Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Hunter found dead in Quakertown

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post

1) Ive seen mention in this thread of a moving platform? Was he hunting from a 4wheeler or something?

2) Does he not now face more serious charges because he tried to cover up his involvement ?
    From what I get from the articles, the hunting party was on ATV’s on the Manilla 80-acre property. Manilla allegedly stopped and jumped from his ATV and shot toward the creek on Richland Township property where Groh was hunting and had taken a 9-point deer. Groh's orange vest was found on nearby brush with no evidence of blood stains (probably off at the time of the shooting) and his orange hat was found in the creek at his feet.

Marino IMHO should face some sort of criminal charge or at least a nice sanction from the bar since he admitted in a subsequent interview that he had not been completely forthcoming.

Manilla IMHO should get the full treatment for the many gun laws and hunting regulations he broke and the full 35 years worth of Bubba's bitch time and hopefully the straw purchase stuff will be nailed to his ass too.

The fact that in the previous "in the neck" shooting Manilla never expressed any remorse tells me a lot about Manilla's character or lack thereof.

(Bucks County)

Why in the 1993 incident were charges not filed for firearms violations? Manila's felony occured in the 80's right?
    My monies on yet another round of nepotism.
    Last edited by PocketProtector; December 18th, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Why in the 1993 incident were charges not filed for firearms violations. Manila's felony occured in the 80's right?
    My monies on yet another round of nepotism.
    I would imagine the 'traffic ticket' like violation was written in the field by a deputy WCO (Game Commision volunteer) and no background check was ever run beyond previous PGC violations.

(Northampton County)

It's unconscionable to me how 3 people can stand over a body and not one of them had the decency to dial 911 and report this tragic accident, If indeed that’s what it was. their all criminals and should all face the same fate.

I agree. If any of the other two were regular Joes without any connections you can probably bet that they would be charged with something.

It is also ABSOLUTELY amazing that a former D.A. would take part in the attempted cover up of this.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I agree. If any of the other two were regular Joes without any connections you can probably bet that they would be charged with something.

It is also ABSOLUTELY amazing that a former D.A. would take part in the attempted cover up of this.
    Amazing that he's not facing any charges
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Monroe County)

I read the whole story in the MCALL today and what a connected privileged douchbag! All of them should be charged no one gave help and instead let this guy try to cover it up.
    As others had said in this thread, this should be handled by the state, the local PD and courts would not give a fair trail to the victims family.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Amazing that he's not facing any charges
    I covered this before, but what exactly would you charge the former DA with?

The felon's possession of the guns during the hunt was just a continuation of his possession for (apparently) some years. The uncle didn't supply the rifle or shotgun, he didn't allow the sociopath to hide the gun in his truck afterwards, he hasn't (apparently) lied about any aspect of the shooting.

In the absence of any obligation to report crimes to authorities, what would you charge him with? Conspiracy to hunt deer during deer season?

Sure, if it was me, and my nephew had nearly killed two men to my knowledge, yes, I would certainly take steps to minimize the danger he posed to the world. But there's no law saying I have to, it's just how I was raised, to be decent and responsible. Others appear to have been raised...differently.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I covered this before, but what exactly would you charge the former DA with?
    Misprision of felony? (EDIT: I now see you actually made note of this yesterday; I remembered it from an independent source and meant it as an illustration of something a DA can apply but that will not stick, the intended example of it being applied as a common law crime in PA, to which a defendant might be forced to bring to the attention of the court that common law crimes were abolished almost 4 decades ago per statute at a time long after bail had been set.)

It's not about what PocketProtector would charge, but what any DA would 'try to slap on to see what sticks' for underprivileged persons. It so often doesn't matter if the charges a DA applies are deserved or applicable, only that it actually occurs.

As for other parties withholding information (and I have not really delved into this story to know), regardless of their office or station, I think they have a reasonable fear of self-incrimination just like we'd have in so many cases in our United State of America, enough to withhold at their leisure. They deserve neither extra privilege nor extra scrutiny because of their associations or current/prior office...
    Last edited by MDJschool; December 18th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    Misprision of felony? (EDIT: I now see you actually made note of this yesterday; I remembered it from an independent source and meant it as an illustration of something a DA can apply but that will not stick, the intended example of it being applied as a common law crime in PA, to which a defendant might be forced to bring to the attention of the court that common law crimes were abolished almost 4 decades ago per statute at a time long after bail had been set.)

It's not about what PocketProtector would charge, but what any DA would 'try to slap on to see what sticks' for underprivileged persons. It so often doesn't matter if the charges a DA applies are deserved or applicable, only that it actually occurs.

As for other parties withholding information (and I have not really delved into this story to know), regardless of their office or station, I think they have a reasonable fear of self-incrimination just like we'd have in so many cases in our United State of America, enough to withhold at their leisure. They deserve neither extra privilege nor extra scrutiny because of their associations or current/prior office...
    I did address the Federal "misprision of a felony" statute back in post 155:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/1185...ml#post1432742

I'm not aware of any state statute that does the same thing (but bonus points to you for spelling "misprision" correctly.)

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast