Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help! Chipped Glock Barrel!

Just got my brand new Glock 19 Gen 3 just barely a week ago. I've only gone to the range one time, and went through 240 rounds. After cleaning my glock and re-cleaning it later on, I noticed today that there was a chip on my barrel (a step right above where the spring locks). I ran my nail across it and I am quite certain it is a chip. You can see it from the attached pic.

The barrel has not been dropped at all. Being so unfamiliar in this field...I was wondering if it is normal wear and tear, or should I be concerned where the chip originated from? It looks pretty much like a paint chip but I'd prefer advice from people that are more experienced in this matter...

Any recommendations or answers are welcome. Thanks all!

Default Re: Help! Chipped Glock Barrel!

that is not normal, not on any gun much less a Glock. I would contact the gun shop you bought it in and maybe they will be nice enough to give you another barrel and send this one back to Glock being that it's a week old. If not then Glock will certainly send you a new one.

(Montgomery County)

I can't think of anything that would contact that area during normal cycling. If as you say it hasn't been dropped, I would guess it's a manufacturing defect. How closely did you look at it before the range visit? (I'm assuming you cleaned it before the first round of shooting, but some folks don't.) Any chance you missed that it was there already?

I doubt it would cause you any issues in the long run, but it is worth contacting Glock. It would bother me too, since I'm pretty anal retentive when it comes to my guns, especially brand new ones.

Is the end of the guide rod supposed to sit on that "step" or the "step" under that?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Thanks for all the replies! I will def call glock or go to the gun shop where I purchased it from.

SCBaldr, the end of the guide rod sits on the step under.

(Montgomery County)

Looks to me like those 2 areas are where:

- The recoil spring assembly sits

and

- Where the barrel's locking lug hits the locking block when the slide is on its way back into battery

If it were mine, I would put a few hundred more rounds through it before I got concerned - See if it gets any worse, or gets to a certain point and then remains static....

Or look inside the frame for any burrs, etc. on the locking block that might have caused the ding on the locking lug.

I'm assuming the gun functioned fine?

PS - Is that a factory finished barrel? Looks more gray than black, but its probably your camera's flash doing that...

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

How is that damage even possible?

(Montgomery County)

The semicircular "half-moon" cutout in the barrel lug is where the back end of the recoil spring assembly rod sits. Make sure it is well seated there during reassembly.

One way to verify proper seating of the RSA is to view the slide from the side. The installed RSA should be parallel to the barrel. If it is sitting at any angle, it's not installed properly. It should also be centered in the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Looks to me like those 2 areas are where:

- The recoil spring assembly sits

and

- Where the barrel's locking lug hits the locking block when the slide is on its way back into battery

If it were mine, I would put a few hundred more rounds through it before I got concerned - See if it gets any worse, or gets to a certain point and then remains static....

Or look inside the frame for any burrs, etc. on the locking block that might have caused the ding on the locking lug.

I'm assuming the gun functioned fine?

PS - Is that a factory finished barrel? Looks more gray than black, but its probably your camera's flash doing that...

Regards,

Bones
    Yeah, the barrel is factory finish and much darker in person, the lighting in my room isn't so great which made it look much grayer.

The gun is functional fine, and I always make sure the spring is parallel to the slide when reassembling it. I'm just confused how this happened since the barrel has never been improperly managed.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by raverm View Post
    JI noticed today that there was a chip on my barrel (a step right above where the spring locks). I ran my nail across it and I am quite certain it is a chip. You can see it from the attached pic.
    Is it a chip in the metal, or a chip in the finish? Either way, I'd contact Glock and let them know. I would also refrain from firing it further until you've spoken to them. This is not normal wear for a Glock, particularly not one this young.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast