Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Tell me about the Saiga .410. Price? Ammo price? Reliability?

I have been looking for a new toy and have always wanted a semi shotgun. I was looking for a HD semi auto to upgrade from my 870.

I was thinking about a saiga 12 but I simply cannot afford $600+ for one. I saw a old thread saying how the .410s were going for around $275. Is that still true? How much is the .410 in bulk? I don't mind the smaller round because of the reduced recoil it would make it ideal for the gf to also use just in case.

I know to make sure to find a .410 with a two position gas setting so as long as I can find one how reliable are these?

Are 20 round mags made for these? I know I've seen them for Saiga 12's.

Thanks guys!

(Blair County)

Default Re: Tell me about the Saiga .410. Price? Ammo price? Reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post

I was thinking about a saiga 12 but I simply cannot afford $600+ for one. I saw a old thread saying how the .410s were going for around $275. Is that still true?
    Nope, try $400ish. Then on top of the parts to convert it with less options you might end up spending as much as the 12 gauge. Not to mention availability of ammo and at what cost....

How much is the .410 in bulk? I don't mind the smaller round because of the reduced recoil it would make it ideal for the gf to also use just in case.
    Going to be considerably higher than 12 gauge in the birdshot department
    $4-5 for 12 gauge vs $9-15 for .410, those are 25 rd boxes. Best price I can find quickly for .410 bulk bird is $90 for 250 rds before shipping it. To compare that against when a case of birdshot goes on sale locally for $50-60 the ammo costs start to climb quickly if you don't reload.

If you want to look into buckshot make sure to check prices against the golden/silver bear metal cased ammo, as it comes in cheaper than the domestically produced buckshot.

I know to make sure to find a .410 with a two position gas setting so as long as I can find one how reliable are these?
    In the older guns (EAA, Big Bear Arms, Kalash-USA) the .410s were a touch more finicky than the 12 gauges, as far as the current guns (RAA) I haven't heard as many problems.

Are 20 round mags made for these? I know I've seen them for Saiga 12's.
    Unless I missed something (which could be possible the .410s don't interest me as much) You're pretty much left with 10rd stick mags, either the Russian ones which are hard to find and expensive or the domestically produced ones from Surefire. That being said 922r would still apply and smacking in a 10rd stick in a sporterized gun would violate the law.

Another fun bit of trivia, the .410 mags can be 2 1/2" shells only or 2 1/2 to 3" shells, so when buying make sure you know what you're looking at.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Berks County)

Blah,

Nevermind. I checked the dates on the posts I got the price from and it was two years ago. I guess I missed the boat on the cheap saigas.

Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled. I could have sworn I saw the saiga 12's at the last gun show in Oaks for under 500 but I may have been mistaken.

(Blair County)

Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled. I could have sworn I saw the saiga 12's at the last gun show in Oaks for under 500 but I may have been mistaken.
    Stock form the going rate seems to be somewhere around $470 before shipping
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Berks County)

Sooooo now the question is if I really want to sell my 870 and how much I could get for it. I mean a shot gun is a shotgun.

Mossberg 18" barrel
    Butler creek side holder
    Extended 5 round tube
    B!ackhawk foregrip
    Synthetic butt stockand original walnut
    ATI Heat sheild

(Berks County)

Sold the Remington but now Im having trouble tracking down a saiga. The local shops can get them fro 450-470 but don't know when they will get a new shipment in.

Dilema

(Lehigh County)

You could either order locally, this is the place i bought my saiga from http://ontargetgunshoponline.com/store/conditions.php, or you could head down to valley forge show next weekend