Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Who would spend this much money on a cleaning kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    Uncle SAM hands these out to our boys over there. Check out the military section of Otisgun.com

http://www.otisgun.com/pc_combined_r...81B8E50D13CF3D
    Typical f#$king bullshit. Overpriced products sold to the military/govt and the taxpayers are left to pick up the f**king bill. You tellin me these things are really worth that much money?...really? Stuff like that makes me sick.

I know you personally didn't set those prices and I'm not attacking you. Actually, thanks for pointing that out.

(Berks County)

Chemical:

Your set up looks great

And I bet all of that kit came close to that one trick Otis pony

Now you just need some spare parts and other specalist tools and you are good to go

If I remember I will post my portable armorers tool box I set up. I had to use the biggest stanley tool box Lowes had, and its still a bit small

IMO boresnakes are for ppl who just want to meet their gunsmith on a regular basis

Boresnakes and dremel tools, the best friends a gunsmith ever had lol
    gotta love her ;)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Chemical:

Your set up looks great

And I bet all of that kit came close to that one trick Otis pony

Now you just need some spare parts and other specalist tools and you are good to go

If I remember I will post my portable armorers tool box I set up. I had to use the biggest stanley tool box Lowes had, and its still a bit small

IMO boresnakes are for ppl who just want to meet their gunsmith on a regular basis

Boresnakes and dremel tools, the best friends a gunsmith ever had lol
    I was going to add that everything I have came NO WHERE NEAR the Otis price. Maybe half at best. Most of my stuff came from the cheap Walmart or K mart multi kits, and I've had a lot of it for YEARS, it just lasts.

What are you guys talking about? Cleaning guns!? Why, their only gonna get all crusty again. Trust me, a good rap against a block wall gets the crud out just fine. But I could use some advice on why my guns keep jamming, FTF, FTE, etc. I'm assuming it's caused by the decline of American pride in workmanship and pride.

On a serious note, I've had fine service from my Winchester multi-gun cleaning kit. Bought it off TopHat at Slippery Rock. A cleaning kit and a show for just $25! Goes from .22 to 12g.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    I need a really good cleaning kit that can help a noob like me clean multiple different firearms easily.
    There are lots of them out there and you definately need to get one if you actually use your firearms. If your unsure of how to clean guns in general, or your not sure how disassemble yours in particular sniff around YouTube for videos. I use UT when I get something without a manual. You'll have to look around, some are total trash, poor speaking skills, bad videography, etc but there are some that are excellent.

Cleaning them isn't a big deal, other than not doing so will cause malfunctions and possibly a dangerous event. One benefit other than weapon reliability is you will be very hands on with your guns, learning more about them and one step ahead of some failure because you found some flaw before it became a problem. And then there is the er.....romantic quality of fondling your guns, massaging them gently, showing them they are loved and valued, whispering sweet nothings before the foreplay. If you want your guns to bang loudly and consistantly, clean them.

I do mine in public, right out on the front porch. It serves a couple of purposes. I don't have solvent odors in the house (I like them but others, not so much), being surrounded by disassembled firearms makes the less cordial neighbors keep their distance and just pisses off the antis walking a dog smaller than my cat. And on more than one occasion has attracted the attention of a fellow gunnut. BTW, the cat seems to prefer Break Free CLP. He likes to huff the used patches and cloths.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; December 6th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Delaware County)

I got the delux Otis kit a couple of years ago, and nowhere near the price shown by the OP. After 2 years of using it, here are my observations:

1) really great for cleaning long guns by running stuff through the barrel from the breach to the muzzle; with a little care no goo gets in the works. If you enjoy disassembly for every cleaning this kit is not for you.

2) Putting together a field version is great for semi-auto pistols and revolvers is a good thing. Once was trying out a friend's set of reload .45 acp - the degunking set was extremely handy.

3) Good revolver set (and I have multiple revolver calibers). Using the flexible cable instead of a stiff rod has helped prevent some of the scratches and occasional nasty things that I've seen done by the overzealous or over anxious rod pushers.

That being said, I also do keep a set of jags, long gun rods, pistol stuff, and other such, but I tend to use the Otis when I'm in a rush.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Clarion County)

I have the otis elite kit and love it....... It covers cleaning of every part of every gun I have .......

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post

I do mine in public, right out on the front porch. It serves a couple of purposes. I don't have solvent odors in the house (I like them but others, not so much), being surrounded by disassembled firearms makes the less cordial neighbors keep their distance
    Same here. At my old house I used to clean my H&K91, 94 and M1 out on the side porch, I got a few strange looks from the neighbor, but nobody ever bothered me or tried to break into the house.

(Columbia County)

I was searching around for a gun cleaning kit and I came across this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...292572.2292670

I thought it was pretty crazy that somebody would spend that much on a gun cleaning kit. Does anybody here think that this system is in any way worth that price?
    If I can get like 5 people to SERIOUSLY recommend it I'm going to buy it. The guns I will be cleaning are bolt-action rifles and shotguns, lever action rifles, rifle and pistol semiauto .22s, AR-15, Wasr-10, pump action shotguns, semiauto pistols, and revolvers. Will it work with all of these? What else will I need to buy?(oils n nat)
    I need a really good cleaning kit that can help a noob like me clean multiple different firearms easily.
    One of the main reasons I like this kit is because it comes with the instructional video.
    It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind to get the kit and just need validation. Go ahead and get it.

Personally, I don't like the Otis kits. I think they're overpriced and I don't like their cable system. When your hands are oily (as they always are when cleaning a gun), it's hard to get a hold of. I have one that was issued to me while I was in Afghanistan. I only used it a couple times. I'll take a boresnake and some brushes over the Otis kit. They look nice and fancy, but IMO, they're not worth the hype. I imagine their profit margin is through the roof.

(Bucks County)

i didnt even click the link and i knew it was gonna be an otis kit

terrible, i hate it. hard to put back in the pouch, hard to grip especially with oily hands.

if i needed a field cleaning kit id just buy a boresnake, a tooth brush and some oil.

at home i use a boresnake and a carbon fiber one peice rod.

id have some degreaser to clean the boresnake once in a while.

i dont mind spending money on quality stuff, but the otis system is too much of a pain in the ass.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast