Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default So I put a HiViz sight on my S&W 617...

I recently purchased a S&W 617 revolver with a 4" barrel. I love the gun (and even more as it breaks in further and further) except I find that the front partridge sight can get lost pretty easily.

I have been on a fiber optic kick lately so I ordered a front site from HiViz (well technically through Amazon as it was the cheapest and had free shipping, but I digress).

I consider myself to be fairly mechanically inclined, so I decided to ignore the warnings on the SW617-G (HiViz model - green fiber) front sight packaging and NOT hire a gun smith to install the front sight onto my relatively new S&W 617 revolver (go figure, the HiViz part and the gun model are the same!).

I assumed (falsely) that the front sight is primarily held in place with the roll pin that goes through it. I love roll pins. Clever little things. I removed the roll pin with a safety pin that I snipped with a set of diagonal cutters and made a make shift punch out of. I didn't have a punch small enough.

However, the sight would not budge or come out of the gun. I tried a set of pliers to persuade it to come out but all that did was mar up the side of the front sight (even through cloth). Then I tried a set of vice grips. Even they slid off.

At this point I decided that the front sight was going and never coming back so I took a brass drift and my hammer (after wrecking quite a bit of the nylon side) and went at it. The sight finally moved and came out with a little work.

Apparently, they are in there with a lot of tension holding them in place. The roll pin is just an added security. The new part of course would not drop right in as it was ever so slightly over sizes. I guess this is why they wanted you to use a gun smith.

I carefully filed each side of the sight 3 or 4 strokes at a time and alternating back and forth until the sight would just start to fit but still required a little "help" to be seated.

Then I used the nylon hammer and assisted it the rest of the way. I lined everything up where I wanted it and found a drill bit that fit through the old front sight's hole. I think it was 1/64th, but it might have been smaller. I drilled slowly and steadily pushing a little but not too hard as the bit is quite thin.

Again, I alternated sides hoping that the holes from both sides would meet in the middle. I was pleased when they did. I was even more pleased when the roll pin didn't just fall through the hole. I punched it into place and consider it a job well done.

On a scale of 1-10 in difficultly, I'd rate it a 5. Without a punch set, I would never have been able to remove the front sight. Had I just used the punch set from the start, I also would have avoided marking up the side of the sight with anything more than a few brass marks.

On a scale of 1-10 for patience, I'd say maybe a 5. Honestly, I wasn't that bothered by the sight not coming out so easily. More intrigued. As for the filing, it didn't take long and was done with a cheap set of files picked up from Harbor Freight for like 5$.

Things I might have done differently though now knowing what I do know (aside from using the punch to get the old sight out from the start). I would have taped off the top of the new front sight when I filed the part that fits into the gun. I was pretty careful and did a pretty good job (especially for a first time), but it would have avoided 1 or 2 small scratch marks in the new sight.

I also would have filed just a hair off of the bottom of the new sight on the round part that fits into the gun. When you hold the gun at one particular angle, the smallest crack of light can be see under the front sight indicating that it doesn't sit 100% flush with the gun barrel. This won't affect anything, but I like perfection when it can be achieved.

I would have removed the sight and reworked it further but I was afraid of damaging it at that point. It took quite a bit of hitting to get the front sight into place and I didn't want to crack the plastic over-mold.

I'm all ears to any future installation tips and tricks.

For now, I'm quite satisfied with my work so I'll pat myself on the back and consider it a job well done!

-Zach

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: So I put a HiViz sight on my S&W 617...

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing it with the community. A 617 is on my short list, and I am sure I will be changing the front sight as well. Kudos for a DIY project on a fantastic wheel gun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

I have to agree with Steve. Good write up, and sounds like a job well done. A 617 is also on my shorter list. (I have a few lists...)

I find myself becoming a bit of a home gunsmith as well and tips are always welcome. I almost bought a set of HiViz sights for a Glock the other day, pretty much just because Bass Pro Shop had them. I'm glad I didn't, seeing as they go for half the price online and that particular Glock is getting tritium for Christmas anyway.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Berks County)

I was hoping for some pictures of the 617! Nice write up.

(Bucks County)

Since you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    I was hoping for some pictures of the 617! Nice write up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Very nice, thats one gun on my short list.

(Delaware County)

I dislike the HiViz because of the round top and prefer the SDM, but that is personal preference.

The way you finally removed the sight is the way it is done. Have to be very careful in the process to ensure you don't mar the finish on the revolver.

When installing the new sight, a good chamfer on the bottom edge of the tenon helps in starting it. A block of hardwood or lead placed across the top edge of the new sight protects it from damage when tapping it into place.

Proper drill bit size is #54 which is .055 inch diameter. Drilling from both sides is the preferred method. Slow and easy, be careful not to egg the holes in the barrel ramp. Some folks "mark" it with a drill start, remove the sight and drill it and reinstall. Frankly, I don't understand how they get a line drilled hole without line drilling.

All of this is a lot easier on stainless guns than blued.

(Bucks County)

Do you have a link to the SDM sight you mentioned?

And thank you for the advice. Should this situation arise for me again, I will take it.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I dislike the HiViz because of the round top and prefer the SDM, but that is personal preference.

The way you finally removed the sight is the way it is done. Have to be very careful in the process to ensure you don't mar the finish on the revolver.

When installing the new sight, a good chamfer on the bottom edge of the tenon helps in starting it. A block of hardwood or lead placed across the top edge of the new sight protects it from damage when tapping it into place.

Proper drill bit size is #54 which is .055 inch diameter. Drilling from both sides is the preferred method. Slow and easy, be careful not to egg the holes in the barrel ramp. Some folks "mark" it with a drill start, remove the sight and drill it and reinstall. Frankly, I don't understand how they get a line drilled hole without line drilling.

All of this is a lot easier on stainless guns than blued.

(Delaware County)

You can get them from Midway or any of the standard parts houses:

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Super_Sights.html

(Bucks County)

They don't have a short enough front sight on their page for the 617. It doesn't use the standard front sight.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    You can get them from Midway or any of the standard parts houses:

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Super_Sights.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast