Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lancaster County Learning the Law

I was pleased to see this early today when i was checking lancasteronline.

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/319300

Two years after controversy erupted over a previous proposal, Lancaster County commissioners are poised to vote on a new set of rules and regulations governing county park properties.

Under the new rules, carrying firearms in accordance with state law would be allowed in the county's six parks and on its two rail-trails, and swimming/wading at one's own risk in creeks and rivers also would be permitted.

The commissioners put the new proposal out for public consideration Nov. 24. It can be reviewed at the county's website, www.co.lancaster.pa.us; click on "parks" under the "departments" link. They plan to vote on it Dec. 15.

"The existing document was last revised in 1991, but most of the rules and regulations are more than 30 years old," said Paul Weiss, the parks department's administrator.

Weiss said he and his staff worked with the county solicitor's office to review every rule in the regulation manual.

Some simply had language and definitions updated, while others, such as the firearms ordinance, were overhauled.

Currently, the regulations manual outlaws the carrying of firearms in county parks by anyone except law-enforcement officers.

"Obviously, that is not consistent with the Uniform Firearms Act," Weiss said.

The Act authorizes people to openly carry handguns in Pennsylvania, or to carry them with a concealed weapons permit, anywhere in the state except for a few places, such as schools and court facilities.

In 2008, parks department staff proposed that the ban on firearms be reiterated in an update of the regulations manual.

That drew heavy criticism from the public. People complained such a rule would violate their right to carry guns.

The commissioners rejected that proposal and Weiss said park rangers have been instructed not to enforce the rule.

Proposed regulations specifically state "possession of a firearm within the park system shall be in accordance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act."

Another controversial rule change proposed in 2008 was a ban on swimming/wading in creeks and rivers.

It was proposed that such waters would be posted against swimming and wading, except for wading by anglers.

Several people told the commissioners that they like to take their kids wading in county parks to study aquatic life.

The regulations up for consideration now say nothing about swimming/wading in natural waters on county parklands.

"By not addressing it, it's then considered a proceed-at-your-own-risk kind of thing," Weiss said. "If we posted streams, then we'd have to enforce that rule."

Commissioners Chairman Scott Martin said he believes the proposed regulations manual is a good one.

"Along the way, we wanted to make sure the whole document was readable … and coincided with the courts of law," he said.

preilly@lnpnews.com

Read more: http://articles.lancasteronline.com/...#ixzz16sJ8C7kq

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Lancaster County Learning the Law

Now, are they actually going to update the signage at the parks or just let them be and not attempt to enforce it?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

i'm going to wait for the vote and once it passes i'm going to start sending emails asking how soon the signs will be changed.

(Delaware County)

Thank you for the post. A copy is going to the solicitor for Delaware County. He seems to think there is a way around this law and has been "checking" for the last three months.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Chester County)

hope they get changed...cant have peoples swimming rights infringed upon
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Montgomery County)

Right outcome, but the whole slant of the story is wrong, clearly showing that the reporter had no understanding of the issue. It's not like Lancaster County "decided to allow it". The authority is that of the state. It was never their decision to make and in fact, a crime for them to attempt to impose the regulation.

(Lancaster County)

Thats funny...I didn't know wading in the rivers and creeks wasn't legal. I have been wading the cocalico bass and crappie fishing for more than a decade. I have also been stopped by cops who just ask "hey what are you catching" and when I respond "smallmouth bass, and big ones too" they just kind of go "no way, good luck" and drive off. Ha...ephrata...gotta love it.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Montgomery County)

That sounds like fun. I haven't fished freshwater in a looonngg time.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    That sounds like fun. I haven't fished freshwater in a looonngg time.
    I am basically a guide when it comes to the ephrata strecth of the cocalico creek so if you ever want to just go wade fishing on a hot arse summer day...well all you gotta do is pm me. I fish for Largies too around the area...I have a few "secret" spots...hehe
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lancaster County)

...So who wants to help me with Manheim Township's preemption violations?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast