Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Bethlehem PD's response to LTCF

Here is a recap of an interesting conversation I had with the desk sergeant from the Bethlehem PD a few weeks ago:

I called to find out if they do fingerprinting for employment and licenses. I wanted to get fingerprinted for my FFL application and my FL LTCF. The desk sergeant asked what kind of license am I talking about. I said a FL LTCF and an FFL. He asked me if I lived in FL and why do I need fingerprints done here in PA. I then told him I live in Bethlehem and wanted a FL LTCF. His response: "You're going to carry a gun here?!!!!!" He seemed annoyed that I would dare lawfully carry a firearm in Bethlehem. I can only imagine what would happen to some guy who was carrying with a valid permit from FL and got stopped. Furthermore, he said they don't do THAT kind of fingerprinting (which I know for a fact they do). I went to lehigh County Prison and a very cute girl did it. No hassles no fuss.

Reminds me of an incident that happened to me about 20 years ago. The Nazareth Police (now the Colonial Regional Police) came to my house investigating a break-in at my neighbor's place. I came to the door OC'ing The cops asked me to step outside whereby the took my firearm and searched me. They asked me for my "permit" and I produced it (remember this was before shall issue was in effect, so carry '"permits" were rare) I produced it and said I really don't need one since I am at home. They rebutted by saying that since I stepped outside I am no longer "inside" my residence ( I was still on my property, though. ) They confiscated my Walther and asked if I had anymore "weapons" I said "Yes, I have another pistol." They asked where it was and went to get it (A S&W 69)-IN MY HOUSE! They said I could get them back once they "checked out" my "permit"

A week went by (no word about anything)and I went to the police station asking to get my firearms back. They told me they had been "lost" and that I shouldn't make a fuss over it. I wrote a long letter to the Police Chief and he responded by saying that none of his officers would ever take a firearm and how dare I imply that they would.

I was really young (22)and unknowledgeable about the particulars of the law. I didn't realize that many of my civil rights had been violated. If this happened today, things would have gone differently. The police think they can do whatever they want under the color of the law.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Bethlehem PD's response to LTCF

I have no respect for the bethlehem PD any longer after they have shown me time and time again A) they have no knowledge of the law, and B) do not care about individuals civil rights, after they illegally confiscated my brothers pistol. Upon going to the station to retrieve the weapon we were told it was in the "evidence room" and could not be removed. Then we were told it was going to be destroyed. Long story short after several months of going back and forth the weapon was returned, neither I or my brother was happy, and a complaint was filed.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Phlsphyguy View Post
    The Nazareth Police (now the Colonial Regional Police) came to my house investigating a break-in at my neighbor's place. I came to the door OC'ing
    Unless things changed Nazareth still has their PD. Colonial PD serves some surrounding townships.
    I can only go back maybe 30 years but NC wasn't that difficult to get a license in my experience then.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Unless things changed Nazareth still has their PD. Colonial PD serves some surrounding townships.
    I can only go back maybe 30 years but NC wasn't that difficult to get a license in my experience then.
    Nazareth PD is currently being disbanded to be taken over by Colonial Regional, as of mid 2011. I don't know when it goes into effect, but one of my best friends' dad is the mayor and he is constantly in the news about it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm88000 View Post
    Nazareth PD is currently being disbanded to be taken over by Colonial Regional, as of mid 2011. I don't know when it goes into effect, but one of my best friends' dad is the mayor and he is constantly in the news about it.
    I thought Nazareth was covered by Forks Twp. PD...or IS that Colonial?

(Monroe County)

True, but it's still not a done deal. This thread is almost a year old.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I thought Nazareth was covered by Forks Twp. PD...or IS that Colonial?
    Nazareth PD is right in town. But there is a confluence in this area of Nazareth, Colonial, Lower Nazareth (Upper?), Bushkill, Moore Township, all kinds of cops. Some of them work for more than one department in the area.

(Northampton County)

Wow....I'm not too far from Bethlehem (luckily, outside their jurisdiction) but according to the locals from where I moved (used to live very close to Kutztown) the local PD are not only somewhat Wermacht-esque, but also poorly educated on the law and civil rights. I CC constantly, anywhere and everywhere except going onto the grounds of a school. I'm starting to wonder if/how worried I should be about these bozos.

(Lehigh County)

Regarding Bethlehem - yes they can be a little overbearing, but Mary Mother of God - stay out of Hellertown, their PD is like the Gestapo. I was unlawfully detained and searched against my will there 2 years ago, as a passenger in a car which was pulled over and their PD thought the driver (not me) who is an active U.S. Marine, was intoxicated (he wasn't.) I was pulled out of the car and they went thru all my stuff. I wasn't carrying then, I didn't even own a firearm back then, and wow, I'm sort of glad I didn't back then. They were awful.

Regarding Bethlehem - yes they can be a little overbearing, but Mary Mother of God - stay out of Hellertown, their PD is like the Gestapo. I was unlawfully detained and searched against my will there 2 years ago, as a passenger in a car which was pulled over and their PD thought the driver (not me) who is an active U.S. Marine, was intoxicated (he wasn't.) I was pulled out of the car and they went thru all my stuff. I wasn't carrying then, I didn't even own a firearm back then, and wow, I'm sort of glad I didn't back then. They were awful.
    Were any lawsuits or complaints filed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast