Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Hunter found dead in Quakertown

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    My story goes like this, The special regs area in SEPA used to be rte 30 and 100 or something like that and rifles were legal in Marsh creek SP and Warwick areas. I was on the hill in the public game lands until noon. I cut a fresh blood trail and decided to follow it. If there was a gut pile then story has a happy ending, If there was a deer at the end then I would help the guy find it, if he didn't show up then I would tag it and drag it. Any way, I get into a real hellified thicket, I had to crawl on my hands and knees through briars and such to follow this blood trail. I hear a shot about 50yds away or so, I figure I jumped the wounded deer and another guy finished it off. I yelled out "Hey did you get the deer?" and the guy says "NO". I come out onto the main trail a few minutes later and said "Which way did it go?" He says, "up over that way." I said "Was it a buck or a doe?" He says "I didn't see it I shot at the sound, its the second "Sound Shot" I have had today" I said "what?!?" he says "its the second sound shot I have had today"
    I flipped out on this guy. I walked up one side and down the other. I demanded his back tag number and he started to back away. then turned and ran down the trail. I kept screaming at this fudd about how insanely stupid he was and I WAS IN THAT THICKET YOU JUST BLINDLY SHOT INTO!! until I couldn't see him anymore.

Even now my blood boils at the memory
    You are a stronger man than I am. I have a temper but I've never had the desire to get physical with anyone (except my brother, we used to fight like dogs). But I would have had the extreme desire to knock this guy out. Just reading your story makes my blood boil. The adrenaline alone would have enabled me to chase this jackass down and tackle him for his back tag. This seriously infuriates me. I'm reminded of one time this past summer when I was pulling into an intersection on my motorcycle and some lady in an SUV, driving 65 mph coming off the highway, decided to run the red light. Yeah, I'm 22 and I had my short life flash before my eyes as I watched her SUV pass my front tire by a few feet as I screeched to a halt. I then tracked her down up to the next light, buzzed up to her window, and gave her a piece of my mind. I wanted her to look into the eyes of the person she almost killed. Good thing I developed the habit of looking both ways even when the light is green.

At any rate, I know it should surprise me that there's people out there that aim at sounds and shoot, but sadly it does not surprise me. Working at Cabela's in Hamburg, I met some of the idiots that are in the woods with us. Years of retail have made me lose faith in the majority of humanity.

Stay safe gentlemen.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I had a big doe broadside lined up in the sites and hesitated. She was full out in the open. I hesitated because my hat had come down and I couldn't see right and I didn't want to chance it. The doe then turned facing straight on towards me, but I saw the night before what that type shot can do- bust through and also hit the paunch. Neck shot? No, I am trophy doe hunting, want a big doe=must have good cape. Broadsides only. Plenty of good backstop too.

If only all these stupid "hunters" would be even half as picky as me. Who wants to gut shoot a deer intentionally? Why shoot at " the bit of brown", as it might be the hind legs? Plus hunting should not be just about the kill. I hunted and didn't even fire a shot. In fact I kinda got this deer hunting bug out of my system, but it did help that I got free meat from another hunter who lives next to Loch Raven here in Balto co MD, where deer hunting is really just culling an extreme overpopulation. He has plenty of meat, donates the rest to the food bank program. This deer was a piebald buck with lots of white so he wanted the full hide, and offered me the meat since I was skinning it.

I am back to obsessing about coyote trapping...
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by MirandasPits View Post
    I've never hunted but have always wanted to. Needless to say, I highly doubt I'll ever do so. I have seen some of these backwards folk at the range. I'll stay in the city.
    Not all hunters are like that, there are many responsible hunters who do not fit the "Fudd" stereotype, but there are also just as many real life Fudds.

I live by Lake Nockamixon, and one thing I find humorous, and scary is that during the first days of hunting season there is a stretch of rte 563 that has cars parked along it for what seems like a good mile or so. I am pretty sure they are all hunting the strip of land between the road and the lake, which is pretty narrow. Every year I am amazed at the amount of hunters there, and also amazed that no one gets shot.

I hunted frequently when I was in my 20's living in western MT, and it was an enjoyable experience, that was 20 years ago though, and as much as Id like to get into it again I really don't have the foggiest idea where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Not all hunters are like that, there are many responsible hunters who do not fit the "Fudd" stereotype, but there are also just as many real life Fudds.

I live by Lake Nockamixon, and one thing I find humorous, and scary is that during the first days of hunting season there is a stretch of rte 563 that has cars parked along it for what seems like a good mile or so. I am pretty sure they are all hunting the strip of land between the road and the lake, which is pretty narrow. Every year I am amazed at the amount of hunters there, and also amazed that no one gets shot.

I hunted frequently when I was in my 20's living in western MT, and it was an enjoyable experience, that was 20 years ago though, and as much as Id like to get into it again I really don't have the foggiest idea where to begin.
    I know the exact part you are talking about and yes, it is amazing...maybe the only questionable act these guys partake in is the close proximity of their hunt. Maybe the exercise good judgment and proper organization? I have passed on a bunch of occasions when they were all standing in line for the Game Warden to check their licenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    My story goes like this, The special regs area in SEPA used to be rte 30 and 100 or something like that and rifles were legal in Marsh creek SP and Warwick areas. I was on the hill in the public game lands until noon. I cut a fresh blood trail and decided to follow it. If there was a gut pile then story has a happy ending, If there was a deer at the end then I would help the guy find it, if he didn't show up then I would tag it and drag it. Any way, I get into a real hellified thicket, I had to crawl on my hands and knees through briars and such to follow this blood trail. I hear a shot about 50yds away or so, I figure I jumped the wounded deer and another guy finished it off. I yelled out "Hey did you get the deer?" and the guy says "NO". I come out onto the main trail a few minutes later and said "Which way did it go?" He says, "up over that way." I said "Was it a buck or a doe?" He says "I didn't see it I shot at the sound, its the second "Sound Shot" I have had today" I said "what?!?" he says "its the second sound shot I have had today"
    I flipped out on this guy. I walked up one side and down the other. I demanded his back tag number and he started to back away. then turned and ran down the trail. I kept screaming at this fudd about how insanely stupid he was and I WAS IN THAT THICKET YOU JUST BLINDLY SHOT INTO!! until I couldn't see him anymore.

Even now my blood boils at the memory
    That is absolutely infuriating. I literally have never heard of 'sound shots' before until this thread. I can't believe people are that stupid (yes I can).

Quote Originally Posted by MirandasPits View Post
    I've never hunted but have always wanted to. Needless to say, I highly doubt I'll ever do so. I have seen some of these backwards folk at the range. I'll stay in the city.
    I'd still feel safer out in the woods with these idiots than in Allentown. Take a look at the news, far more people are robbed, killed, mugged, etc. in the cities than get shot in the woods. It sounds scary when a bunch of the worst stories are pooled together in one thread, but it's really not that bad.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Bucks County)

Wounder what the name of a want to be gun slinger or cop or tacticle apocalypse person is called rambo?

The name fudd is disgracefull in the gun community. I am still appalled at the people who use this for hunters. It is a term anti hunters have coined to stereotype all hunters.

Kind of like to anti gun community uses automatic to describe semiautomatic or assault weapons used to describe a 10/22.

Think before u label. Or some dumb drunk jar head wanna be cop with a tacticle assualt 10/22 may end up on the news when in actuality he was just a Guy...

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Wounder what the name of a want to be gun slinger or cop or tacticle apocalypse person is called rambo?

The name fudd is disgracefull in the gun community. I am still appalled at the people who use this for hunters. It is a term anti hunters have coined to stereotype all hunters.

Kind of like to anti gun community uses automatic to describe semiautomatic or assault weapons used to describe a 10/22.

Think before u label. Or some dumb drunk jar head wanna be cop with a tacticle assualt 10/22 may end up on the news when in actuality he was just a Guy...
    Editing. It's a good thing.

Anyone who has a good enough point to make, that they take the time out of their day to share it with the world at large, should take the extra time to read what they just typed, and make the words reflect their thoughts with clarity, so that others may share them and reflect and improve their own lives with your wisdom.

I think we're all looking to cause an "ah-HA!" moment when people's minds are changed, not a "WTF?" moment as they struggle through the scrambled prose.

Posts are supposed to be brief snippets of wisdom, like the "Thought for the Day" blurb; not like the Word Jumble in the puzzle section.

(Montgomery County)

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-h...,6721581.story

Rifle seized in the same caliper as the bullet found.

(Bucks County)

wow. just wow.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    wow. just wow.
    You can say that again. WTF, over.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast