Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hunter found dead in Quakertown

News Update: FLASH FLASH FLASH!!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=7840594

RICHLAND TWP., Pa. - December 13, 2010 -- Authorities say they've got a suspect in the slaying of an eastern Pennsylvania hunter found shot to death on the first day of deer season.

Bucks County District Attorney David Heckler declined to release the name of the suspect in the shooting of 52-year-old Barry Groh, but tells The Morning Call of Allentown he hopes to announce an arrest soon.

Groh was found dead on November 29 shortly after killing an eight-point buck. Other hunters found the Quakertown man's body shortly after he'd called his family, seeking his son's help to carry the deer out of the woods.

Authorities say Groh was killed by a high-powered rifle, which is illegal for deer hunting in Bucks County.

CL

(Montgomery County)

I've been keeping an eye on this. Hopefully whoever it is that did this is brought to justice. I'd like to know the reason why this was done... not that it changes anything but it would be nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on this. Hopefully whoever it is that did this is brought to justice. I'd like to know the reason why this was done... not that it changes anything but it would be nice to know.
    I would also like to see this person brought to justice. I think of it as if being my father who called me to help him, then show up to a scene like that. My heart goes out to the Groh family.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Philadelphia County)

Looks like the suspect is a repeat offender and has an uncle who is the former Montco DA.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...co_lawyer.html

Posted on Mon, Dec. 13, 2010

Probe of deer hunter’s death centers on Montco lawyer
    By Larry King

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

An investigation into the Nov. 29 shooting death of a Bucks County deer hunter is centering on a Montgomery County lawyer who was cited for careless hunting in a previous shooting accident.
    The criminal probe by the Bucks County District Attorney's Office has become focused on David M. Manilla of Worcester, confirmed Richard Winters, one of two lawyers representing Manilla.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Looks like the suspect is a repeat offender and has an uncle who is the former Montco DA.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...co_lawyer.html

Posted on Mon, Dec. 13, 2010

Probe of deer hunter’s death centers on Montco lawyer
    By Larry King

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

An investigation into the Nov. 29 shooting death of a Bucks County deer hunter is centering on a Montgomery County lawyer who was cited for careless hunting in a previous shooting accident.
    The criminal probe by the Bucks County District Attorney's Office has become focused on David M. Manilla of Worcester, confirmed Richard Winters, one of two lawyers representing Manilla.
    Wow. How did this guy ever become a lawyer? I had no idea a convicted violent felon could even apply to take a bar exam.

Sounds like a swell guy, felony assault for fracturing a man's skull and causing brain damage, shooting another man in the neck during a hunting accident, and shoplifting at Cabelas... and this guy works in the criminal justice system. Nice.

Regardless of this guy's guilt or innocence, I wonder if he will be prosecuted for weapons violations? Being a felon, he's a prohibited person, yet was hunting with a rifle.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

So this Manilla handjob bashes someone's head in, does time, then becomes a Lawyer? That's incredible.

The shoplifting thing reminds me of Winona Ryder. He really couldn't just have paid for it up front? Just another Goon.

Not to defend this guy, but he's still just a suspect. A suspect that knows Law. Looks like the Prosecutor has their work cut out for them.
    Last edited by animalmother85; December 14th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.

Maybe he wasn't the one that took the vest off, someone that shot him may have,to make it look accidental. Prayers for his family and friends

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    So this Manilla handjob bashes someone's head in, does time, then becomes a Lawyer? That's incredible.

The shoplifting thing reminds me of Winona Ryder. He really couldn't just have paid for it up front? Just another Goon.

Not to defend this guy, but he's still just a suspect. A suspect that knows Law. Looks like the Prosecutor has their work cut out for them.
    Right, and should be well aware of the fact that felons cannot posses firearms.... so look for that to be bargained out right away otherwise he may have a hard time fighting it....

In my opinion.... anyone in that hunting party should also be held liable if they knew this person of interest was a convicted felon and shouldn't be able to access firearms.

Right, and should be well aware of the fact that felons cannot posses firearms.... so look for that to be bargained out right away otherwise he may have a hard time fighting it....

In my opinion.... anyone in that hunting party should also be held liable if they knew this person of interest was a convicted felon and shouldn't be able to access firearms.
    Good point...that slipped right past me. Can they prove that he actually had a firearm in his possession that day? How extensive was the search to see if his rights were restored? Remember, news articles botch facts all the time.

Also, as I re-read the article, it states that (in reference to the assault charges)
    In that case, Common Pleas Court Judge Paul W. Tressler told Manilla he would not have accepted the plea deal had Marino not presented testimony that the victim was initially the aggressor in the fight.
    Heat of the moment self defense type of thing maybe? He could have had one solid whack on the other guys head to get the guy to knock off whatever he was doing, in turn it cracked his skull (go figure) and caused brain damage. I don't know, I wasn't there.

Now as far as having access to firearms, are you saying that everyone else should lock up everything they have or that he should know that he cannot touch them?

(Luzerne County)

He received his summary offense for shooting the guy in the neck with his shotgun after his felony assault charge... However, I don't see any weapons charges listed on his rap sheet. Yet, the antis want to cram more gun control laws that are plea bargained away down our throats.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast