Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Hunter found dead in Quakertown

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    In PA, the law does indeed make such a requirement, but an applicant simply 'affirms' the fact by their signature. I completed the required course a few years ago, before purchasing my first hunting license, but I was not asked to show proof while completing the purchase of my license.
    Sort of like going to vote and not prove who you are.

I am older than you and when I went to get my license, i had to show proof of a Hunter Safety course. Maybe it was because I was 12.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Montgomery County)

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...red-rifle.html

Hunter killed by high-powered rifle

By: CHRISTOPHER RUVO
    The Intelligencer

The weapon, which is not permitted for use by deer hunters in Bucks County, could help authorities identify the person who shot Barry Groh.

The bullet that killed a Quakertown hunter in the Richland woods was fired from a high-powered rifle, a weapon illegal for deer hunting in Bucks County, authorities said Wednesday.

Knowing the type of weapon used to kill 52-year-old Barry Groh Monday could help authorities identify the shooter, and the district attorney said investigators are interviewing "people of interest."

"We are satisfied from the evidence that the shot was fired from a high-powered rifle," said Bucks District Attorney David Heckler. "The question now is who fired the shot, and what was their state of mind."

Hunting deer with rifles is illegal in Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties - Pennsylvania's more densely developed areas. Deer hunters in Philadelphia can use only bows or crossbows.

Whether the rifle was being used by a hunter or someone else who came into the woods to target Groh is part of the investigation.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say there had to have been some mal-intent. Something must have happened, maybe Mr. Groh spotted the individual with the center fire and told him that he would call the game commission, an arguement broke out maybe? The Individual could have had warrants for his arrest, and the rest is history. The police find a smashed bullet with no shell casing , no rifle, no way of knowing where the shot was taken from. Not everything is as cut and dry as it is in NCIS. The clock is ticking. I've seen things like this almost happen in bucks county...Bedminster specifically, fortunately there were multiple people from the hunting party to bear witness. I wonder what John Papson's(Game Warden for that area) thoughts are. I also wonder exactly how the investigation is being handled, that is a huge factor in any condition. People become extremely passionate during deer season, tempers flare. I just hope justice is served for Mr. Groh and his family.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

This is truly a sad thing that happened. This was only a few minutes from where I live & exactly the reason I dont out the first few days of gun season too many people with the if its moving shoot at it mentality feel real bad for the family. Kinda almost sounds like he was shot for the deer then they ran when the other hunters came along and found him especially since they said a riffle was used. If thats the case hope they find the scumbag and let the family have at him. My wife already said your never going hunting again I told her thats one of the reasons why I go out hunting with the brother in law.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I carry a very lightweight secondary vest I put on to clean or drag my deer so I am always orange. I used to hang my hunting jacket close by but decided to just keep one on.

This is upsetting EVERY time this happens.

My guess is Groh was over heated from the drag, removed the vest so he could remove some layers, with the intention of putting it right back on. Who hasn't done that?

The perp broke one law by using the rifle so he gets no slack whatsoever. Then to bolt and not render aid, strike two. And of course strike three was the shot. They will catch him and he should spend a long time in a state prison.

There also was a hunter recently killed with a shot to the neck by his "buddy" who mistook him for a turkey. R U kidding?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Berks County)

Ok, can someone school me here? It's rifle season, but it's illegal to hunt in Bucks county with a rifle? Is that all rifles, or just centerfire? What type of weapon would the killed hunter have been using? A muzzle loader?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Ok, can someone school me here? It's rifle season, but it's illegal to hunt in Bucks county with a rifle? Is that all rifles, or just centerfire? What type of weapon would the killed hunter have been using? A muzzle loader?
    shotgun bow muzzle loader
    FJB

(Montgomery County)

The counties surrounding Philadelphia are shotgun only for large game. Philadelphia county is archery only.

(Bucks County)

It's Firearm season and there are shotgun only restrictions in special regs. areas.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Monroe County)

I was surprised when I recently found out that it was legal and acceptable to take a "level" shot. I had not been told so, but I had always assumed that the only legal and acceptable way to hunt was either from a tree or when when stalkhunting to only shoot down from high ground. I had taken it for granted that people don't shoot unless they can see dirt behind the deer.

In any case, I don't want to be responsible for hurting a person, so I only shoot if I see the ground behind my target.
    Last edited by tsafa; December 2nd, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast