Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default M&P45 Range Report

I finally caved in to the great M&P deals ($50 rebate / 2 free mags) and picked up a M&P45 over the weekend. I hit the range on Sunday, and brought my S&W1911 for comparison purposes.

First off, the M&P is a soft-shooting .45. I had read many people saying it, but of course didn't believe it could be as soft as they have said. I think that it is softer than the 1911, and didn't have as much muzzle flip either.

I shot a little over 100 FMJ rounds (and a few more HP's) with no failures of any sort. The mags themselves are very tough to load, but assume that will get better. I couldn't even load the full 10 rounds most of the time (stuck with 9).

The trigger isn't anything to write home about, but this should improve after time. It has some takeup, and the break-point is a bit heavy. But it is consistent each time, so you will get used to it.

Rumors have it that extended 14 rounders will be available at some point (extending below the grip), which will make it a very good HD choice.

For anybody considering a .45, make sure you take a look at the M&P. The promo runs until the end of January, so you have time to make a decision.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: M&P45 Range Report

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    ........ The mags themselves are very tough to load, but assume that will get better. I couldn't even load the full 10 rounds most of the time (stuck with 9).
    Last week I handled a M&P45 at a local gun shop and was impressed with the feel of the handgun. I wish that they would put on on their rental line. I the mag capacity limited to 10 rounds? Thanks.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
    I couldn't even load the full 10 rounds most of the time (stuck with 9).
    I never did understood about S&W's reasoning behind stikin' with 10rds mag with their 45, while all other polymer framed 45 have more(XD, 24/7, G21, just to name few).

I would love to have M&P45, but I have few issues with them(besides above mentioned 10rds mag).
    I do not understand why S&W made barrel for 45 from 4.25" of 9mm/40/357 to 4.5". my 9mm with 4.25" barrel is just perfectly balanced for shooting and CCW.
    while 0.25" may not be alot, when you hold it, it seem alot more then just 0.25"
    And trigger is, even tho according to S&W is SAME as my 9 - same travel(Rest to Fire .300 in), and same reset(.140 in), and same weight(6.5lb) they do NOT feel as crisp as mine is. may be because mine have fired over 5000rds, but i don't recall my trigger feeling mushy like 45's.

But other then overall demetion, other short commings are easily fixable. I'll prolly get one sometime(after I get 357Sig model that is)

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I never did understood about S&W's reasoning behind stikin' with 10rds mag with their 45, while all other polymer framed 45 have more(XD, 24/7, G21, just to name few).

I would love to have M&P45, but I have few issues with them(besides above mentioned 10rds mag).
    They simply have SKU numbers indicating models that are legal for sale in states with mag capacity limits. They were designed to handle hi cap mags. Dunno why they took so long getting them to market.

I do not understand why S&W made barrel for 45 from 4.25" of 9mm/40/357 to 4.5". my 9mm with 4.25" barrel is just perfectly balanced for shooting and CCW. while 0.25" may not be alot, when you hold it, it seem alot more then just 0.25"
    The M&P is what it is, the "military" and "police" model. It was designed as a duty weapon. They now offer a compact in the 9/40 and will be releasing a compact in the 45 as well. Barrel length on autoloaders is not the limiting factor re: CCW. To me it's not an issue.

And trigger is, even tho according to S&W is SAME as my 9 - same travel(Rest to Fire .300 in), and same reset(.140 in), and same weight(6.5lb) they do NOT feel as crisp as mine is. may be because mine have fired over 5000rds, but i don't recall my trigger feeling mushy like 45's.
    Now this is the part I do agree with you in that what I know about the burwell and bowie trigger action jobs is such that S&W should be doing that at the factory. Mostly it's profiling the engagement surfaces of the striker and sear.

(Monroe County)

I think this was done for two reasons:

1) With a 10-round limit, the same gun package could be sold in all states.

2) The 10-round magazine is probably smaller than the others which means it has a smaller grip (I can definitely say the M&P has a smaller grip than the Glock, but will say the XD is also very comfortable and it has the 3 round advantage). Even the new HK45 has a 10-round limit.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

The M&P is what it is, the "military" and "police" model. It was designed as a duty weapon. They now offer a compact in the 9/40 and will be releasing a compact in the 45 as well. Barrel length on autoloaders is not the limiting factor re: CCW. To me it's not an issue.

If i have one and trained with it, I'll prolly get used to it, and becomes no issue i'm sure. But as of right now, I'm so used to my M&P and its length, 45 "feel" like much longer pistol then what it actually is.

Don't get me wrong. I do like to have one. I'd much perfer to carry M&P45 then 1911 type 45