Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ruger Mark III Target, firing pin failure

I bought a NIB Mark III at Cabela's the other day, got home and cleaned off all the factory oil. I put an empty mag in and cycled the gun. Played with it for a few minutes. Went to dry fire it and nothing. Checked all the obvious, safety, internal lock so on. Still nothing. I even went as far as to put a spent round in and try again in case there was some odd set up that wouldn't cock unless there was a round in (I know it was unlikely). To late to call Ruger so I put it away.
    Next day I get home from work and call Ruger. They go over the obvious with me then say I can try to walk you though a possible solution. I agree and go get the telephone book and tools to field strip the gun. He instructed me to release the bull pin, depress the trigger and as hard as I could in a hammer motion hit the muzzle on the phone book! I laughed but being that you use a rubber hammer to break it down the first few times it didn't seem too odd. Still no luck. So he requested the gun be sent back to Ruger for inspection/repair.
    Usually I dry fire a prospected purchase but in Cabela's it is taboo unless you have one of the more sane salesmen, or maybe I just had an ass once.
    Must have been firing pin day, later on at the range the fiance's Bersa Thunder CC popped a spring off and wouldn't fire. Easy fix once home. Now that the spring is on it works as DA/SA. Something it didn't do out of the box I never noticed because I only fired it once at the range prior. She pointed it out after I repaired it. We are going to keep an eye on it for a while and hope it was off from factory and not coming off when fired a few times.
    With that said, that is 2 guns purchased from Cabela's that both had issues I never had a problem before with any firearm. I am thinking I will start using Cabela's to handle guns and purchase from a local shop that can do more advanced repairs and have more knowledge on things. I can't help but think a decent shop would have been able to break down the Ruger and see what was going on and maybe fix it, I believe the hammer is out of position but can't get it apart to check. If said shop could have I wouldn't have lost my new gun for unknown amount of time while it is going home to the factory.
    Has anyone here had a similar problem with either gun. Anyone know how quick Ruger is in general?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Mark III Target, firing pin failure

You sure it was a firing pin issue?

Did you disassemble the gun? Did anybody else? I suppose it is possible that when reassembled it might not have had the spring that is on the hammer lined up with the spot on the latch for it. That would cause the hammer not to work right.

-Zach

(Berks County)

The gun can not be disassembled. I owned a Mark I, so I am quite familiar with tear down process. It may not be the firing pin, but that in the end is what doesn't work. Whether its not engaging to begin with or not releasing.

The bolt pin releases but will not swing out on the hinge. Something is not allowing it to. The Ruger tech had me check to make sure the internal safety screw wasn't hanging up, which it wasn't, it was flush. The tech and I both assume a spring or foreign object is jamming it. I will know for sure when they look at it at the factory.

(Bucks County)

I suspect somebody at the store didn't know what they were doing and jammed it closed.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    The gun can not be disassembled. I owned a Mark I, so I am quite familiar with tear down process. It may not be the firing pin, but that in the end is what doesn't work. Whether its not engaging to begin with or not releasing.

The bolt pin releases but will not swing out on the hinge. Something is not allowing it to. The Ruger tech had me check to make sure the internal safety screw wasn't hanging up, which it wasn't, it was flush. The tech and I both assume a spring or foreign object is jamming it. I will know for sure when they look at it at the factory.

(Berks County)

Possible for some guns sold there I guess, but, at Cabela's the guns aren't touched until paperwork is getting filled out. They keep displays in the case to fondle. I also watched them break the seal on the box.

(Lycoming County)

It sound's to me that your gun is cocked, but will not fire when the trigger is pulled, Is that the situation? If so, the main spring housing will not swing out in this condition. I'd suggest removing the grips, give all the internals a good blast of CLP, and cycle the bolt a few times and try again.
    The trigger may not have reset, try tapping the barrel on a soft surface while pushing forward on the back of the trigger.
    If all else fails, you can drive out the hammer and sear pins and this will release the action for disassembly. You'll end up with a bunch of parts to put back together, if you're ready for this go for it.
    A great resource for Ruger pistols is here...
    http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html
    Best of luck sorting yours out.
    My Best, Walt

(Berks County)

Thanks for the advise, Ruger didn't instruct me to push forward on the trigger. I am going to call Cabela's and see if I can try that before they ship my gun back.

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Ruger Mark III Target, firing pin failure

Glad to find out about your experience, bad though it IS at the moment!

I have one - a safe queen - that I've fired exactly once (demonstration out the back door to the wife, that the .22LR isn't that loud... ouch ), but am hoping to fire a LOT more this coming year. I definitely want to keep apprised of any 'issues' that pop up with this model!

(Berks County)

I owned a Mark I. The reason I chose the Mark III over something like a Buckmark is simply I loved the Mark I. I'm only upset that I didn't get to fire it. I could tear the whole thing down and reassemble it by removing pins and such but being it was never fired I feel it should be right from factory. Cabela's said I can come in and try a few things before it gets sent back. So with any luck, manually releasing the hammer or tapping it while pushing the trigger forward will resolve the issue. Hell I might even just bring it home and tear it apart and save the lost time with it. Then call Ruger and see if I can get something out of them for my troubles!

(Berks County)

Update:
    Fixed! the fixer, a 3lb dead blow hammer. Turns out it needed more force than slamming it down on a Phone book. A few good shots and the trigger engaged and dry fired. Now it comes apart as designed.

I gave it a complete tear down to inspect for anything out of place. All looks good. With any luck I can get it out tomorrow before I leave for NY for a week.

Thank you for the links I have then book marked now for future reference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast