Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hunter found dead in Quakertown

Criminal charges forthcoming today, keep those calls coming in to the Bucks DA office

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...ers-death.html

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    So this Manilla handjob bashes someone's head in, does time, then becomes a Lawyer? That's incredible.

The shoplifting thing reminds me of Winona Ryder. He really couldn't just have paid for it up front? Just another Goon.

Not to defend this guy, but he's still just a suspect. A suspect that knows Law. Looks like the Prosecutor has their work cut out for them.
    I don't think there is a any clear rule with the PA bar that a felon cannot become a lawyer. In all the fairness, I'm not sure how the moral fiber of some lawyers is any different than that of criminals.

Anyways, I've met this Manilla guy before. I also have a friend that used to work out with him. Some guy annoyed him at the gym and he flipped out. Rhoid rage?...I dunno but not out of the question. You'd think the dude is normal upon meeting him but apparently not. Then again, are any of these Ahnold pump-me-up types normal?. I always thought the gym thing was an isolated incident but now knowing his entire history, a lot of red flags are raised.

I'm guessing they had an argument over who's property the deer was taken on and Manilla once again, turned into a nut.
    Last edited by JP8; December 17th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.

(Montgomery County)

scum bag.
    I hope he gets what he deserves. He'll make Bubba a nice bitch

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    He'll make Bubba a nice bitch
    Lol..I doubt that. Manilla is one big mofo.
    Last edited by JP8; December 17th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.

This guy's disturbing criminal history is irrelevant to any trial, the jury won't know about the shoplifting, or the head-bashing, or the previous hunting mishap where the guy was shot in the neck.

Based solely on the published news accounts, and knowing the odds of anyone happening to be involved in 2 "accidental" hunting shootings plus one "provoked" attack using a metal rod against a man's skull, it sure looks like the guy could be a sociopath, with connected family members who provide cover. Almost like a Kennedy. I'm no doctor of any sort, and I have only a layman's knowledge of psychiatry. But seriously, what normal person could have done these things? Who keeps hunting after shooting an innocent guy in the throat? Who keeps hunting after he loses his right to own guns, and uses an illegal rifle to do it?

"Moral turpitude" is grounds for refusing admission to the bar, but if you have connections, I suppose that an exception can be made. If a history of willful illegality isn't moral turpitude, then what is?

But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was either not convicted, or isn't sent to jail. I'd bet money that the testimony of his hunting companions will be helpful to him, and there are no other witnesses.

This looks like his MySpace page; the last line is sort of creepy:

DUI ATTORNEY's Blurbs
    About me:
    I am Attorney David M. Manilla, a nationally recognized instructor in breath, blood, urine chemical and physical testing for sobriety. I have successfully defended Driving Under the Influence cases throughout Pennsylvania and as far as San Francisco, California.

My office is located in the greater Philadelphia area; however, I often travel throughout Pennsylvania for representation. I have lectured at state and national levels for organizations such as Defense bar, Law Enforcement and Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors.

Educated in theories of chemical testing, I have also represented distributors of chemical testing instruments. Also, I am a published author on such material, and have received education and training by the leading authorities in this field, as well as receiving degree(s) and Pennsylvania delegate position from the National College of Drunk Driving Defense.

I received my Juris Doctor Degree from Villanova School of Law. Yes, I am a local guy!!! The additional locations of training and education I have acquired regarding Driving Under the Influence, Breath Alcohol Analysis, Forensic testing of Blood and Urine, Chemistry, Physiology, Medo-legal Aspects of Pharmacology, and Field Sobriety Testing include but are not limited to the following:

• Emory University • Penn State • National Medical Associates • Forensic Associates • Georgia Tech • Headline Legal • National College of Drunk Driving Defense • Ursinus College • Montgomery County Community College • Temple University • American Association of Science • International Association of Chemical Testing • Academy of Forensic Science • NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) • Villanova School of Law

I am also affiliated with, or certified and/or trained by, the following organizations:

• Pennsylvania Criminal Law Section • Criminal Rules Committee • Criminal Defense Association • Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL) • National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) • Pennsylvania Bar Association • American Bar Association • Montgomery Bar Association • International Association of Chemical Testers (IACT) • National College for Drunk Driving Defense (Sustaining Member) • National College for Drunk Driving Defense (Delegate for Pennsylvania) • American Association for Advancement of Science • Forensic Services • American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA) • National Medical Services (NMS) (forensic laboratory) • Villanova School of Law

Presently, I hold the highest degree of specific alcohol and drug related training in Pennsylvania. No other defense attorney holds the education levels and degrees I possess in this field. It is unlikely that you will find a more qualified and educated defense attorney.

And why I am qualified to defend you. CALL ME! 610-584-0364

Who I'd like to meet:
    ALL OF YOU!!! It's not my job to decide morality or legality of my client, it's my job to represent them to the best of my ability!

I have a hunting question: What precise "season" was it when this happened? I know for sure that we never have a "kill anything over 50 pounds" season, so shooting at "something" moving in the woods is never acceptable. But is there an "any deer" season, or do we have "doe" or "buck", or how does it work?

I hear a lot of stories about "hunters" who fire shots at movement. I was under the impression that you had to clearly identify your target. so that you didn't shoot a deer in bear season, or a dog while hunting pheasants, or a human being during any season. Why isn't "shooting blindly" grounds for a lifetime hunting ban? You know for damn sure that if I did inside the WalMart I'd not only be unable to hunt again, I couldn't own a gun again. Why is it OK if there are trees around you?

(Montgomery County)

Gunlawyer: It was the opener of general firearms season for deer. Buck mainly but Doe if you have at tag. During this season all other hunting seasons close in PA, with the exception of waterfowl (I think)

You're supposed to clearly identify your target and know what is behind your target.

I've passed on a few deer in the past because either I wasn't sure of the shot or what was behind it. I hear a lot of stories about people shooting at sounds, movements etc... every season you hear about people doing this.

I think there is a punishment if found guilty but I don't think it's a lifetime ban. Not sure this would have changed anything in this scenario anyway. He wasn't supposed to have a gun why would not being allowed to have a hunting license stop him from hunting?

The mercury posted a picture from 2004 of the suspect hunting in Skippack PA, probably Evansburg state park. In that picture he is holding a firearm, shotgun to be exact. He didn't seem to care one bit about the law.

caption reads "David Manilla hunts deer in a wooded area of Skippack Township on the opening day of the season in 2004. Photo by Geoff Patton"

(Montgomery County)

From the morning call

A Montgomery County lawyer with a history of assault and reckless hunting will face misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter and other felony weapon charges in the shooting death of a Quakertown hunter killed on the opening day of firearms deer season, according to court records released Friday.

David Manilla, 49, of Worcester will be arraigned this afternoon in Quakertown for the killing of Barry Groh, 52. Prosecutors said Groh was killed with a high-powered .30-06 pump rifle, which is illegal for deer hunting in Bucks County where only shotguns are allowed because of the high population density. He also was illegally hunting from all all-terrain vehicle, according to the charges.

Manilla was hunting with his uncle, former Montgomery County District Attorney Michael Marino, who also served as a county commissioner, and Robert Monestero, the court document said.

According to a Friday morning news release from the Buck County district attorney's office, Manilla's charges will be involuntary manslaughter, three counts of illegal possession of firearms and reckless endangerment as well as several crimes related to hunting. The hunting charges include shooting at or causing injury to a human, failing to render assistance after an incident, unlawful taking or possession of game and shooting a loaded firearm from a vehicle in motion.

(Bucks County)

More of a scumbag than we even thought. But only misdemeanor manslaughter? That's ridiculous
    http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...,3649469.story
    Last edited by PocketProtector; December 17th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post

caption reads "David Manilla hunts deer in a wooded area of Skippack Township on the opening day of the season in 2004. Photo by Geoff Patton"
    I guess that whole "license must be clearly displayed on the middle of the back" is the least of his worries now right?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Here's the affidavit supporting the charges:

http://media.phillyburbs.com/media/n...aAffidavit.pdf

I used to work at the Montco courthouse many years ago. I knew Mike Marino -- or I thought I knew him. I was wrong -- he is not the honorable and decent man I thought he was. He lied to investigators to cover up his nephews crime. He did not even attempt to aid Mr. Groh. He knew Manilla was a convicted felon, and not only did not prevent him from illegally hunting, he aided and abetted him in his act. Marino should face charges as a result of this, not just Manilla.

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast