Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default questions about hunting clubs that lease land.

I've been looking into getting some land in the northeast part of the state for a little bit. Something between two and three hours from Philadelphia.
    I've found plenty of places that I could afford, but also a few that were bigger, but just a bit out of my price range. It occurred to me that since I'll only be using it for weekends/vacations, maybe I could get a bigger place, and lease it to a hunting club, or just hunters?
    So, with that in mind, I have a few questions for people in hunting clubs, or who lease land for hunting.
    1) how much land do you need? I'd guess that the more the better, but what would be the minimum for it to be worthwhile for you?
    2) what type of access do you want/need? Would a club normally expect year long access to the land? exclusive access?
    3) how about a cabin? Required? Nice, but not neccesary?
    4) how much do you expect to pay? I'd guess that it would vary based on size and terrain, but since I have absolutely no idea, any info you can give me would be helpful.

As an example, one spot I was looking at was a little over 40 acres, 3 hours from Philly, part wooded, part cleared, road access but no structures. If I got it, I'd probably plan on putting in a well, and building a small cabin with some bunks and a wood stove.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: questions about hunting clubs that lease land.

The club of which I am a member leases over 2800 acres for $355/member(about 50 members). That allows 24/7/365 access. There are trails of varied terrrain, a clubhouse, the option of using a camper(no hookups).
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Delaware County)

Wow, 2800 acres? Thanks for the info, I'm clearly barking up the wrong tree.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    Wow, 2800 acres? Thanks for the info, I'm clearly barking up the wrong tree.
    Lol, I'm sure you could do it on a smaller scale. You'd just have to coordinate schedules.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

To give you an idea, the lease is $17K for the year for those 2800 acres.

If you were do it on a smaller scale let me know. I have a group of people that might be interested.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Lycoming County)

I know a fellow, just East of Williamsport a ways, that leases out 80 acres for hunting. It does not always need to be large parcels. However, you can not get a large sum for the lease. Obviously, the larger the parcel, the more hunters fit and the more you can charge.

One thing that complicates purchasing land right now, at least in NEPA and NCPA, is the Marcellus Shale. Many properties for sale now have had the mineral, more specifically gas, rights severed. Often, conventional lenders do not lend on them. The benefit is, purchasing a property's surface rights may be easier, and cheaper, if you do not need to get a loan or mortgage for the purchase.

Be safe (and stake a claim!).

Scott

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I know a fellow, just East of Williamsport a ways, that leases out 80 acres for hunting. It does not always need to be large parcels. However, you can not get a large sum for the lease. Obviously, the larger the parcel, the more hunters fit and the more you can charge.

One thing that complicates purchasing land right now, at least in NEPA and NCPA, is the Marcellus Shale. Many properties for sale now have had the mineral, more specifically gas, rights severed. Often, conventional lenders do not lend on them. The benefit is, purchasing a property's surface rights may be easier, and cheaper, if you do not need to get a loan or mortgage for the purchase.

Be safe (and stake a claim!).

Scott
    Ok, that answers another question of mine, which was why did all of the properties that I saw have the OGM stripped from them.
    If I picked up a property like that, what should I reasonably expect? I don't particularly care about gas rights, I'm not getting a place for the purpose of drilling, but am I going to drive up one day to see the land clearcut, and covered with derricks?

Also, any idea how much your friend gets for those 80 acres? The intention wasn't to make money, just to make the purchase a little easier.

(Monroe County)

you need to go west. North and East are expensive
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.