Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default How good are Kimbers?

I've shot a few, never owned, but think they are just damn gorgeous! So what do you think of your Kimbers? (Pictures don't hurt either... ) For me I like the Raptor, Grand Raptor, Covert, and CDP all in full size (I don't believe in a sub 5 inch 1911).

Default Re: How good are Kimbers?

My kimber is a 3in so I guess my opinion does not count

Once broke in , my kimber feeds everything and I mean everything. I have even shot 10rd mags out of it. My 5in is a Para....
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Philadelphia County)

Sure your opinion counts, I just don't care for compacted 1911's.

By far the most overpriced, and over rated guns around IMO. A lot of times they run just fine for the average shooter, but how they call any of their guns "custom" is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    By far the most overpriced, and over rated guns around IMO. A lot of times they run just fine for the average shooter, but how they call any of their guns "custom" is beyond me.
    for being overpriced and over rated they seem to sale well and hold there valve and as many people that bash them you have twice as many followers. You would not beleive how many people on this forum carry a Kimber UCII. Everyone that has shot mine has fallen in love and have either gotten one or plot ways to get mine from me.

By the way what is an average shooter ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Lehigh County)

I know you don't really care for Compact but that's what I carry, Compact SS 4", love it.

(Berks County)

When Jesus Christ returns again, He and His apostles will be carrying Kimbers. They're that divine.

Seriously, I like my Kimber, it's a good pistol. I also like my Smith and Wesson, which I think is a lot nicer looking. I've had Taurus and Springfield 1911s also, which were also great pistols. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good 1911. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a low-end Rock Island.

My Kimber Gold Guardian over my Smith and Wesson:

Last edited by crlovel; December 3rd, 2010 at 07:54 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Combined total I've owned 8 Kimbers. 6 of them didn't work properly even after the break in period and service. And my CDP cracked the frame around 3k. I still own an Ultra Carry II and it has decided to start working about 50% of the time, even after new springs. It is an external extractor model, which I feel is becoming part of the problem. My other 100% Kimber was a TLE II with internal extractor.
    Friend of mine bought a fullsize SIS model awhile back and it still isn't running 100% even after a couple factory service trips. Overall I'd try to avoid their series II pistols, or get one like their Warrior model that doesn't have their firing pin safety setup. I've had some failures to fire that seemed related to the grip safety activation of their setup.

(Chester County)

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/...r-warrior.html

http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...r=56105&page=1

Kimber sells guns because they take out full page color ads in every gun magazine, not because they're a good deal. They'll selling people an image, not unlike a country club membership.

I don't know a single hard shooting 1911 shooter who uses or recommends Kimbers. Obviously some folks here will not care of what I have to say because they have Kimber's they're happy with.

If they run through a high round count 2-day class, great. Most of them won't.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: How good are Kimbers?

Here was a sad, little, shot-out (around 3k rounds), Pro TLE/RL II, that I bought off a FL LEO off another board.

It was a competition & carry piece for him. He is also his department's Glock & 1911-certified Armorer, so he did the custom bob-job himself (and got rid of the Shwartz safety, too!!!). The finish at this point, is rattle-canned on!

Well, this is the ONLY pic of it in THIS shape I ever took. I had it in my hands less than 24 hours, before it was at my 'smitty's, who sent it off to Amelon Coatings down in VA, for some SERIOUS cerakoting!

Once it got BACK to my 'smitty, I had a Wilson Ambidextrous safety fitted to it, some new, ultrathin McCormick Rosewood grips cut down for it, and a new Wolff 16lb mainspring installed as well.

And NOW that she's GTG, I need to get a light for it, and a GOOD CCW holster, but sadly - for the moment anyways - she's just a lowly, lowly... safe queen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast