I bought a NIB Mark III at Cabela's the other day, got home and cleaned off all the factory oil. I put an empty mag in and cycled the gun. Played with it for a few minutes. Went to dry fire it and nothing. Checked all the obvious, safety, internal lock so on. Still nothing. I even went as far as to put a spent round in and try again in case there was some odd set up that wouldn't cock unless there was a round in (I know it was unlikely). To late to call Ruger so I put it away.
Next day I get home from work and call Ruger. They go over the obvious with me then say I can try to walk you though a possible solution. I agree and go get the telephone book and tools to field strip the gun. He instructed me to release the bull pin, depress the trigger and as hard as I could in a hammer motion hit the muzzle on the phone book! I laughed but being that you use a rubber hammer to break it down the first few times it didn't seem too odd. Still no luck. So he requested the gun be sent back to Ruger for inspection/repair.
Usually I dry fire a prospected purchase but in Cabela's it is taboo unless you have one of the more sane salesmen, or maybe I just had an ass once.
Must have been firing pin day, later on at the range the fiance's Bersa Thunder CC popped a spring off and wouldn't fire. Easy fix once home. Now that the spring is on it works as DA/SA. Something it didn't do out of the box I never noticed because I only fired it once at the range prior. She pointed it out after I repaired it. We are going to keep an eye on it for a while and hope it was off from factory and not coming off when fired a few times.
With that said, that is 2 guns purchased from Cabela's that both had issues I never had a problem before with any firearm. I am thinking I will start using Cabela's to handle guns and purchase from a local shop that can do more advanced repairs and have more knowledge on things. I can't help but think a decent shop would have been able to break down the Ruger and see what was going on and maybe fix it, I believe the hammer is out of position but can't get it apart to check. If said shop could have I wouldn't have lost my new gun for unknown amount of time while it is going home to the factory.
Has anyone here had a similar problem with either gun. Anyone know how quick Ruger is in general?