Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Question Handgun transfer (gift) from NY relative.

My wife's grandfather (from NY) has an old revolver he just found at his house he forgot he owned it and doesn't feel like getting a permit to keep the old gun. He'd like to transfer it to us, but not sure what all we need to do to keep it as legal as possible. I don't feel like landing a weapons charge just for accepting a gift from him...

It was never registered as far as we know of, and he just wants to give it away. Do we need to do a FFL to FFL or what do we need to do?

FWIW it's just an old American Bulldog .32 but it's in decent visible condition and we'd like to keep it if for no other reason than sentimental value.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer (gift) from NY relative.

The gun would have to be transferred at a FFL in PA. If you can find one that will accept a shipment from a non-FFL then he can just send it and you can then go to the FFL to do the transfer. He could also hand carry it to the FFL and then do the transfer or ne can get a FFL in NY to send it to your FFL in PA.

If he were a resident of PA, he could just give it to your wife (his granddaughter) with no paperwork required as long as she is allowed to possess firearms.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Default Re: Handgun transfer (gift) from NY relative.

Just a bit of caution. I'm not too familiar with NYS laws but from what I understand you cannot transport (possess?) a handgun in NYS unless you have a license with that specific handgun registered to it. I also understand that the regs can vary by county. If he's in NYC then the problem may be doubly complicated.

Before the grandfather-in-law does anything, you or he better research the NYS (and NYC?) laws to see how he can legally get it to an NY FFL for shipment or personally direct ship/deliver it to the Pa FFL.

Any insights from more knowledgeable NYS types??????
    IANAL