Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger Mark III Target, firing pin failure

Don't forget to accessorize with volquartsen.

I just test fired my Ruger Mark III Target tonight for the first time...Before I ever fired it from the factory, I replaced a bunch of the internals to match that of my Ruger Mark III Hunter.

Both feel good. A little different in the triggers (but the hunter has A LOT of rounds through it now) and the grips are different.

I was also surprised at how much more the target weighed than the hunter.

-Zach

(Berks County)

I wouldn't think there would be much of a weight difference in them, I know the Hunters are fluted, but I wouldn't think it would be more than a couple ounces lighter. Interesting. Are they the same barrel length?

(Bucks County)

Yep, same barrel length. Also, the emblem at the bottom of the magazines is all black on the target model while the magazines for the hunter are red. The ruger magazine I bought later is also red. Just small things I notice.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I wouldn't think there would be much of a weight difference in them, I know the Hunters are fluted, but I wouldn't think it would be more than a couple ounces lighter. Interesting. Are they the same barrel length?

(Allegheny County)

I am curious about the difference of the fluted Hunter and the target (slab sided i believe)? I have the hunter and wondered if adding a target pistol of same length (almost 7 in) would be a good choice. What is your thoughts on these compared to each other?
    (I am telling the hubby that this way we can each have one!)
    Thanks.

(Bucks County)

I like them both. I have only fired the target once now, but it felt good. The grips on it are funny, but really facilitate one handed shooting. However, I have another set of grips on order anyway. Oh, if you are a lefty, you will hate the target model with the factory grips.

The target is indeed slab sided. For a few moments I had one in each hand and fired alternating which one I shot. That was fun! From what I could tell, the target model had a little more weight to it. This resulted in slightly less kick as well...but it is .22 so it is all slightly less kick when you just fired a .40 S&W Sig 239 right before.

Otherwise they are more or less the same gun. Really the barrel is the only difference. The Hunter comes with the fiber optic from the factory and the rear notch is a V while the target has a square notch and a normal sight (which went to fiber optic fronts on both guns with square notches on both as well).

However, if you are looking for an excuse:
    [exaggeration]They are completely different beasts! Shooting one from the other is like night and day! If I didn't own both, I don't know how I would go on living!![/exaggeration]

Funny enough, the reason I bought a second Mark III is that my girlfriend always uses my Hunter so I never get a chance to shoot it. Now we can both have a Ruger in our hands. And despite me getting the slab side for her to shoot, I ended up shooting it more and she still preferred the Hunter because she knew it better. I don't care either way. Both are extremely nice out of the box guns and with a minimal investment in parts (I can't talk up volquartsen parts enough - they should pay me for how much I talk about their parts!), you can have an even better shooter than competes with much more expensive guns.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I am curious about the difference of the fluted Hunter and the target (slab sided i believe)? I have the hunter and wondered if adding a target pistol of same length (almost 7 in) would be a good choice. What is your thoughts on these compared to each other?
    (I am telling the hubby that this way we can each have one!)
    Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks! The Ruger i meant re slab side barrel is actually the Competition, not the Target model.
    We changed the fiber optic and v notch on the Hunter to the competition sights i ordered from Ruger. For some reason, we didnt like the v notch design. The part I need to work on is that my hubby is a lefty and he cannot use that odd shaped grip (of course we could order a different one). Still working on excuses for one though!!

Just thought i would mention this in case you don't have one. We picked up some Ultimate Cliploaders from McFadden Machine Co and once you try this to load your magazines - you will be hooked ! These things are awesome !! Just bring lots of ammo because you will go thru it in no time! Oh and a little silicone sprayed inside will help sticking.
    Last edited by Just1more; December 5th, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: changed some wording

(Bucks County)

Actually the side of my Ruger reads, Competition Target Model so we are both correct.

I didn't like the v notch at all either. that I why I went with a standard set of sights. Then I ended up putting the fiber optic back on and leaving the squared rear sight.

And I own the ultimate clip loader and I couldn't agree more. It is the best 25$ I have ever spent on any gun ever. Your thumbs thank you! People at the range are always asking about it. It is really a neat invention!

-Zach

Thanks! The Ruger i meant re slab side barrel is actually the Competition, not the Target model.
    We changed the fiber optic and v notch on the Hunter to the competition sights i ordered from Ruger. For some reason, we didnt like the v notch design. The part I need to work on is that my hubby is a lefty and he cannot use that odd shaped grip (of course we could order a different one). Still working on excuses for one though!!

Just thought i would mention this in case you don't have one. We picked up some Ultimate Cliploaders from McFadden Machine Co and once you try this to load your magazines - you will be hooked ! These things are awesome !! Just bring lots of ammo because you will go thru it in no time! Oh and a little silicone sprayed inside will help sticking.

(Allegheny County)

They are supposedly working on one for a 9mm ! Hope so - another reason to buy another gun!

(Berks County)

They are supposedly working on one for a 9mm ! Hope so - another reason to buy another gun!
    Do you really need a reason?

(Allegheny County)

I don't think so, but my hubby seems to. I have around 6 different 9mm options on my wish list and I suggested that I only needed 1 of the 6 ;-) I think that's reasonable!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast