Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Stolen gun recovered in PA

Last edited by inh40; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Stolen gun recovered in PA

Some municipalities make it a pain in the butt to get your guns back.. You shouldn't have to go to court. Did the officer ask you to fill out any forms? Its a good chance you'll have to fill out a release form of some sorts, but other than that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops of fire or perform any dog & pony shows.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

This?.....

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Police recovered a stolen handgun and made an arrest following a crash Sunday.

Adalberto Sanchez, 30, of the 2800 block of Herr Street in Harrisburg, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol/controlled substance, resisting arrest, receiving stolen property, firearms not to be carried without license and careless driving and racing on highways.

Police said Sanchez crashed his vehicle into an embankment near Sycamore and South 28th streets.

After police tried to detain him, he fled the scene toward Harrisburg Greenbelt.

Police arrested him after a short chase.

Sanchez hid a handgun under a parked vehicle in the vicinity, police said.

The gun was reported stolen from Milroy, Pa.

Police are asking anyone with information in the case to contact Cpl. Kevin Gallick of the Swatara Township Police Department at 717-564-2550.
    http://www.wgal.com/news/25954524/detail.html

(Luzerne County)

Contact the police department that recovered the firearm. They may want to do some ballistics on the firearm in case it was used in a crime, but after that you should be able to get the firearm back.

You shouldn't have to go to court.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by inh40 View Post
    No, I wasnt asked to fill out any forms yet. Im scared if I would have to go to court. I dont want to face this guy. They were checking to see if used in any crimes and also talking to the DA to see if I need to be at court. I havent heard anything though, since Friday.
    You may have to wait until a trial is complete so that they can use the gun as evidence. But you shouldn't have to go to court unless you are an accuser, which any defendant has a right to face his accusers.

Just call the officer or department in question and ask him what they are going to need to release your gun back to you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lancaster County)

I'd think the best idea would be to call the PD that called you and ask them the procedure to get it back.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Unhappy Re: Stolen gun recovered in PA

Last edited by inh40; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:18 PM.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

OP,

this is my opinion, facts are for wikipedia.

Chill. Your ex was (succesfully) trying to manipulate you into fearing him. Let me make this clear - you have NOTHING to fear as long as you reported that weapon stolen ( which I see you did )

AT worst, you may not be able to pass a PICS check without issue (and maybe even not, I'm no officer/lawyer) the fact that someone accuses you of making a straw purchase has to be PROVEN in court. You are innocent until proven guilty, and in this case it sounds like your ex is a piece of work. He obviously cannot own a firearm, (now I'm assuming) is a felon, and you seem to have no problem passing a backgroud -

- these things get looked at by court. I think you've let the guy in your head to much. Just be forthcoming and specific and as helpful as you can be with the detectives and have a drink! You've done nothing wrong here as far as I can tell.
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by inh40 View Post
    I dont even know this guy to accuse him of anything, I dont know who took the gun, I suspected an ex because he stole money from me and a credit card, but they told me its not him. I dont want to keep bothering the officer who contacted me about this, Im just so scared and dont know what to think. Im scared if I do have to court this guy will lie and say I gave him the gun or something stupid to try to get out of charges and then they will look at me like I filed a false report or something. Mainly because if it was my ex who took it and sold it or what the case may be, he tried to take once in front of me and I seen him he played it off like he was joking, I said it wont be so much a joke when I report it stolen if you ever did that, he said they wont belive you I would say you sold it, I said yeah right, he said they would believe me because I would have people come as witnesses and say they seen you sell it.
    Can he get away with this? Im a nervous wreck about all of it and honestly at this point I dont care if I ever get the gun back, the cops could keep it! I just want this all to be over with. Im the victim and I feel like If I am forced to go to court, I am being forced in harms way and if my ex has anything to do with this, if he lies like he said he would when he was "joking" I dont want them looking at me like Im not being truthful.
    My stomach has been in knots over this and I been crying about it and I just want it over with.

Regardless, you did report it stolen. It is your gun, so dont be afraid to call the officer to get it back. By not calling you are just giving in on the "system" and the people who took it. Stand up for what is yours and for your rights. By not accepting your gun back is a win for the thief that stole it, it furthers the act of stripping you of what is rightfully yours.

Calling the officer a couple times isn't harassment or being a problem. It is the act of a responsible citizen who want their possessions back.

If anything, not following up on these things could be construed to mean that you are trying to avoid the whole situation because of some shady issues.

Just call the officer and ask, "Hello Officer (insert name). What do I have to do to get my gun back?", "Do I need to sign some release forms?", "Is there any time restraints due to the other guy getting charges that will slow up the process?"

(Lancaster County)

Just another note, when you do go in and pick it up, ask them to verify that it was removed from the NCIC system. If they do not do that, it will still be listed as a stolen weapon nationwide. It's a very simple thing for them to check and should only take a couple of minutes.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast