Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Who would spend this much money on a cleaning kit?

now that i seen the link, i was refering to the little pouch that costs 50. that big kit is nice, i still hate the system. its totally pointless if you are cleaning your guns at home.

all you need is patches, brushes, mops, solvent, oil and a 1 peice rod and guide, and a tooth brush

(Lancaster County)

I actually have one of the otis gun cleaning kits that was issued to me. It works great on my M-4 and Comes with all sorts of stuff you would never think of needing but it comes in handy. I use my good old hoppes and gun scrubber on the m-4 and a little CLP after I am done. My rifle has never jammed...I don't say it is because of otis...It is more of because I know how to clean my rifle. That is how I am with all my weapons. Know how to clean it, then figure out the right tool for the job.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Bucks County)

Why are you grabbing it when its oily? There's a two piece "T" handle in the kit for pulling the cable, as far as switching ends, it's never been a problem for me, just grip up on the brass parts, not the plastic coated cable. As far as a SHTF gun cleaning kit, or a bad-ass travel kit, it's primo. For the home I still enjoy it, but it's not for everybody as previous posters have expressed.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Why are you grabbing it when its oily? There's a two piece "T" handle in the kit for pulling the cable, as far as switching ends, it's never been a problem for me, just grip up on the brass parts, not the plastic coated cable. As far as a SHTF gun cleaning kit, or a bad-ass travel kit, it's primo. For the home I still enjoy it, but it's not for everybody as previous posters have expressed.
    It's not that you're grabbing the cable when it is oily. You're grabbing the cable when your hands are oily... and I haven't mastered the art of keeping my hands clean while cleaning a gun! My kit does not have this two piece T handle, which would have been pretty helpful.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

I have just about every kit made out there including the Otis. I like to try and see what works best be it kits, cleaners etc. I have found that it is def overpriced, but also find that it works very well. It seems to cut down on my cleaning time and when you are cleaning 5 or more guns at a time then it is a real saver. Regarding oily hands, use rubber gloves....it is all I do, and gives you a better grip.

I have used a bore snake, but the little ends fall off. I used to really as a patch at the end of cleaning, vs putting cleaner on it and using it for that purpose.

Just my 2c.

Have a great day.

Jim

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    It's not that you're grabbing the cable when it is oily. You're grabbing the cable when your hands are oily... and I haven't mastered the art of keeping my hands clean while cleaning a gun! My kit does not have this two piece T handle, which would have been pretty helpful.
    Wear latex gloves. I love the smell of Hoppes and CLP, but that stuff does not come off of your hands very easily after cleaning 3 or 4 weapons with your hands soaked in it.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Allegheny County)

I ended up buying the kit. I'll post a report on it after I use it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234