, their safety keys, and two magazines - no easy-loader. Luckily she has an UpLula for range-time, etc.

(Westmoreland County)

I had a 24/7. For some reason I could not find the right combo reloads and I did not shoot it very accurate. It may be me but I don't have problems shooting my Glock 17. I traded the Taurus for a Springfield Loaded 1911. After having it for approx. 2 yrs. lost about $100 on the trade.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

I've got the 24/7 OSS in .45 ACP and love it. It shoots good, never had a jam, and I hit what I aim at. While it will never replace the 1911, the older my eyes get, the better I like the sghts.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiont52 View Post
    i am intrested in the 24/7 from tauris,, and in reading the coments i keep hearing about the 2nd improved 24/7 ,, or 2nd grneration of the 24/7 can you tell me what this is, and how do i know what the improved version is

Look at Taurus Catalogue 2010.com

The 2nd Generation 24/7s and 800 series take on Glock like look and take down levels I think the 800 series always had the side slide dismounts levels just like the Glock. Not only is the disassembly just like the Glock and on some models you can request no slide safety leaving only a slide release just like the Glock and the trigger has been redesigned to have a trigger safety JLG. The frame and slide have been redesigned to give JLG appearance. I'd like to shoot one to compare I already have 3 Glocks, I'd like to see how close they got. I guess the plan is to sell cheaper Glocks, they did pretty good selling cheaper Berettas.

I like my 24/7 but I'd probably like it more if it broke down as easily as a Glock, like the 2nd generations do, and if the tigger is just as simple and good as a Glock hell it might be JLG. Makes you wonder how close you can get JLG before they sue you????
    Last edited by Neko456; June 4th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Why ask about it after it is too late? I have a friend who used to have one, I never liked it, he did, but he sold it in less than a year and bought a Glock. Take it for what it is worth.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast