Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Philly: Public Hearing On Police Conduct & Out Of State LTCFs

Click the bill # for details of each.

City of Philadelphia
    Public Hearing Notice

The Committee on Public Safety of the Council of the City of Philadelphia will hold a Public Hearing Tuesday, December 14, 2010, at 10:00 AM, in Room 400, City Hall, to hear testimony on the following items:

100722 .... An Ordinance amending Chapter 10-818 of The Philadelphia Code to provide that no person shall carry a firearm on public streets or public property unless the person is licensed to carry such firearm by a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, regardless of whether the person possesses a license issued in another state, under certain terms and conditions.

100731 .... Resolution authorizing City Council's Committee on Public Safety to hold a public hearing to consider and evaluate the issues surfacing around the Philadelphia Police Department and the conduct of its officers.

Immediately following the public hearing, a meeting of the Committee on Public Safety, open to the public, will be held to consider the action to be taken on the above listed items.

Copies of the foregoing items are available in the Office of the Chief Clerk of the Council, Room 402, City Hall.

Michael A. Decker
    Chief Clerk

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Philly: Public Hearing On Police Conduct & Out Of State LTCFs

So reciprocity with another state ends as you enter Philthy, or... (3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this Section shall be a fine of not less
    than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.

Criminal.

(Westmoreland County)

Authorizing City Council’s Committee on Public Safety to hold a public hearing to
    consider and evaluate the issues surfacing around the Philadelphia Police Department and
    the conduct of its officers.
    WHEREAS, In the last few months, there has been a rise in Police Officer conduct that
    is very questionable and very damaging to the reputation and integrity of the Police
    Department; and
    WHEREAS, There must be clear and concise measures on the rights and responsibilities
    of citizens and police officers of Philadelphia; and
    WHEREAS, It is imperative that the Police Department preserve the respect and
    authority it has worked so long and hard to earn; and
    WHEREAS, The bridge between the Police Department and the Community must not be
    allowed to deteriorate during these hard times; and
    WHEREAS, No matter what can be found to be the actual cause or circumstances, the
    current environment of violent crime, danger and fear must not be tolerated and this
    culture of futility, finger-pointing and resentment can not be accepted; and
    WHEREAS, Research and experience shows that when events are properly reported: and
    effective programs, policy, education and training are employed, the incidence and
    prevalence of disastrous events in the community and the tragic events targeted towards
    our law enforcement may be prevented and possibly avoided; and
    WHEREAS, Proactive measures must be taken immediately to ensure that all work
    cooperatively, with determination and diligence to identify, implement and reinforce any
    administrative, legislative or community programs, policies or actions that will help put
    an end to the growth of these problems, and demonstrate real response to the public’s
    concerns; now therefore,
    Based on this, it seems even the city knows they have hired goons on their force.

I'm considering making the trip to Philly for 100722. I'm curious to see how they plan to get around the state Constitution.

It's kind of ironic, one is calling for tighter control of citizens that smacks of pre-emption and the other is looking into a PD that seems out of control in it's dealings with it's citizens.

What a mess. As if the police on the street aren't confused enough, now the city wants to change things up again.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

"I'm curious to see how they plan to get around the state Constitution."

That is exactly what came to my mind. There seems to be no end to the ways in which government tries to circumvent the law to suit their current fickle political desires.

I have no real interest in The City Of Brotherly Love and how they conduct their business but this is pure bull.

The citizens of Philly should be making a lot of noise about this.

who should i call to bitch about this, what is my best argument? wasting time and money on something that is unconstitutional?

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    who should i call to bitch about this, what is my best argument? wasting time and money on something that is unconstitutional?
    There is no one to call.....you have to attend the meeting on 12/14, 10am Rm 400 at City Hall. That is where you can add your 2cents. As for any argument I'd think posing a simple question would be best to have to cause them to be defensive on their lame position. "Sir, can you explain to the citizens of the Commonwealth how this does not conflict with the PA Consitution?"
    Last edited by ErSwnn; December 9th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Allegheny County)

This Philly Ordinance is clearly illegal.

Way over the line. Read the wording in OP

As it doesn't let anyone resident (with a non resident LTCF permit) or even non residents JUST visiting PA to use Reciprocity statues that exists in current state law under the UFA.

Unless you posses a PA issued LTCF permit NO ONE else is allowed to carry a firearm in Philly under this Ordinance unless you meet the limited exemptions.

Clearily a violation of the UFA

If this one gets passed, all that need happen is someone with "standing" from a state that PA now honors their LTCF to be cited and take this to court, game over for Philly.

Now everyone lets look at the bigger goal of all of this effort, in case some of you haven’t been paying attention is the claim that no one should be allowed to carry a firearm from out of state because of the way they process, review or issues LTCF permits is allegedly less than PA standards.

Many of our former attorney generals had this view before Tom Corbett was elected to this position and IF another anti-gun gets elected next (very good chance of this happening BTW) you will see how fast other states or all existing Reciprocity can be canceled with no recourse by the next elected attorney general.

For Right now the “reason” being used with the so called “loop hole” with PA residents getting out of state LTCF permits they might be criminals getting one over on the system by the (claimed) weaker LTCF permits standards in other states.

Once that “reason” been acknowledged is not that big of a jump to move this to all out of state permits NOT being honored in PA for the same "reason".

So for everyone that think this is just a Philly problem understand what happens in Philly it can effect you anywhere you live in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    ... (3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this Section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
    But conviction (Philly style) for a blatant straw purchase, on the other hand, gets you just "house arrest" and probation.
    Last edited by donm; December 9th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Do I have to be a resident of Philadelphia to attend the meeting and pose the questions? I frequent Philadelphia a lot and I can attend the meeting that day. If I do not have to be a resident of Philadelphia, I will be there. Does anyone else want to meet up and go in together if that is the case (not being a resident is okay)?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast