Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Remington R1

(York County)

Default Remington R1

Has anyone shot the Remington 1911 R1? How did it shoot? Would you recommend buying one?

(Butler County)

Default Re: Remington R1

I have one. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it. I'd recommend it, especially for the price.

(York County)

Thats what I thought, the price seems reasonable

(Montgomery County)

I would not buy it. First off it is not made by Remington. There is another forum member on here that had a quality issue with one and quickly found the service to be shite.

Secondly, and most importantly you get what you pay for. 1911's are finely fitted and tuned machines (well, they should be). What makes the R1 less expensive then say a Wilson or Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911 is that a craftsman spent less (or none at all) time fitting the parts individually for the weapon.

Do a forum search for Remington R1 and you will find the thread I speak of. I think the subcontractor for the R1 is Korean or something along those lines. It is a Remington only in name, not that the Remington name means much anymore.

If you want a 1911, save you lunch money up for a good one. I have handled my fair share of the old slabsided beasts, and for a mid range 1911 it is hard to beat a Springfield Armory, for high end I would go with Smith and Wesson Performance Center, but that is just me. If you want good quality for low cost, buy a Glock or XD, if you want a 1911, buy a quality one.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

+1 on Steve's post. On top of that though, the R1 is supposed to be an authentic recreation of the original M1911A1 pistol. With its match barrel, lowered and flared ejection port, loaded chamber indicator, aluminum trigger, and beveled magazine well how can Remington seriously make the claim that this is a GI model? The Springfield Armory GI45 is far closer to an original than the Remington R1. The best authentic recreations of the original M1911(A1) was the two that Colt put out. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on a pair of those... But yeah OP if you want a great 1911 you're looking at an $800+ firearm. Kimbers Colts and SAs (high end ones) start in this range. $1200 will get you in the range of the really high quality models. Good luck in your choice whatever it may be.

(Bucks County)

I own one and it's a great 1911. I like it better than my 1978 Series 70 Colt.

Purdy, reliable 100% so far and accurate.

Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I would not buy it. First off it is not made by Remington.
    From Remington FAQ:

Where is the 1911 R1 made?
    These guns are built in our manufacturing facility in Ilion, NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I would not buy it. First off it is not made by Remington. There is another forum member on here that had a quality issue with one and quickly found the service to be shite.

Secondly, and most importantly you get what you pay for. 1911's are finely fitted and tuned machines (well, they should be). What makes the R1 less expensive then say a Wilson or Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911 is that a craftsman spent less (or none at all) time fitting the parts individually for the weapon.

Do a forum search for Remington R1 and you will find the thread I speak of. I think the subcontractor for the R1 is Korean or something along those lines. It is a Remington only in name, not that the Remington name means much anymore.

If you want a 1911, save you lunch money up for a good one. I have handled my fair share of the old slabsided beasts, and for a mid range 1911 it is hard to beat a Springfield Armory, for high end I would go with Smith and Wesson Performance Center, but that is just me. If you want good quality for low cost, buy a Glock or XD, if you want a 1911, buy a quality one.
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
    For only a little bit more than you'll spend on the Rem, you can pick up a decent 1911 that has been well cared for. I know RemingtonMan is selling his stainless 4" SA 1911, which is a really nice gun. You could also go for a Rock Island Armory 1911 for the same money as the Rem. I have no experience with the RIA guns, but there are plenty of guys on this forum that swear by them. Myself, I think quality meets value in the $800-$1000 range. In this range, you can get a gun that you can admire for its craftsmanship and quality, but still have a reliable and accurate field/carry piece. The best gun I've run across in that class is my Sig Sauer 1911 Stainless. I had an SA in the same price class, but the Sig is far and away the better gun. It has one of the best out-of-the-box triggers on the market.

Whatever you choose, happy hunting and best holiday wishes.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.