Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default So tell me about the Colt SP1

WARNING: Lots of questions

In planning my first AR build/purchase, I discovered what closely matches my plans may already exist in the SP1.

Intended use is A LOT of targets, tournaments, and competitions of all types.

I prefer iron sights
    I don't like or have any desire for lego rails to attach any sorts crap to the rifle other than a sling.
    and I ,for no quantifiable or rational reason, find anything other than grey receiver and triangular hand guards rather unappealing.

But the lack of forum talk on the SP1 (vs new production ARs)and my lack of knowledge in this platform leaves me unsure of a few things

I shoot both righty and lefty, but mostly left handed, (I'm right handed cross dominant) will brass ejection be an issue with this platform? If so is there an effective deflector add on?

Are parts pretty much the same as new ar's and/or otherwise readily available. Primary concern here barrels and trigger mods.

Will modern modular uppers (including .22lr) be compatible with these older lowers? (not a huge concern)

Is the lack of a forward assist in any way a concern? I don't see why it would be?

Ammo? If I need lighter ammo for the 1/12, is it still widely available and reasonably priced?

Were these only made with pencil barrels? I recognize the benefits of a light rifle, but will the pencil barrell start to let rounds wander when hot. And yes it will get hot.

And does anybody have one they will trade my former track miata for. Just kidding. Sort of.

(Centre County)

Default Re: So tell me about the Colt SP1

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post

In planning my first AR build/purchase, I discovered what closely matches my plans may already exist in the SP1.

I prefer iron sights
    I don't like or have any desire for lego rails to attach any sorts crap to the rifle other than a sling.
    and I ,for no quantifiable or rational reason, find anything other than grey receiver and triangular hand guards rather unappealing.

But the lack of forum talk on the SP1 (vs new production ARs)and my lack of knowledge in this platform leaves me unsure of a few things

I shoot both righty and lefty, but mostly left handed, (I'm right handed cross dominant) will brass ejection be an issue with this platform? If so is there an effective deflector add on?

Are parts pretty much the same as new ar's and/or otherwise readily available. Primary concern here barrels and trigger mods.

Will modern modular uppers (including .22lr) be compatible with these older lowers? (not a huge concern)

Is the lack of a forward assist in any way a concern? I don't see why it would be?

Ammo? If I need lighter ammo for the 1/12, is it still widely available and reasonably priced?

Were these only made with pencil barrels? I recognize the benefits of a light rifle, but will the pencil barrell start to let rounds wander when hot. And yes it will get hot.

And does anybody have one they will trade my former track miata for. Just kidding. Sort of.
    The SP1 has a different diameter receiver pin, so current market AR uppers won't mate up without some sort of adapter. Also, it's no longer in production. There are folks out there trying to collect them so I'm not sure if the price is comparable to a new AR.

I think you'd be better served by purchasing a National Match configured AR if you're looking to do a lot of target shooting/competition. Its very easy to find ARs that don't have all the rail mount crap on them.

As for the hand guards, why the old triangular ones? Why not the round hand guards? If you have your heart set on the triangular ones, they can be had but you might have to look and you might have to settle for used surplus. If you find a pair, they can be switched out with the round very easily. Then you would have a purpose built AR rifle for target shooting with triangular hand gaurds and iron sights. With an A2 or A3 upper, you'll have the triangular brass deflector on it so shooting lefty/right won't be an issue. With the old SP1 upper it may.

As for ammo, 55 gr ammo for a 1:12 twist barrel can be had, but why settle for that when you could get a better twist and shoot heavier ammo for targets/comps.

Just a thought. I'm sure there are at least one or two folks here that shoot NM ARs that will be along shortly to give you advice.

I have a 1974 SP-1 - I love it, but not for the reasons I think you would be looking for one. I love it because of its historical place in my collection, and the feel of shooting an old school Colt-original "I can't buy an M-16A1" AR. The thin barrel, the twist rate, the lack of a shell deflector (which can be a pain for a righty too) are things that are appreciated, but were corrected for very good reasons in later AR versions.

The advice above is sound: go buy a newer A2 configured AR with a better barrel. If you like the A1 handguards and the standard buttstock, buy it that way. Get a flattop upper; put a removeable carry handle on it and shoot iron sights. When you get old and your eyes go soft, throw some optics on there so you can still hit what you're aiming at.

Here's the biggest reason why you don't want an SP-1: you'll spend $300-$600 more for a comparable rifle just because there is a prancing horse on the receiver! With the depressed prices for AR's these days, you should have no problem finding an affordable rifle that fills the bill (or is close enough that you can finish it off with the right accessories.)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post

I prefer iron sights

the SP1 has very poor sights for target shooting the rear is windage only, and requires a tool/bullet and has poor aperature sizes.

no one makes gray receivers noe, and havent really since the military switched to black as the GI spec. you'll need to find old stock uppers, or get your rifle painted to match

yes, it will be an issue for a lefty, which is the exact reason the A2 model has a brass deflector. Unless you like hot brass in the face. they sell plastic deflectors.

yes and no. as mentioned, the FRONT takedown pin is larger on a SP1, and is a two piece screw type pin, rear pin is a push pin. newer uppers will not color match, nor will they drop on without a front adapter pin. The SP1 lower will not have a fence around the mag release button that helps prevents accidental mag release.
    Also, the the fire control pins on the SP1 are larger so as not to allow the installation of M16 fire components, making replacement a PITA if something does eventually break. Barrels a new and old only differ in length, diameter and twist, and still fit into uppers the same way.

answered above

not at all.

the pencil barrel is designed to use 55gr ammuntion, this is very readily available. it will NOT stabilize heavier than 55gr effectively. Regular use of heavy grain ammo in the 1/12 twist barrel will lead to excessive barrel wear

Were these only made with pencil barrels? I recognize the benefits of a light rifle, but will the pencil barrel start to let rounds wander when hot. And yes it will get hot.

yes, until the barrel contour and twist was changed in the mid 80s to the A2 profile, and yes, it will wander and string shots when hot.

answers above in RED.
    Last edited by JayBell; December 9th, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

the SP1 is not a good candidate for your intended purpose and really is better suited for nostaglia purposes only. when i first joined the service back in 81 we where issued m16's with the triangle hand guards, no forward assist, fixed carry handle and no brass deflector. today there are much better choices in the AR15 market that far surpass the capabilities of the SP1 in terms of accuracy, fit and finish and reliablity.

surplus city has a nice preban COLT HBAR in stock that i think would be a good choice and fit your needs much better than the SP1 would if you decide against building a AR. for competition shooting i would look at a COLT A3 tactical because the heavy barrel is a bit more accurate than the stepped barrrel of the 6920. of course you don't have to buy a colt rifle since there are plenty of good AR15's on the market at prices starting as low as 599. Colt, Stag, Rock River, DPMS, S&W, BM, armalite, olympic and bravo CO to name a few all make good rifles at reasonable entry level prices, less than $1200. if you buget allows you to buy something more expensive, $1300+, you can get a piston gun from ruger, sig, LWRC, LMT, or POF. shops near you that i know have excellent selections of AR rifles at good prices are Tanners, Classic Pistol and surpluc city.
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 10th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.

(Monroe County)

John i like your Philosophy regarding the Ar !5, i like them simple too.

The SP1 is very expensive and have a Cult like following, plenty to read over on www.ar15.com , so read away. Yes the takedown pins are different sizes, but any good Ar houses sells adapter pins, but like the other members stated the SP1 is mostly nostalgia.

I would start with a good Bushy, DPMS, Armalite RRA etc. Or build youir own.