Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Preemption violation in Berks County at the Sovereign Center

I was looking at the Sovereign Center website tonight and saw a prohibition of firearms in the FAQ section. The Sovereign Center, Sovereign Performing Arts Center and the Reading Eagle Theater are owned by the Berks County Convention Authority, which is a municipal authority. This is the email I sent to them tonight and I am awaiting a response. If I hear nothing I will send a letter to the city council and the county controller (or is it the solicitor?).

Note: Some of this letter is borrowed from the sticky template here on PAFOA so I can not take credit for the entire letter.

I am writing today to discuss with you a rule found in the FAQ section of the Sovereign center website, which I have linked here (http://www.sovereigncenter.com/udp.php?id=87#q16)

The section lists items that are prohibited in the Sovereign Center, Sovereign Performing Arts Center, and the Reading Eagle Theater and in that section it lists firearms as a prohibited item.

The website also states that these three facilities are "owned by the Berks County Convention Center Authority, a municipal authority formed by the County of Berks to oversee the recently built Sovereign Center and renovated Sovereign Performing Arts Center, formally the Rajah Shrine Temple.
    SMG has been chosen to manage the facilities under the Berks County Convention Center Authority.
    (http://www.sovereigncenter.com/udp.php?id=87#q18)

It is my understanding that the firearms prohibition portion of this rule is in violation of Title 18, Chapter 61, subchapter A (otherwise known as The Uniform Firearms Act) specifically subsection 6120 which states: "General rule: No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.” Because of this, licensed or otherwise legal carriers of firearms in Pennsylvania can carry every place not prohibited by state law.

The preemption statute I quoted was passed in 1995. I am unsure when the rule was established, and understand that it may have been in place before 1995, explaining why it may have been overlooked. However, there was no grandfathering of existing limitations, so in any event, the rule as it stands today is improper.

I respectfully request that this rule be changed on the website and any other place that this rule is posted. I also respectfully request that you comply with Pennsylvania State law and stop enforcing this rule at the Sovereign Center, the Sovereign Performing Arts Center, and the Reading Eagle Theater.

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to this matter.

Sincerely,
    Anthony Cosenza II
    acosenza2@gmail.com
    Last edited by acosenza2; December 1st, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Preemption violation in Berks County at the Sovereign Center

Sounds to me you make a very good point, downtown Reading is a very scary place and should never be traveled without cc. Let us know how you make out?

(Berks County)

I live in Reading and never saw this.. Great find! Rep coming your way!

(Monroe County)

I wonder if they will say that they are leasing it to the events management and they can set the rules as it is under their control during the terms of the lease.

(Berks County)

Damn, this thread is over a year old and was only one post? Where was everyone?
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Chester County)

So... Did they ever respond back to the email?

(Lancaster County)

I don't think so. Only reason I Asked is because of the country concert and me being new to ccw I am curious of the laws and just where we are permited to carry. By asking I hope to learn some of the Pa. Rules. Still trying to find my way around the forum.]
    Last edited by rlh30; February 25th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rlh30 View Post
    I don't think so. Only reason I Asked is because of the country concert and me being new to ccw I am curious of the laws and just where we are permited to carry. By asking I hope to learn some of the Pa. Rules. Still trying to find my way around the forum.]
    The law is Pa UFA supersedes local law in relation to firearms ownership & possession.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rlh30 View Post
    we have Concealed and Open Carry forums that are the proper place to ask.. in that section we have a sticky

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lancaster County)

Thanx jaybell, that was a very good site which answered alot of ?.