Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: can i carry at work?

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Would that restriction fit the prohibition "... in any way regulate"?

Obviously it does. So, no. the city of pitt can not bar it's employees from carrying, IMO.

The argument against that is that the city and it's emloyees are operating under a contract. A contract for a position that is not available to anyone who walks down the street. Unlike the access to a publicly owned facility, the prohibition is a clause of a contractual agreement. I don't think it matters. The statute says what it says. No city can "in any way regulate" the carrying of firearms .... other than existing state law... yada yada.
    I don't think a contractual agreement is an exception. It sure isn't listed as one in the law
    Wow Im really really confused. I work for a township fire dept. I stay at the building for days at a time. We are not allowed to have firearms in the building at all unless your a police officer. It states so right in our Bi Laws.
    No longer posting

(Butler County)

i bring mine to work if i am working night (like right now), especially because of some recent suspicious activity and possible B&E attempt, but i cannot legally take my weapon with me in the ambulance.

now herein lies the dilemma. im not going to leave my weapon at work on a call, so my options are stick my bag in my locked vehicle (also had vandalism/break in issues in the past), or stick my bag in the cab of the bus with me and take it for a ride.

concealed means concealed, yes? and no officer (if any were to be on scene) would have reasonable suspicion of there being a weapon onboard.

BUT, this presents another possibility... when we park, the bus is unlocked and running.. leaving it open to anyone that may decide to hop in and try to break open the narc drawer..

hmmmm...

edit: i realize this is a debate about publically owned businesses, not private ambulance services. just another sticky situation to ponder.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    Wow Im really really confused. I work for a township fire dept. I stay at the building for days at a time. We are not allowed to have firearms in the building at all unless your a police officer. It states so right in our Bi Laws.

Most twp FD's in Pa. are actually corporations. Not twp owned. And as such can ban firearms.

If twp actually owns the property it can not, IMO, as it would violate 6120.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarr View Post
    i bring mine to work if i am working night (like right now), especially because of some recent suspicious activity and possible B&E attempt, but i cannot legally take my weapon with me in the ambulance.

now herein lies the dilemma. im not going to leave my weapon at work on a call, so my options are stick my bag in my locked vehicle (also had vandalism/break in issues in the past), or stick my bag in the cab of the bus with me and take it for a ride.

concealed means concealed, yes? and no officer (if any were to be on scene) would have reasonable suspicion of there being a weapon onboard.

BUT, this presents another possibility... when we park, the bus is unlocked and running.. leaving it open to anyone that may decide to hop in and try to break open the narc drawer..

hmmmm...

edit: i realize this is a debate about publically owned businesses, not private ambulance services. just another sticky situation to ponder.
    i can understand you problems. They area I work in is a higher crime area. So much so that my boss lets me park my motorcycle in the station so no one bothers it. I wasnt going to even bring up the no firearms in the ambulance. I value my job to much to risk it by bringing my gun with me. Beside once im in the station all doors lock and you cant get in without a key or code.
    No longer posting

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Most twp FD's in Pa. are actually corporations. Not twp owned. And as such can ban firearms.

If twp actually owns the property it can not, IMO, as it would violate 6120.
    we are township owned
    No longer posting

(Butler County)

i can understand you problems. They area I work in is a higher crime area. So much so that my boss lets me park my motorcycle in the station so no one bothers it. I wasnt going to even bring up the no firearms in the ambulance. I value my job to much to risk it by bringing my gun with me. Beside once im in the station all doors lock and you cant get in without a key or code.
    we are locked up too, but that obviously did not stop the attempt 2 sundays ago

locking the ambulance would be futile anyway, as there is a switch hidden in the grill to unlock it all (incase of crew lockout), so, really cant win!!

what (general) area do you serve?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarr View Post
    we are locked up too, but that obviously did not stop the attempt 2 sundays ago

locking the ambulance would be futile anyway, as there is a switch hidden in the grill to unlock it all (incase of crew lockout), so, really cant win!!

what (general) area do you serve?
    lancaster county
    No longer posting

(Monroe County)

Bad idea,So you think that your killer, robber, mugger ,rapist will be someone from the outside? What if the killer , mugger , robber , rapist etc. is already on the inside? According to FBI statistics available at the FBI UCR database over 80% of the people who are killed were killed by someone that they know, 85% of women who are raped are raped by a relative or someone that they know.

Have you ever heard of workplace violence? Did you know that even military bases have been shot up and soldiers killed by other soldiers?
    Did you know that even Churches have been shot up and people killed by church members.

This is Faulty thinking that can be detrimental.
    Always plan for the unexpected.
    Nothing is ever what it seems, no one is ever who they seem to be.

(Luzerne County)

A warning about even discussing the idea of carrying at work:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/52...light=searched

You are NOT necessarily anonymous on the internet... Just don't want to see other folks get jammed up over nothing, like I did.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Bad idea,So you think that your killer, robber, mugger ,rapist will be someone from the outside? What if the killer , mugger , robber , rapist etc. is already on the inside? According to FBI statistics available at the FBI UCR database over 80% of the people who are killed were killed by someone that they know, 85% of women who are raped are raped by a relative or someone that they know.

Have you ever heard of workplace violence? Did you know that even military bases have been shot up and soldiers killed by other soldiers?
    Did you know that even Churches have been shot up and people killed by church members.

This is Faulty thinking that can be detrimental.
    Always plan for the unexpected.
    Nothing is ever what it seems, no one is ever who they seem to be.
    yea and i can be killed in the shower because im not armed, or while im sleeping because i didnt wake up, or ............ sometimes you just have to trust in fate.
    No longer posting

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast